Livestrong Armstrong Swansong

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited November 2010 in Pro race
Last chance to see him:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... -race.html

Adelaide's nice at that time of year, I gather!
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I wonder how much they are paying him this time?
  • Money for nothing, chicks for free.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I <3 Lance! :)

But a little voice at the back of my head tells me I may be let down in the future...
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417

That rather depends on whether his swan song is worth more than his regular appearance fee:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 5940386618
  • LJAR
    LJAR Posts: 128
    I <3 Lance! :)

Is that a heart or an asshat?

I <=3 Lance :wink:
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Christ, he's like Terminator. Flickering back into life just when you thought it was all over.
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    Pokerface wrote:

same again. hardly news, the agreement he signed last year was to take part in the 2010 AND 2011 TDUs :roll:
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • Pokerface
    lucybears wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

same again. hardly news, the agreement he signed last year was to take part in the 2010 AND 2011 TDUs :roll:

Are you sure about that? Not 2009 and 2010?

If he had already signed an agreement for 2011 - why is everyone so surprised he's riding it? The common perception was that he was done after the Tour - and now he's riding this last event. Seems like it wouldn't be a surprise if he had previously signed and agreed to ride. :roll:
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Maybe it's something to do with him not winning a stage at the Tour, despite giving it a good go? (together with the money and adulation, of course!) :wink:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Trek may yet struggle to design a UCI-compliant dropped top tube frame for riders sporting leg-irons.
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    rdt wrote:
    Trek may yet struggle to design a UCI-compliant dropped top tube frame for riders sporting leg-irons.
    This just had me thinking that they may use Sam Cooke for the theme tune.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Pokerface wrote:
    lucybears wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

The common perception was that he was done after the Tour - and now he's riding this last event

I think I read somewhere that he's still going to do some races in 2011 as preparation for the Ironman triathlon next summer...
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    lucybears wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

He didn't sign up again last year to do both rides.

The South Aust government have been facing increasing scrutiny about LA's appearance fee.

In 2010, the TDU cost budget went up from 15 to 17 million dollars only AFTER it was announced LA was coming.

Two weeks ago in Parliament, under questioning, the Minister for Tourism conceded that the 2011 Tour Down Under budget didn't include any LA appearance fee money. Once those figures become available under the Freedom of Information Act in South Australia, the government will once again be under the pump for spending 2 million dollars on him (Especially when 3 large country hospitals are looking at closing down because the government will not fund them 1.5 million dollars all up).

You can rest assure that if the TDU knew LA was definitely coming back that would have included his fee in the original budget to avoid all this.

Back in Jan LA mentioned he MIGHT come back - that was all.
  • oh bloody hell. can't he just retire properly and bugger off to count his ill-gotten gains?
    attention-whore3.jpg
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    oh bloody hell. can't he just retire properly and bugger off to count his ill-gotten gains?

Sort of begs the question. Would you retire from a job you loved, made tons of money from, and allowed you travel all over the world? He's supposed to retire because YOU want him to? :roll: :roll:
  • dennisn wrote:
    He's supposed to retire because YOU want him to? :roll: :roll:

Yeah, if he wouldn't mind...
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:

Well, pretty much like you and I, I think Lance is going to do what Lance wants to do and your input, or anyone else's, for that matter doesn't mean squat to him. :wink::wink:
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Well, pretty much like you and I, I think Lance is going to do what Lance wants to do and your input, or anyone else's, for that matter doesn't mean squat to him. :wink::wink:

So you KNOW lance do ya? Boils need lancing and vice versa.

Laughing emoticon.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • He's supposed to retire because YOU want him to?
    can't actually remember saying that?
    I'd say there are many reasons why he should - because he's past it, because cycling is a much worse sport when he's involved, and so on.
  • ratsbeyfus
    He's supposed to retire because YOU want him to?
    I'd say there are many reasons why he should - because he's past it, because cycling is a much worse sport when he's involved, and so on.

You have to realise that Dennisn doesn't actually read posts. You can ignore him, but he won't go away; you can try to argue against what he says - but he won't answer a direct question; you can TAKE the p!ss and laugh at his LA man crush - he doesn't usually rise to it. Just don't mess with his mind too much though, coz he's found a way of punching people across the internet, and has even done time for it in a virtual-prison.

russellyoungDennisHopper.jpg

@ratsbey
  • dennisn

Well, you did ask WHY doesn't he retire and I'm sure you want hm to.
    I would ask you again why would someone retire from something he loves, makes bunches of money from, and allows him to travel all over the world. I don't know about you but that sure sounds good to me and I certainly would not retire from a job I loved because some whiny person thought I should.
  • I would ask you again why would someone retire from something he loves, makes bunches of money from, and allows him to travel all over the world.

well, you would hope that said person had a conscience when they had cheated their way to all those bunches of money (is that the correct collective noun for currency?), but clearly he doesn't.
  • dennisn
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

You have to realise that Dennisn doesn't actually read posts. You can ignore him, but he won't go away; you can try to argue against what he says - but he won't answer a direct question;

Sory, but I didn't quite understand the "direct question" you were asking me. Please repeat. :roll: :roll:
  • dennisn
    I would ask you again why would someone retire from something he loves, makes bunches of money from, and allows him to travel all over the world.

well, you would hope that said person had a conscience when they had cheated their way to all those bunches of money (is that the correct collective noun for currency?), but clearly he doesn't.

So you do agree with me??? Why would he retire?
    I remember someone once interviewing Willie Nelson and asking him when he was going to retire. He answered something to the effect "All I do is sing and golf, which one do you want me to give up?".
  • dennisn
    I'd say there are many reasons why he should - because he's past it,.....

Maybe you should quit riding because you're "past it". Any glory days you've had are probably well behind you. Do everyone a favor and get off the road. For that matter just quit doing much of anything and pratice working that TV remote. :wink::wink:
  • ratsbeyfus
    dennisn wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

You have to realise that Dennisn doesn't actually read posts. You can ignore him, but he won't go away; you can try to argue against what he says - but he won't answer a direct question;

Sory, but I didn't quite understand the "direct question" you were asking me. Please repeat. :roll: :roll:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    So you KNOW lance do ya?
    Not a very intelligent question, but one I asked you 2 posts back, and similar to the kind of cr@p you've been filling up the internet with for some time.

I see your :roll: :roll: and raise it to a :twisted:

@ratsbey
  • dennisn
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

ratsbeyfus wrote:
    So you KNOW lance do ya?
    Not a very intelligent question, but one I asked you 2 posts back, and similar to the kind of cr@p you've been filling up the internet with for some time.

Assuming that you have never met him, then I know him as well as you do. :wink:
  • ratsbeyfus
    dennisn wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

ratsbeyfus wrote:
    So you KNOW lance do ya?

I've never met him. But I do try and keep informed about him and other cyclists by reading about them before making comments.

@ratsbey
  • dennisn
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

ratsbeyfus wrote:
    So you KNOW lance do ya?

I've never met him. But I do try and keep informed about him and other cyclists by reading about them before making comments.

Wait a minute, you've never met him and I'm a fanboy(at least according to most on this forum), stay with me now. If I'm this fanboy wouldn't I know more about him than all of you put together. I mean, that means that I hinge on his every word, every movement, every breathe he takes, I know about? Right? OK, now I see it. If any of you need to know anything, anything at all, about him, let me know and I'll fill you in. I guess I sort of make BikingBernie look like an amateur. Ahhhhh, the advantages of being a fanboy.
  • Pokerface
    Love him or hate him.... I wouldn't say he's 'past it' quite yet. He may not win the Tour again, but he's still better than a LOT of riders out there. So should they all quit too?

I'm no fan, but he has as much right as any other rider to be out there if that's what he wants to do.