Tyre cut

lloydy123
lloydy123 Posts: 74
edited November 2010 in The workshop
Managed to get a cut in my tyre the last time out. My tyre is only 400 miles old, do i ned to replace it or can it be fixed? Here is a pic:

DSC_0305.jpg

Thanks

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Is that the inner tube poking out? If so, yes, I'd bin it.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    yes, that hernia looks like inner tube.
    You might get away with superglue, but you'd really need a tyre boot inside as well, and even then I wouldn't want to trust it not to fail suddenly and inconveniently......bin it !
    Misguided Idealist
  • KL.
    KL. Posts: 14
    Doesn't look good but Shoe Goo might work ... http://www.ausport.com.au/catalogue/c4/c91/p488

It is much more flexible than Super Glue :)
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Depends whether you'd rather risk a blow out in traffic, going round a corner, roundabout, down a steep hill, in front a bus etc [insert precarious situation] for the sake of the cost of new tyre.

Personally I'd use that tyre on the turbo but not sure, knowing it was there, that I'd be happy to batter along on the road on it.

Stinker it's only done 400 miles, but perhaps not worth putting yourself at unnecessary risk given how relatively cheap you can get a new tyre for.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Only good for turbo use.

Glue an old piece of inner tube inside the tyre as a temporary fix, although some say a piece of aluminum drinks can is a very tough liner.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    Hi Ive use a park boot patch for a while, but on the back wheel only.
    They are like a credit card.
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Park-TYRE-TUB-TUBE-SPARES-ACCS-Park-TB-2C-Emergency-Tire-Boot-set-of-3/PARKTYRZ250000000000

but keep an eye on it but really consider binning it.
    I carry a boot in my cycle bag to get me home if a tyre gets a cut :x

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I'd bin it. Any bit of kit you don't have complete faith in isn't worth owning IMO.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    I'd scrap that. It looks a very thin casing for a commuting tyre...?
    Cheers,
    W.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    It looks a very thin casing for a commuting tyre...?

+1
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    get some good quality duck tape, (they do an extra strong version I think) Then use a Large puncture patch with plenty of glue to fix it from the inside, if its too big use a piece of thick, DH innertube and then line that section of the tyre with the duck tape, making sure it's well stuck down and pressed in, maybe use 2 layers where the actual hole is. Finally fill the hole with rubber soloutioion from a patch kit from the outside, let it set and then finish it off with some superglue, sand this down to the tyre level if needs be.

I'v been running a MTB tyre with a 1 inch gash in the side wall like this since the spring... it's far from Ideal, but it works, and is holding strong....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    joshtp wrote:
    get some good quality duck tape, (they do an extra strong version I think) Then use a Large puncture patch with plenty of glue to fix it from the inside, if its too big use a piece of thick, DH innertube and then line that section of the tyre with the duck tape, making sure it's well stuck down and pressed in, maybe use 2 layers where the actual hole is. Finally fill the hole with rubber soloutioion from a patch kit from the outside, let it set and then finish it off with some superglue, sand this down to the tyre level if needs be.

I'v been running a MTB tyre with a 1 inch gash in the side wall like this since the spring... it's far from Ideal, but it works, and is holding strong....

I can see that working for a while on a 2", low-pressure MTB tyre.... I don't think it's practical on the tyre in the OP's picture, where a 1" gash would be bead-to-bead and it needs to hold in 100psi or so!!

Cheers,
    W.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    joshtp wrote:

I can see that working for a while on a 2", low-pressure MTB tyre.... I don't think it's practical on the tyre in the OP's picture, where a 1" gash would be bead-to-bead and it needs to hold in 100psi or so!!

Cheers,
    W.

True, a 2.5 inch MTB tyre is tougher, but its also having alot more forces put through it... harder cornering forces, sharp rocks, and lots of mud.

Still I can see your point.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    joshtp wrote:
    joshtp wrote:

Cheers,
    W.

True, a 2.5 inch MTB tyre is tougher, but its also having alot more forces put through it... harder cornering forces, sharp rocks, and lots of mud.

Still I can see your point.

ORLY?