Blue to Red - where to go

xterra
xterra Posts: 117
edited November 2010 in MTB beginners
Done several blue runs now Dalby and Whinlatter and am ready to try a red ..
Any recommendation on any good red routes for that first step up, and indeed if there is much of a difference?
My fitness is not too bad, but it may be my technical capabilities that let me down!! What i mean by that is i will try anything, but weather i finish on 2 wheels is another matter lol !! my nice shiny Anthem has a few scratches and bumps :D

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You're the only one who knows how confident you are on a bike. It's not a decision for anyone else to make.

Despite that, I bet you'll get a crapload of answers ranging from
    "red routes aren't that hard"
    "black routes are just as easy"
    "stay away until you're confident"

and of course... the old classic:
    "riding out in the wilds is more satisfying, and I've never ridden a trail centre so I KNOW it's better"
  • I would say the south loop at whinlatter is easier than the north, in terms of technicality. There's just one big rock you might have to walk down at the start of the first descent if you're not too confident. Apart from that it's nice and 'flowy' and all rollable. The climb's a bugger though :wink:

The North Loop is certainately rideable, (it was my first route on my old BSO) but can be daunting for a beginner. Especially the last section where one side of the trail is effectively a cliff. That descent is something pretty special though once you get your head round it.

Perhaps have a try at Grizedale Forest, it's commonly percieved as an 'easy' red, it has quite a lot of boardwalk in it though so it's probably best to go on a dry day if it's your first time there as it can get quite slippery.

I'm afraid i can't comment on the reds at Dalby as i've never been, but i'm sure plenty of other members will have.

Whichever one you do i'm sure you'll have a blast, the challenge is worth it IMHO
    :D
  • hammy7272
    hammy7272 Posts: 236
    First trail centre my pal and I went to was Dalby. We started on the Blue as we didn't have a clue! However, half way round we saw a path with a red sign, we looked at each other and thought fu&* it. Never looked back. The red is quite long but if you go at your own pace it has some great bits.

Good luck and go for it!
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    The grading system is inconsistent so as Yeehaamcgee said you are the only one who can judge what you're capable of.
    From my personal experience the trails in Dalby are way off.The Blues should be Green and the Red should be Blue etc compared to elsewhere.The Red at Whinlatter is tougher than the Red at Grizedale and neither compare to the Reds in C-Y-B or at the 7Stanes IMO.
    Just go out and give it a go,you only get better/more confident if you test yourself.
    and of course... the old classic:
    "riding out in the wilds is more satisfying, and I've ridden BOTH so I KNOW it's better" :wink:
  • xterra
    thnx guys - looks like its a get out there a try it moment!!!

ill let you know how it goes :mrgreen:
  • Llandegla can get pretty packed but is one of the best reds for a beginner. Nothing technical just loads of flowy stuff. Its not too long either. The black should be graded as red so i'd even go so far as to try a bit of that as its just as flowy. You can always bail back onto the firetrack. I've done most of the trails now and this one I find a great confidence builder. As an intermediate rider with not the best fitness i'd suggest you stay away from Gisburn until the summer. Its techy and gets really boggy in winter.
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    ibbo68 wrote:
    From my personal experience the trails in Dalby are way off.The Blues should be Green and the Red should be Blue etc compared to elsewhere.
    Just go out and give it a go,you only get better/more confident if you test yourself.

as ibbo said,you have to gain confidence by getting out and trying the trails,and i now find that the red route at dalby is too smooth and no challenge,but thats cause ive been out riding twice a week most of this year on the moors/dales and peaks,so my confidence has grown,only thing id say is,get out there and ride mate.
  • I think this is half the problem with trail centres... Back in the day you just planned a route and rode it, if there were parts you couldn't ride you got off and pushed... The next time you'd maybe ride a little more and then eventually build to riding the whole thing.

With trail centres it's a bit of a leap of faith... If I find myself out of my depth part way round I can't exactly back track without being a nuisance... If I push onwards I'm a risk to myself and others.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • xterra
    OK - Dalby planned for this weekend.. if anyones around say hello as you burn past. i could be the guy tentaively tetering over the edge of each drop lol....... sorry if i hold you up.. :D

but seriously, looking forward to it and will let you all know how i get on - thanks for the views so far..
  • Anonymous
    kaytronika wrote:
    I think this is half the problem with trail centres... Back in the day you just planned a route and rode it, if there were parts you couldn't ride you got off and pushed... The next time you'd maybe ride a little more and then eventually build to riding the whole thing.

With trail centres it's a bit of a leap of faith... If I find myself out of my depth part way round I can't exactly back track without being a nuisance... If I push onwards I'm a risk to myself and others.
    Load of nonsense. If you can navigate using a map, then you can certainly find the right forest tracks to take you back to the carpark at any trail centre.
  • altern_8
    xterra wrote:
    OK - Dalby planned for this weekend.. if anyones around say hello as you burn past. i could be the guy tentaively tetering over the edge of each drop lol....... sorry if i hold you up.. :D

but seriously, looking forward to it and will let you all know how i get on - thanks for the views so far..

im looking at going to dalby friday morning,if youre going over the weekend,saturday looks best day for weather,as for the red route there are what id call 2 big drops,ive seen plenty of ppl walking them including myself on 1 of them :oops: ,the rest are steps,which have chicken runs to the side of them now,theres a few tough climbs just keep a eye over youre shoulder if you have to walk them,the rest is smooth and flowing,and there are plenty of escape routes back to visitor centre,just look out for them on the route markers if you feel the need to use them,enjoy youreself and do it at youre own pace :wink:
  • xterra
    what id call 2 big drops,ive seen plenty of ppl walking them including myself on 1 of them :oops: ,the rest are steps,

what are the differances between steps and drops or is it just height??
  • Anonymous
    xterra wrote:
    what are the differances between steps and drops or is it just height??
    I think what he means is that a step is something you can roll down without launching both feet into the air.
    A drop, is something large enough for you you have to launch off it.

That's my definition anyway. You can't use it, it's patented and copyrighted. :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Red routes aren't that hard, black routes are just as easy but stay away until you're confident.
    Riding out in the wilds is more satisfying, and I've never ridden a trail centre so I KNOW it's better.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just to keep Yeehaa happy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    cooldad wrote:
    Red routes aren't that hard, black routes are just as easy but stay away until you're confident.
    Riding out in the wilds is more satisfying, and I've never ridden a trail centre so I KNOW it's better.
    :lol:
  • altern_8
    aint got a picture of the 2 big drops on the red route,but this is a drop similar to the 2,this is on the world cup course to give you a idea,or what i would call a drop,the ones on the red carry on taking you downhill tho not onto a fire road....and the steps are like yehaa says you can roll down them,like rolling off a high kerb,but 3-4 of them in a row.
    DSC00927.jpg
  • Anonymous
    ^^That's not a drop. That's just a slight slope.
  • altern_8
    it looks a lot higher when youre on the edge of it on youre bike looking down :wink:
  • xterra
    Thnx Altern8

Its looks plenty steep to me - but fun :-)
  • Anonymous
    doesn't matter how much higer it looks, it's still a slope. My commute to work even has a road hill about that steep.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    xterra wrote:
    Thnx Altern8

Its not steep.

First time I went round Dalby I just rode it all, if you fall off you fall off, however I didnt't and it was fairly easy and made it more fun than panicing about every other corner you go round.
  • altern_8 wrote:
    it looks a lot higher when youre on the edge of it on youre bike looking down :wink:

I agree, I walked this bit last time, only because i'm not used to it and it looks steep from the top. Stupid thing is that i've done far worse than this, probably because stopping would have been worse!
  • If you have ridden the blue at Whinlatter the red is fine, just longer and a bit more challenging.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • altern_8
    xterra wrote:
    Thnx Altern8

no worries mate,have fun
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    sandybean wrote:
    Llandegla can get pretty packed but is one of the best reds for a beginner. Nothing technical just loads of flowy stuff. Its not too long either. The black should be graded as red so i'd even go so far as to try a bit of that as its just as flowy. You can always bail back onto the firetrack. I've done most of the trails now and this one I find a great confidence builder. As an intermediate rider with not the best fitness i'd suggest you stay away from Gisburn until the summer. Its techy and gets really boggy in winter.

What he said/\/\

Degla is fanstastic for taking that step and the skills sections will show you what to expect before venturing out. The only advice Id give is if something looks too much. get off and walk it, or use the alternative way round
  • xterra
    So did my first red at Dalby!!

it was great fun, only came off once :-) right at the start where the blue and red separate, on the second step drop - although i think that was because i was going to slow and hadn't got full confidence by then - but was rolling happy after that... need to work on fitness now so i can get all the way around - got to dixons hollow and then cut back across to the green and cruised home with a big smile and enjoyed the hot chocolate and flap jack at the end

thanks everyone for the guidance..
  • altern_8
    glad you enjoyed it mate :D
  • xterra wrote:
    So did my first red at Dalby!!

it was great fun, only came off once :-) right at the start where the blue and red separate, on the second step drop - although i think that was because i was going to slow and hadn't got full confidence by then - but was rolling happy after that... need to work on fitness now so i can get all the way around - got to dixons hollow and then cut back across to the green and cruised home with a big smile and enjoyed the hot chocolate and flap jack at the end

thanks everyone for the guidance..

Excelent stuff fella (or lady!)
  • What he said/\/\

What she said :D