Comfy saddle!!!

jphil
jphil Posts: 74
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi all,
Hope you can help me with this one, any suggestions re: new saddle for my new bike I would be grateful, apart from Brooks B17, the type of riding I intend to do will be long day rides / Audax type of rides, have been looking at Fizik Arione saddle seems to get good reviews straight out of the box! Thanks in advance! :D
J Phillips

Comments

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have an Aliante which I have used for rides this summer up to approx 100 miles without any discomfort - I did find it to be a bit of a pig to get set up just right though!

The Aliante replaced a Specialized Toupe which I have used for the last three years, again with no discomfort issues until this summer on a 6 day cycle - turned out that one of the plastic support arms had snapped, possibly in transit. I just fancied a change but I'd be happy to recommend the toupe and would definitely try the new Spec Romin. The Toupe was only comfortable with a decent pair of padded shorts on - definitely not one to pop down to the shops wearing jeans!!

Saddle choice is peculiar to the shape of each individual's backside and any suggestions here should only be taken as general comments - you'll need to try yourself to confirm if any suit you. Your local bike shop if worth their salt will be happy to lend you a saddle to trial - well worth it even if you don't get the best ££ deal first time round.

Peter
  • jphil
    Yeh it seems to be a trial and error situation possibly if a bike shop will let me try a few saddles,as long as I walk out of the shop having spent some money on the one that fits best this might be the way to go! Thanks for your contribution, any more options?
    J Phillips
  • the spesh Romin looks good, saw it in the flesh today

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... e-10-39342
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    What about a Brooks Swift Titanium? More contemporary looking than the B17 but still as comfy and a lot lighter with the titanium rails

http://www.brooksengland.com/en/Shop_Pr ... t+Titanium
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,689
    the spesh Romin looks good, saw it in the flesh today

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... e-10-39342
    I've decided to give this a go, as I'm not sure that the Fizik Arione that came with my SuperSix quite suits me: a few shorter rides and couple of medium rides (55 mile & 71 mile), and I've been aware of pressure on central sensitive areas in the latter parts of the rides. Given the good reviews, this looks like it might do the trick, and isn't ridiculously expensive.
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    Fizik have a test drive programme, any good stockist should be running it. Saddles are very much trial and error. I have a couple sitting in the garage that I thought were OK after a quick test but couldn't get on with them in the long term. The two saddles that I run now are the Fizik Arione and the Fizik Pave, whilst I am happy with both of them I wouldn't describe any saddle I've ridden as comfortable but some are more comfortable than others.
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    northpole wrote:
    I have an Aliante which I have used for rides this summer up to approx 100 miles without any discomfort - I did find it to be a bit of a pig to get set up just right though!

The Aliante replaced a Specialized Toupe which I have used for the last three years, again with no discomfort issues until this summer on a 6 day cycle - turned out that one of the plastic support arms had snapped, possibly in transit. I just fancied a change but I'd be happy to recommend the toupe and would definitely try the new Spec Romin. The Toupe was only comfortable with a decent pair of padded shorts on - definitely not one to pop down to the shops wearing jeans!!

Saddle choice is peculiar to the shape of each individual's backside and any suggestions here should only be taken as general comments - you'll need to try yourself to confirm if any suit you. Your local bike shop if worth their salt will be happy to lend you a saddle to trial - well worth it even if you don't get the best ££ deal first time round.

Peter

Peter

I am a recent convert to the Aliante from a Toupe and an Arione, can you elaborate on the set up of the Aliante? Is it set level or tipping down etc.? Any advice is appreciated.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    edited October 2010
    It's farcical asking for recommendations because saddle choice is such a personal thing. How on earth can someone think a certain saddle is going to be comfortable because someone else has said that saddle is comfortable for them.

Everyone's ar$e is different so trial and error is the only way to go.
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    San Marco Rolls Titanium, end of....

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Brooks Team Pro? Got one on my tourer, did 60 miles and felt exactly the same after the ride, as I did before the ride.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • jphil
    Thanks folks,
    for all your suggestions today I decided to go into London and get the saddle sorted, in the end I bought 2 a Charge spoon + Fizik Arione kium. Just put the Arione on my new Enigma Etape Ti bike just been for a short spin, lovely and comfy just what the backside needed! Thanks to you all another forum member satisfied! :D
    J Phillips