Chain-rings worn out - new BB + chainset best answer?

bumpitybump
bumpitybump Posts: 76
edited October 2010 in The workshop
The chain-rings on my approx 5 year old winter commuter hack are worn out. At first glance I expected to be able to easily replace just the chain-rings as these are fairly standard sizing at 44/32/22 on a 4 bolt fitting. However although the BCD of middle and outer ring is 122mm, BCD of inner ring is 74 and I can't find an inner ring that that fits and looking at cost if you buy all rings separately the cost mounts up quickly.

So then I thought - replace the the cranks and chain-rings BUT on a square taper sealed bottom bracket I don't seem to have a lot of choice for that.

So - what do people think about replacing the bottom bracket AND cranks AND chain-rings and buying something a bit more modern which should hopefully be easier to replace chain-rings on in future?

Bottom bracket is 114/68 so I have a lot of choice with that but if I do change bottom bracket should I go Octalink or ISIS or whatever for easy replacement of worn parts in future?
exercise.png
FCN = 8

Comments

• ...After another 2 hours of reading about cranks and the Shimano Alivio square taper crank seems to be the easy solution to this as I won't need to change the bb. Think I'll give it a go as cheap and probably the simplest solution.
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I swapped my old CR for the same Alivio unit; only niggle I had with it was the inner ring had about 4 teeth less than the original.
  • gbsahne wrote:
    I swapped my old CR for the same Alivio unit; only niggle I had with it was the inner ring had about 4 teeth less than the original.

Pleased to hear from someone else who came across the Alivio - seems from what I've found today there is very little choice out there if you're on an 'old' system.
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure what you've found the Alivio for, but £27 looks good! http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/56 ... taper.html

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    i think i paid less than £20 for it @ parker int; on sale for £24.50 now: woolyhatshop was also cheap from what i recall.
  • Thanks for the links to the good deals on the Alivio.

Have got one now and reading the box ( should have probably read the specification first :oops: ) it says for 7/8 gears.....all the other bits on the bike are 9 speed, anyone know if the alivio chainset will work happily with a 9 speed cassette, shifter and chain?
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8