Bens Specialized Hardrock 2011 - UPDATED

Ben - B
Ben - B Posts: 66
edited November 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Well this is my first "proper" bike in years but I'm so pleased with it, had it a few weeks and I love it! So comfy and light and such an ease to ride..

Only real things I can say are the peddles are worse than useless so a set of DMR V8s in White are on order along with a set of nobbly nics a crud catcher and a lizard skin are on order..

Other than that I'm going to upgrade as things braeak and generally enjoy it while I save to build up a full sus frame

Anyway pics

e81813d4.jpg[/img]

Comments

• Thier a very good beginner bike, and the black and white frames look peng!
  • Ben - B
    Thier a very good beginner bike, and the black and white frames look peng!

Cheers mate, yea looks much better than the brick orange and black colour scheme they come in
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    The Hardrocks are great bikes and was my first proper mtb...... i miss the old girl :(

Hope you enjoy it :)
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Ben - B
    andy46 wrote:
    The Hardrocks are great bikes and was my first proper mtb...... i miss the old girl :(

Hope you enjoy it :)

Loving it so far! Cheers man :)
  • Dan Dare
    Dan Dare Posts: 367
    A good choice there, my Hardrock has brought me countless hours of fun! Looks great in black and white too 8) Funnily enough the pedals were the first thing I changed too :lol:
  • wombar
    wombar Posts: 119
    That's a nice looking bike :) I've had two Hardrocks and they've both served me well. Have just picked up a Boardman Pro HT, but I've got a bit of a soft spot for the Specialized.

My one piece of advice would be to upgrade that lock to a decent D lock if you're leaving it for extended periods. Those cable locks are like swiss cheese to decent cutters.

Enjoy riding that bike, it's a goodun :)
  • Ben - B
    Dan Dare wrote:
    A good choice there, my Hardrock has brought me countless hours of fun! Looks great in black and white too 8) Funnily enough the pedals were the first thing I changed too :lol:

Haha, yea the plastic ones really are poor, quite glad you posted actualy was just wondering where you got your extended pins for the DMRs you had? Cheers mate :)
    wombar wrote:
    That's a nice looking bike :) I've had two Hardrocks and they've both served me well. Have just picked up a Boardman Pro HT, but I've got a bit of a soft spot for the Specialized.

My one piece of advice would be to upgrade that lock to a decent D lock if you're leaving it for extended periods. Those cable locks are like swiss cheese to decent cutters.

Enjoy riding that bike, it's a goodun :)

Thanks mate, yea that lock was for the old BMX I had for messing about on :)
  • Dan Dare
    Dan Dare Posts: 367
    They're called 'Terror pins' I had to get my local bike shop to order me some in from DMR, only took a couple of days to arrive. I'll warn you though, they do make a proper mess of your shins if you slip off the pedal!
  • Dan Dare wrote:
    They're called 'Terror pins' I had to get my local bike shop to order me some in from DMR, only took a couple of days to arrive. I'll warn you though, they do make a proper mess of your shins if you slip off the pedal!

That they do, I slipped off mine, and smashed straight to my shin, lots of blood and pain!!
  • Ben - B
    Dan Dare wrote:

That they do, I slipped off mine, and smashed straight to my shin, lots of blood and pain!!

I may just keep to the standard DMR Pins then, I can cause myself enough injury without the assistance of inch long metal spikes, cheers guys! :D
  • good decision. the standard pins ive always found to be grippy enough, and stiull rip your shin up when u come off the pedals, so unless your feeling cocky id stick with the standard ones

great looking bike too :)
  • Bunkka
    Bunkka Posts: 8
    Got a real soft spot for Spesh MTBs since I rocked up on my first Rockhopper back in '90. New models look sweet so loving your Hardrock bud!
    Lance was wrong...it's all about the bike
  • Ben - B
    good decision. the standard pins ive always found to be grippy enough, and stiull rip your shin up when u come off the pedals, so unless your feeling cocky id stick with the standard ones

great looking bike too :)
    Bunkka wrote:
    Got a real soft spot for Spesh MTBs since I rocked up on my first Rockhopper back in '90. New models look sweet so loving your Hardrock bud!

Cheers for the replies guys! Should hopefully have a update tomorrow :)
  • Ben - B
    UPDATE TIME!

Well promised a update and although it's not everything I wanted I'm still pleased. Today was payday and I hadn't even rode my bike in a few days so decided to treat her.. But first she needed a clean

Before:

d513c89d.jpg

Errrr, this is why I need a lizard skin, gave this gunk a good scrub and got the majority of it off but I may need a proper cleaning agent :(

4bbd3894.jpg

Half of the Nottingham country side still clinging to the downtube

4b481d23.jpg

Only just noticed my steel toe caps In this picture 8)

a2590616.jpg
  • Ben - B
    SECOND HALF OF THE UPDATE

sorry I'm on my iPhone

Anyway I decided after a quick clean to take a ride down to my local bikeshop via long eaton canals so I could take a arty picture ;)

b0cafb91.jpg

Not too good at showing how clean it is but it looked lovely!

Anyway my latest purchases, a cheap lizard skin and some proper pedals cost me just under 30 quid :) Bargain!

Anyway came the same way home so more arty pics!!

4d1cd512.jpg

For a fiver I really can't complain!

ab470381.jpg

The observant among you may spot these aren't DMR's they're diamondback, but they're are still very light and better than the plastic crap I had previously

d3d0f76c.jpg

4d1cd512.jpg

That's all for the minute, next will be my crudcatcher :D
  • Ben - B
    Well quick update, I've already put a nice big puncture in my front inner tube after a good night of riding with my mates :lol: so a nice 45 minute walk home followed :P I can also confirm the pedals are lethal after my leg slipped on a landing leaving a nice 2 inch graze :lol:
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    loving the bike dude, ive got a 2010 Hardrock Disc and love it :) Although the 2011 spec is looking much nicer! Like you the first thing i changed was the pedals, got some decent flats, but now ive switched to SPDs. Apart from that all else ive changed is the handlebars (the originals weighed a ton and also i wanted some flat bars instead of risers), decent avid brake leavers, and some Rockshox Tora 302 forks :) Some Avid Juicy 3s are next on the shopping list!
  • 2010 spec personally is far better than the 2011.

I have the 2010 and i'm fairly happy with it but no matter what we always change things lol.

Its the law haha.
  • Grizzle wrote:
    2010 spec personally is far better than the 2011.

I have the 2010 and i'm fairly happy with it but no matter what we always change things lol.

Its the law haha.

Not being funny mate, but the hardrock sport disc 2011 ( like mine ) is a FAR better than the 2010 :lol:
  • Ben - B wrote:
    Well quick update, I've already put a nice big puncture in my front inner tube after a good night of riding with my mates :lol: so a nice 45 minute walk home followed :P I can also confirm the pedals are lethal after my leg slipped on a landing leaving a nice 2 inch graze :lol:
    A good addition is a saddlebag for when you go out but don't want to take a rucksak.

Something like the topeak Aero Wedge in medium is perfect. I can fit in a spare tube, multitool, puncture repair kir, minipump and a snack. With a bit of space to spare so you could fit another tube in if you wanted. And then when I got out for longer rides I just lob the whole saddlebag in my rucksack. So its always with you.
  • your not based in nottingham are you, because that canal looks very similar...
  • Ben - B wrote:
    A good addition is a saddlebag for when you go out but don't want to take a rucksak.

Something like the topeak Aero Wedge in medium is perfect. I can fit in a spare tube, multitool, puncture repair kir, minipump and a snack. With a bit of space to spare so you could fit another tube in if you wanted. And then when I got out for longer rides I just lob the whole saddlebag in my rucksack. So its always with you.

To be fair mate it's crossed my mind, however when I got the puncture it was a large boulder that gashed through the side wall :( but thanks for the tip :)
  • your not based in nottingham are you, because that canal looks very similar...

Yes matey I am, that's long eaton canal :)
  • Ben - B wrote:
    your not based in nottingham are you, because that canal looks very similar...

Ha! thought I recognised it
  • Ben - B wrote:
    your not based in nottingham are you, because that canal looks very similar...

Ha! thought I recognised it

why mate where abouts in nottingham you from?
  • Im in stapleford, and also own a specialized ;)
  • Im in stapleford, and also own a specialized ;)

Ahhh, right! I'm in sandiacre, so do you do much riding then or is yours just a commuter?
  • Ben - B wrote:
    Grizzle wrote:

Its the law haha.

Not being funny mate, but the hardrock sport disc 2011 ( like mine ) is a FAR better than the 2010 :lol:
    no no no!!! your wrong :lol::lol:
  • Grizzle wrote:
    Ben - B wrote:
    Grizzle wrote:

Its the law haha.

no no no!!! your wrong :lol::lol:

Ok.
  • Ben - B wrote:
    Im in stapleford, and also own a specialized ;)

Ahhh, right! I'm in sandiacre, so do you do much riding then or is yours just a commuter?

I like to go off road, but I play sports so I go offroad when im not training otherwise use it for commuting to work..