road side repairs...

lef
lef Posts: 728
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
When changing an inner tube is it safe to carefully sit the rear end of the bike down so its resting on the derailleur when leaning against a tree / wall etc?

The bike is light so not a lot of weight on it.

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I wouldn't, but I'm a bit OCD with this kind of thing.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I definitely wouldn't. For a start, I figure it would be easy to screw the alignment of the rear mech, etc. (I just had to buy a new one after a mechanical, but that's another story). I would also be very wary about resting the chain/mech in the dirt and crud. I can see lots of grit and crud getting picked up by an oily chain, with a potential of wrecking the cassette, etc.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    What's wrong with flipping the bike upside down?
  • I believe I have a solution

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoon ... yn904l.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011 - SRAM Apex
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2008 - Shimano XT
    Mtbs for 12 years - now a newbie to the road - be gentle with me
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    It absolutely is NOT ok to rest the bike on the derailleur.

Upend it.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Upside-down damages saddles, computers, bar tape and it may still fall over. Put the bike on its side (and remove/refit wheels with the bike the right way up).
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Remove the wheel with the bike upright. Place the bike down drive side upwards whilst you change the inner. Insert the wheel, holding the bike upright.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    balthazar wrote:
    Upside-down damages saddles, computers, bar tape and it may still fall over. Put the bike on its side (and remove/refit wheels with the bike the right way up).
    Take the computer off.

The only "damage" saddles and bar tape will suffer can be wiped off with your glove.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    balthazar wrote:
    Take the computer off.

The only "damage" saddles and bar tape will suffer can be wiped off with your glove.

Exactly! And if you want to make things even more stable - Take the relevant allen key with you and rotate the bars upward slightly. It'll then be the hoods in direct contact with the ground and computers/lights etc will not get damaged. It'll add about a minute to the total repair time.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Why wreck your saddle, lever hoods and bar tape when you can usually find a convenient fence, tree of ride-buddy to hold your bike for you? Otherwise, there's plenty of ways to lay-down a bike without resting it on the rear mech or needing to up-end it.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • balthazar wrote:

+1

Why would I want to risk scuffing an expensive saddle and hoods?
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I always rest the bike on the mech when dropping the rear wheel out - right or wrong, it's never been a problem...
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    balthazar wrote:

+100

Lay the bike on its side, if your worried about scratching your pedals or levers then take up knitting
    I like white bikes
  • 1_reaper
    1_reaper Posts: 322
    Can't see the problem with the saddle and bars on the grass verge(if there is one) just going to get wet at worse and will dry and or wiped off. Job done
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    ...okay i better stick to the knitting! So clearly two schools of thought on this one. I'm somewhat ocd about scratches, at least about the exoensive stuff. If its my commuter then yeah I'll chuck it wherever but my good bikes get looked after.

So has anyone actually damaged the mech or mech hanger from doing this?
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    softlad wrote:
    I always rest the bike on the mech when dropping the rear wheel out - right or wrong, it's never been a problem...

Same here, wont be a problem. Bit of grit on the chain isnt going to ruin your cassette, bikes are made of metal not cheese.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Or you could carry a repair stand on your back?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Just find a nice patch of grass and place it down drive side up. Wouldn't rest it on the rear mech, and wouldn't want to scuff the saddle/bars by upending, but thats just me.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • this is basically quite easy I carry a plastic bag in my saddle bag with 3 rubber bands,
    gloves of place one on each hood with an elastic band cover the saddle with the plastic bag and wrap a rubber band around the saddle ,then turn the bike upside down.

jackthelad
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    jackthelad wrote:
    this is basically quite easy I carry a plastic bag in my saddle bag with 3 rubber bands,
    gloves of place one on each hood with an elastic band cover the saddle with the plastic bag and wrap a rubber band around the saddle ,then turn the bike upside down.

jackthelad

:shock:
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    jackthelad wrote:
    this is basically quite easy I carry a plastic bag in my saddle bag with 3 rubber bands,

jackthelad

Looks like knitting for you then!!, please tell me you are winding us up, its a bike not a priceless antique.
  • bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    I usually rest my bike upside down on a patch of grass - if you are worried about the speedo then you can stick your gloves underneath it to avoid any scratches.. I then put on a pair of latex / surgical gloves ( a mate at work gets them off his hairdresser chum :) , not me honestly :oops: ), to actually change the tube etc , they are easy to carry & stop your hands getting covered in crap...
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333
    I always carry a sky hook.
  • bilirubin wrote:
    jackthelad wrote:

jackthelad

Looks like knitting for you then!!, please tell me you are winding us up, its a bike not a priceless antique.

why create damage when it can so easily be avoided,what weight is their in a small plastic bag and a couple of rubber bands
  • feltkuota wrote:

+1 - essential equipment
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Why not buy better tyres so your bike doesn't suffer punctures? Problem solved.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    feltkuota wrote:

I always levitate my bike off the ground using the force....