What makes a family bike shop?

simonf1
simonf1 Posts: 3
edited November 2010 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi everyone, I'm new here and haven't posted before. Some friends and myself were talking to other night about what we expected from "the local bike shop"
After the usual "a free bike!" and "75% discount" comments the conversation turned and suddenly got taken seriously.

We came up with:
Friendly/ approachable,
Price conscious (but not necessarily the cheapest)
Good workshop with knowlegable staff

Then we got onto
0% finance, or credit of some sort, is it necessary?
collect and delivery service, chargable?

Any thoughts people?

Comments

• Someone with both bike and business experience.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I tend to go to my LBS when something breaks or I need a part in a hurry. So good stock of consumables, things that are likely to break and tools to fit them is essential.

One of my LBS runs a monthly blog and it keeps my attention. Advice on road and off road routes for tourists and newbies is a good one too.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    I think ones that aren't focused on the sell, and are focused on what's best for you.

So... you can take in an old (kid's, or otherwise) bike and they'll look at it seriously and let you know what's involved to get it running again. Then you can decide whether it's worth the $, or to buy something new.

Then, if there is a sale involved, they will actually listen to you, and advise what is best. It's a fine line - some people just won't listen and will invariably end up buying something that doesn't suit them and will sit in the shed. Others... the salesperson will talk them around to something they don't really need.

So yeah - shop around.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    A bike shop where the staff don't turn their nose up because you aren't buying the most expensive bike.
    Staff who listen to what you actually want and what you want it for and sell you that bike not the bikes they are trying to shift.
    Just had experience of this and walked out of the shop, shame for them they lost the sale and we still bought a bike just else where.
  • NOT the edinburgh bike coop!!!!
  • Zero percent finance and/or credit seems a bit much to ask of a small, local business. I find few bike shops offer genuine selection. They consider a variety of sizes to make me feel as though I have sufficient options from which to choose. Their bike selection should reflect business sense and technical savvy.