Rochdale - benefits capital of England, and..........

2»

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I don't know how it works exactly in terms of paying to get connected to digital but is it possible that having a dish is actually a sign you haven't signed up to a pay package that they'd supply through cable - especially as Rochdale does have cable by the looks of it ? In other words the dishes are a sign of lack of cash not people with plenty to spend on pay TV ?
    Not quite Tom, the standard digital channels, including freeview,are available through a standard ariel, so the only think you need is either a decoder, or, as in a lot of cases, the freeview decoder which is already in the tv.

Satellite TV and Cable TV both have associated costs, subscriptions etc, so having a dish on your house isn't a sign of a lack of cash. Even if you just want to watch the free satellite channels, you still need a satellite decoder or similar and a dish.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I wasn't being judge / jury; I just said I didn't realise it was classed as a disability. I thought it was a condition that could be managed using medication.
    I'm sure if someone suffers frequent / lengthy narcoleptic events it would make everyday things difficult if not extremely dangerous, and they should be entitled to Disability Living Allowance.

Apologies if I have offended anyone.

I still think that reporters, especially those of a Daily Mail persuasion, probably try to find people who look / sound as if they are perfectly capable of working yet live comfortable lives on benefits. I'm sure that for the vast majority of the long term unemployed things are very different.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    MattC59 wrote:
    I don't know how it works exactly in terms of paying to get connected to digital but is it possible that having a dish is actually a sign you haven't signed up to a pay package that they'd supply through cable - especially as Rochdale does have cable by the looks of it ? In other words the dishes are a sign of lack of cash not people with plenty to spend on pay TV ?
    Not quite Tom, the standard digital channels, including freeview,are available through a standard ariel, so the only think you need is either a decoder, or, as in a lot of cases, the freeview decoder which is already in the tv.

Satellite TV and Cable TV both have associated costs, subscriptions etc, so having a dish on your house isn't a sign of a lack of cash. Even if you just want to watch the free satellite channels, you still need a satellite decoder or similar and a dish.

Ah well, I just leave it up to the missus to sort out - it probably shows!

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    MattC59 wrote:

Ah well, I just leave it up to the missus to sort out - it probably shows!
    :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    How did you know.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.