Food consumption

Skiziridis
Skiziridis Posts: 15
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
Right Guys, I had my first road cycling group ride, on Wednesday . We did around 55 mph in about 3 to 3.30 hours . I had about 4 energy (eat natural) bars during the ride and energy drink and normal amount of food on the same day. The following day though my body wanted a lot of food all day long , I had like 5 sandwiches plus , milk eggs ,muffin etc. Is this happen to everyone as well ?

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Skiziridis wrote:
    Right Guys, I had my first road cycling group ride, on Wednesday . We did around 55 mph in about 3 to 3.30 hours . I had about 4 energy (eat natural) bars during the ride and energy drink and normal amount of food on the same day. The following day though my body wanted a lot of food all day long , I had like 5 sandwiches plus , milk eggs ,muffin etc. Is this happen to everyone as well ?

I often find that the day of a long ride, once I'm back home I get hungry and end up snacking on things through the rest of the day, despite having had energy drink and bananas etc with me on the ride. I just go with it, I try to make sure I eat healthily though - bowls of cereal and yoghurt, wholemeal toast, fruit etc rather than salty/sugary packet snacks. I usualy find that the next day my eating is back to normal though.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Skiziridis wrote:
    55mph for 3.30 hrs.......... that's pretty impressive :wink:

I'm the same, although the amount you mentioned doesn't seem abnormal, I eat those sorts of volumes full stop.

I was out on my bike Wednesday night, and on thursday, I ate the following (excuse the quality, I in the car, or was manning an exhibition stand, so didn't have a great deal of choice)

7am: At home: Banana
    8am: En route to Birmingham: Macdonalds Double Sausage & Egg McMuffin
    12:30pm: At Exhibition: Lasagne and salad
    3pm: At Exhibition: Two giant scones with fresh cream and jam :D
    4:30pm: On leaving exhibition: Macdonalds double cheese burger
    6:30pm: Almost home: Macdonalds double cheesburger
    8pm: Home: Spag Bol & salad.

There was also a significant quantity of cookies in between 'meals'.

The number of Mackers isn't indicative of my usual diet, it was just quick and easy whilst in a rush and trying to miss rush hour !

oh, I'm 12st 3lbs :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Sounds a bit too much to me.

For 50 miles I might have one carb bar and unless it is a club run that would be it, I do make sure that I drink a couple of bottles of carb drink and then eat normally when I return home.

Sounds like your eating a little too much on the ride, typically if you worked on 1g of carbs per Kg of body weight per hour then you are not going to be far out. I probably don't eat quite enough on quick 50-60 mile rides but on a 100+ mile ride I am quite disciplined with drink and food.

HTH

NB. I thought I'd better add, that I always have a large bowl of porridge every morning, this sets me up for the day.

Mid Morning I might have a couple of Rich Tea or a slice of toast.

If preparing for long rides then I ensure that the food I eat 3 days prior are quality carbs like wholemeal pasta etc.

Normal lunch consists of a bowl of Soup with 1 slice of wholemeal bread or a 2 Slice Sandwich of wholemeal bread, evening meal would be a light vegetarian meal with boiled spuds, vegetables and some veggie meat alternative for protein.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    MattC59 wrote:
    Skiziridis wrote:

Regardless of your weight, sticking that amount of shite in your body ain't a great idea.

@op, you might find it benificial to eat something that will release energy slowly, something like porridge, brown pasta or brown rice.
  • Headhuunter
    MattC59 wrote:
    Skiziridis wrote:

I'm the same, although the amount you mentioned doesn't seem abnormal, I eat those sorts of volumes full stop.

I was out on my bike Wednesday night, and on thursday, I ate the following (excuse the quality, I in the car, or was manning an exhibition stand, so didn't have a great deal of choice)

The number of Mackers isn't indicative of my usual diet, it was just quick and easy whilst in a rush and trying to miss rush hour !

Jeeeeez. Are you 12st 3lbs but 4 foot tall? That's an enourmous amount of fatty crap! No wonder you find 55 miles in 3-3:30 a good time if you're always stopping at Maccy Ds! I think that's a pretty normal time for that distance on a club run, don't forget that club runs don't usually stop for more than a few mins to drink a bit of water and gobble a banana before heading off again and you have the benefit of 10 or so riders with each one taking some time at the front.
  • Headhuunter
    MattC59 wrote:
    Skiziridis wrote:

Sorry, misread, you ate this the day after the ride not during/the day of the ride.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Ohhh, that WAS the op!!! :lol:

Considering that, if that is in any way indicative of your diet, then its no wonder your body is craving food!!!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 wrote:
    Skiziridis wrote:

Jeeeeez. Are you 12st 3lbs but 4 foot tall? That's an enourmous amount of fatty crap! No wonder you find 55 miles in 3-3:30 a good time if you're always stopping at Maccy Ds! I think that's a pretty normal time for that distance on a club run, don't forget that club runs don't usually stop for more than a few mins to drink a bit of water and gobble a banana before heading off again and you have the benefit of 10 or so riders with each one taking some time at the front.
    1) Read my post again. You'll notice that the OP said 55mph I was commenting on that, light heartedly, hence the winking face.
    2) Read my post again. You'll notice that I stated "The number of Mackers isn't indicative of my usual diet"

I'm 6'2".

Learn to read and wind your neck in before posting.

edit: ignore the last comment, you hadn't added your last post when I started to type this :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    People all eat differently.

I know I have to start eating pretty quickly and very often compared to other guys on club rides, and I rock in at a massive 53kg for 171cm.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    MattC59 wrote:

Trouble is with this lot is that pretty much all of it is junk, lacking the right balance of carbs, proteins & vitamins. I'm no health food junky but if you don't have a decent base diet and a good solid meal each day you're putting yourself at a disadvantage in so many ways, in terms of sport and your general well-being.

Noted tho the comment that this isn't your normal diet. Still a day full of crap though.
  • Well , seems everyone has own minds , but I think each body reacts differently. I am 178cm and 78 kg . I normally care what I eat , whole pasta , high fibre foods , lots of fruits etc. As this was my first group ride , I need to see the couple of next ones to compare what is going on I think. but even the 4 bars during the ride , it was not too much for me as I was still hungry at the end. I cant say that was a long ride , but I m not used to that sort of distances, I used to do 50 km max about 30mph i think , when i was back home , with a MTB and now the road bike thing its just a totally different theme...but really enjoyable!!
  • MattC59
    CiB wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

Trouble is with this lot is that pretty much all of it is junk, lacking the right balance of carbs, proteins & vitamins. I'm no health food junky but if you don't have a decent base diet and a good solid meal each day you're putting yourself at a disadvantage in so many ways, in terms of sport and your general well-being.

Noted tho the comment that this isn't your normal diet. Still a day full of crap though.
    Other than the friut, salad and home made meal.
    Thanks for your input, next time I have a long day out on the road, I'll be sure to inform all of the potential food stops en route, that I require a healthy balanced meal prepared for me, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to call in for it. If any can't do that, I'll factor in a few extra hours to find somewhere that can. :roll:

Having said that, I congratulate you on stating the bleeding obvious.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That's some impressive eating there! 3 visits to McDonalds and two pasta based meals in the space of 12 hours! Fries and a fizzy drink with any of that?

You must have the metabolic rate of a gerbil.

Since the kids became self-sufficient I only venture into McDonalds once or twice a year, but really enjoy it cos I'm usually starving and there's no alternative.

When I'm travelling for work I use the opportunity to get the company to buy me interesting sandwiches, nuts, dried fruit, smoothies etc from the M&S and Waitrose stores that are springing up in all the services and garages.
  • MattC59
    keef66 wrote:
    That's some impressive eating there! 3 visits to McDonalds and two pasta based meals in the space of 12 hours! Fries and a fizzy drink with any of that?

You must have the metabolic rate of a gerbil.

Since the kids became self-sufficient I only venture into McDonalds once or twice a year, but really enjoy it cos I'm usually starving and there's no alternative.

When I'm travelling for work I use the opportunity to get the company to buy me interesting sandwiches, nuts, dried fruit, smoothies etc from the M&S and Waitrose stores that are springing up in all the services and garages.

Nope, no fries, or fizzy drinks, they're bad for you :wink:

I eat a lot anyway, I've never really grown out of my four hourly feeds !! My blood sugar levels drop off very quickly so I have to keep topped up. The Doc calculated my BMR as 3100, so I need that amount of calories per day to stay at the weight I'm at, that excludes anything I need for exercise.

You're spot on, I was starving, in a hurry and there was no alternative, hence the convenience of a drive through Mackers.
  • Everybodys needs food and drink wise are different on a ride, last week i did 52 miles in 3h 02 and had no breakfast just a cuppa and took one 500ml bottle of sports drink, and felt ok when i got back,if i,d have eaten 4 cereal bars like the OP i would likely have felt a bit sick, but like i said some people need a lot and some peoplle need little food on a ride.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Skiziridis wrote:
    I used to do 50 km max about 30mph i think, when i was back home , with a MTB
    You cycled for a distance of 50km (30 miles) at 30mph? On an MTB?

Unless you're the world's greatest unsigned amateur, you might want to go over your figures again ;)

If you're not trying to lose weight, eat what you want. If you're on a racing diet, well, you don't need us to tell you how to stick to it.