Disc Brake pad SOS

ad213812
ad213812 Posts: 59
edited October 2010 in The workshop
Is it normal for a disc brake pad to fall out??

Got a flat, was changing the inner-tube and noticed my brake pad on the floor. As you may be able to tell by the question, I am a cycling newbie so can I just pop it back in there or is something awry?? :?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Usually they are held in my a small magnet or some other mechanism, but as long as it doesn't fall out while riding I doubt it's an issue! Pop it in and go!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I did pop it in and go, unfortunately my newbie brain couldn't see that I had popped it in the wrong way!!! :roll: oooohhhhh my boyfriend didn't half shout at me when he got home :shock:
  • The Rookie
    Oops......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    they shouldn't just fall out....

what brakes are they?

most have as said either a magnet, clip or spring to allow the pads to retreat with pistons when the brake is released, however every one I have seen also had a retaining pin...which goes from one side of the caliper, through a hole in the pads, then out the other, usually, threaded into the caliper, and with a little retaining clip as well....

Sounds like this part is missing...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • The Rookie
    I have some quad calipers with a tiny magnet, its fine with the disc in, but if I jolt the bike with the wheel out a pad will sometimes pop out (only if worn, full depth there is not enough clearance)

Simon
  • I have some quad calipers with a tiny magnet, its fine with the disc in, but if I jolt the bike with the wheel out a pad will sometimes pop ou

I think this is what happened. :oops: I will have to learn not to be such a lump in the future