Headset advice

Dazza Doom
Dazza Doom Posts: 50
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone,

could anyone help me to identify what type of headset i have please. Its off a Kona Cindercone 2009, the spec just says 'TH'. Its got FSA markings but what type is it, and how do i adjust it?
(See pics below)

The reason i need to know is i want to see if theres any play in it;

When i hold my front brake and move the bike back and forth i got a slight knocking. Im not sure if this is from the pads in my calipers though? I cant visably see any movement at all but would like to rule it out before any damage occurs.

can anyone advice me on what other checks i can make?

Thanks for any advice! :D

2010-10-20001.jpg

2010-10-20002.jpg

2010-10-20003.jpg

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is a standard cup, 1 and 1/8th inch threadless headset.

Park Tools website has a guide on how to adjust threadless headsets. Pretty straightforward!
  • Supersonic, many thanks, your a star!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Looks from the pic that you have a gap between the bottom spacer and the top of the headset. Not good.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    actually it looks like it has been reassembled incorrectly.

what did you do before the play came?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hmmm, you have me worried now...

Nothing has been touched in this are since i bought it, so if its been assembled wrong then its been like that all along.... which part do you think is wrong?

I have been out tonight and re checked for play and im pretty sure its coming from the pads, but what your saying now has me concerned!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if it is as supplied then dont worry.

it is just that on many headsets the cover (with the letters) is above the centring wedge.

but also it is not always.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown