Pellizotti cleared

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2010 in Pro race
UCI's worst nightmare comes to life.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    It was only a matter of time before a rider challenged the bio passport system. My expert vs your expert.

Wonder if the whole system is now dead in the water or whether the fringe benefits (target testing of riders with whacky blood values) outweigh the considerable cost. :?
  • iainf72
    I'm sure it will go to CAS and WADA should set up and support the UCI.
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    bye bye bio passort ... that went well then

sigh

:roll:
  • iainf72
    Franco is also planning to ask the UCI for damages.
  • iainf72 wrote:

Is there any point? "The UCI is not a wealthy organisation"
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167

sigh

Wanna bet?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Snorebens
    Snorebens Posts: 759
    iainf72 wrote:

Is there any point? "The UCI is not a wealthy organisation"

maybe payment in kind? What about Lance's donated Sysmex machine? That way Franco could make sure he doesn't stray close to the edge again.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    The dolphin is free to swim (climb)...
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    It's Go Go Gadget time again!!
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    Will the UCI pay me as I had a small fortune on him winning the GIro.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Can it get any worse?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    DaveyL wrote:

sigh

Wanna bet?

I agree with you there. It's only one rider's case judged by one court. And the decision was based on the individual data, not the legality of the passport.

It will almost certainly go to the CAS eventually. A lot of British law goes through various courts, sometimes with different judgements, before ending up with the Lords.

It's a blow for the UCI/WADA, but not the death knell of the system.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Five riders were named in 2009 as having had blood irregularities and four have since been banned, including two Italians. The fifth retired from the sport. This year has seen Valjavec cleared followed by Pellizotti. The UCI is going to appeal the Valjavec case and may well do with the Pellizotti one. This suggests to me that either people are coming up with better excuses or the previous convictions means that people are actually paying more attention to their blood levels. Whether this means they are loads cleaner or getting a similar doping effect from micro-dosing and flying under the radar is open to question.

Is there any news on Rosendo, the other of the three noted as having failed the blood passport earlier this year?

One thing that comes to mind is that there were reports that 8 riders were judged to have failed the blood passport in the last year but that only three had been charged. The UCI claimed that they were awaiting further tests while those of a cynical mind-frame claimed that the 5 riders were being protected. Recent events give support to the UCI's position - if you suppose these three have the dodgiest results then getting a ban on the other five would appear to be very unlikely. However, we dont know if these are the most extreme or not.

Be nice to have some actual data.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    AP
    x610.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest