Which GPS with HRM ?

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited November 2010 in XC and Enduro
OK,

May bite the bullet to enhance my training and invest in a Garmin/whatever and HRM etc.

Up to now using search i've found quite a few use and like the Garmin 705. So that's winning.

One of the guys used a 310XT it seems also recently on event and worked well, well enough that it got all the data i need.

All i want really is location, distance, speed, HRM. Cadence would be nice but not essential.

What's your recommendation lads ?

Comments

• muddylegs
    muddylegs Posts: 485
    I can recommend the Forerunner 305 a bit bulky to wear on your wrist but there is a handlebar cradle available for it and i keep meaning to get it. It is a training aid with a lot of information on it not sure if you could download a route to it and follow it like a traditional satnav, i know you can with some of the bike specific ones.
    I use mine all the time it is easy to switch from bike mode to running mode and there is a cadence sensor you can get for your bike which is £40. Hope that helps.
  • weeksy59
    Thanks, bought one now :)
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    Shame, as the Garmin 800 comes out soon and that does all that and more. Depends on budget though as I have paid £400 for it.
  • weeksy59
    I only ended up buying the Garmin Forerunner 110.

Paid £150 on Amazon which was the cheapest location i could find.

the GPS side of things wasn't an essential part, but the after mapping facility etc is important. Cadence wasn't a factor either.

So i based my decision on ease of use, size of watch, also bar mount facility (should i choose it) so the 110 was the winner for me.
  • Bit late now but I got a Garmin Edge 500 recently with cadence and HRM and its absolutely fantastic. You can get the bundle for £180 too which isn't bad at all
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    weeksy59 wrote:

the GPS side of things wasn't an essential part, but the after mapping facility etc is important. Cadence wasn't a factor either.

So i based my decision on ease of use, size of watch, also bar mount facility (should i choose it) so the 110 was the winner for me.

I'm looking at a 110 (from amazon as well) as I want HR plus the ability to see where I have been once I get home purely to log distances.

How are you getting on with it?

Cheers
  • DHA987S wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:

I'm looking at a 110 (from amazon as well) as I want HR plus the ability to see where I have been once I get home purely to log distances.

Cheers

I used to use a 110 when I was doing a bit of running and found it a great piece of kit. When I stopped running I sold it to a mate :(
    I've just had a new one turn up today as from past experience I reckon it'll be great for cycling as well!
    They're available on Amazon at the moment for £142 and you can get a few ££ cashback through some of the cashback sites.
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    i've just bought the Garmin 800 for those very reasons - hrm, cadence, mapping, etc and I cant praise it enough. Its such a great tool. If you want to know more PM me.
  • weeksy59
    DHA987S wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:

Cheers

it is brillant,.. does exactly what it's supposed to :)
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    The bike specific Garmin's seem a bit pointless to me for anything other than road cycling since the map functionality is pretty much useless when off road; and you're likely to kill yourself if your steaming down some single track while trying to read the map.

The Forerunner range seems much more practical for XC cycling; despite being aimed at runners rather than cyclists.

I'm planning on getting one for myself at some point but back in the summer I borrowed one from a friend and it worked really well. It has all the stuff you really need on display and allows you to record and then transfer the routes to your computer so you can view them back or share them.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The Garmin DAkota will work with a HRM