Snot!

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
Does anyone else have twin streams of snot running out of their nose ALL the way round their ride? I don't have a cold, but I seem to be losing most of my body's water content out of my nose!

I almost bought a buff the other day. Thank god I didn't as it would look awful after 50 miles!

Tom

Comments

• Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Yep when it's cold, I just look behind and make sure no one behind and blow it out
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    Its posh name is Exercise-Induced Rhinitis.

Worth a Google?
  • Beconase nasal spray. Available from a GP on prescription or, I think, buyable over a pharmacy counter.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I used to have this problem, but seems to be cured by wearing clear lense cycling glasses.

Not meant to be a wind up, maybe I am just a bit odd! :D
  • rodgers73
    I already wear glasses to cycle in (normal specs, not cycling ones though).

I'm not too bothered by the snot, just wondered if it was "normal" or something to worry about. I've bought some new gloves with a massive snot-wiping pad on the back, so that should be fine.

:D
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Well that's that solved then, change to cycling glasses and all will be well! :)
  • just blow it out . then wipe on glove or shirt .
  • rodgers73
    just blow it out . then wipe on glove or shirt .

Yeah, have no problem dealing with the symptoms, happily snot-rocketing all day today, just wondered why it was happening.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    It only happens to me on a road bike, maybe it's cause it leans forwards more than your body likes.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    I believe its due to your eyes watering in the breeze , so wearing glasses does help.
    Personally i cant stand glasses, i prefer to put up with the snot.
    The one thing i will ask you all , is blow to the left , especially in a TT. The amount of times i`ve been covered in other peoples gunge , whilst competing is gross. :lol:
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Only get it over my face in a time trial. However turn your head left (unless you're 2x2 on the outside on a club run) and blow.

If you do find yourself on the outside on a club run. Perfect timing your shot as a poser in a convertible BMW (or better still Audi TT) comes by.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,841
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Yeah, have no problem dealing with the symptoms, happily snot-rocketing all day today, just wondered why it was happening.
    Happens to me every time - though for a good clear-out I keep a tissue or two in the back pocket, as it has been known for the snot wipe on the glove to get saturated (or should that be snoturated?) Unfortunately I've had a proper cold for a few days, so the green version has kept me off the bike - I'm looking forward to the return of snottus normalis.
  • stigma
    stigma Posts: 51
    My nose always get snotty when I'm out exercising, be it running or cycling. I always wear a wristband when I'm out, and wipe my nose on the wristband, so that my gloves and clothing stays clear of snot. Works just fine!!
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Stigma - I like the wristband idea. I have put up with soggy gloves for the past 50 years! I have also tried all sorts of nasal sprays etc to cure the rhinitis - nothing seems to work. Not wating to be too graphic, but after the first few blows it seems to be just like the water you get in your eyes - not quite snot.
  • Firing decent snot rockets will come with experience. I can take a pedestrian out at 20 yards now.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I wear glasses - I'm short sighted - but I still get very snotty when I ride. Nothing I can do seems to help it...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I use nasal strips (Breathe-Right in Aust) and they eliminate 90% of the nose stuff.

Best thing I ever did was start wearing them.
  • s25scd
    s25scd Posts: 84
    Mega wind up in the north east of scotland today, going down a hill into the wind I blew out ,thought I,d aimed it to the side but no, both barrels all over my face and glasses :oops: must have looked a right state :lol:
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    It's probably a measure of my immature outlook, but practicing snots is one of the most fun things about cycling; two good Exocets and then a wipe on the glove - mind you now it's coming colder the backs of my Sealskinz ultragrip gloves do resemble chainmail when I get home :lol:
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    I understand its also called Honeymoon Hayfever - i.e. brought on during strenous exercise. I have a big sniff of a Vicks Inhaler before a ride and that helps.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.