OK, Torbay MTB ers - any age!

devbrix
devbrix Posts: 127
edited October 2010 in MTB rides
Looks like most the local over 40s are unbale to get off their sofas to get on a mountain bike so opening the invite to any local MTB'ers to get together for rides.
Everyone welcome, no ageism here!!

David
All of these things....

Comments

• What a response! lol

I'm a 27 year old lone rider from Exeter/Dawlish, would love to ride with a group sometime?
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314
  • Am always up for a ride!
    Sundays are good for me for a group leisure ride. Have been posting interest in another forum (torbay over 40's group).
    I have been trying to get out for a ride with the group and hopefully a group will go out this Sunday to Dartmoor.
    Whatever the interest from others, i am keen. (have posted a few ride options of various length and difficulty on over 40 forum)
  • devbrix
    I'm up for a ride this Sunday. Beanhead as well? Can you drop us a line thru the private message bit and we can organise?
    All of these things....
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    This sounds good I will be up for a ride if my knee pain clears up
    not sure what I have done to it but it hurts like hell I was going to go for a ride today but had to put it on hold
    it hurts just above left of knee cap when I bend it :cry:
    let me know when your going
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • I can't do Sunday, I'm going Cwmcarn on Friday and hen I'm going out on the beer Saturday night so I'll be no good for a ride on Sunday.

I work shift so I'm often available week days too, keep the suggestions coming
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314
  • camerauk
    Beanhead I get a wed off so could arrange a trip out if you want
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Hi not sure how far you would like to go, I know cameruk would prefer not to go too far to start with.

A couple of suggestions: 'Around the Teign' route (Steps bridge/moretonhampstead/Castle Drogo/Drewsteignton, Cheriton Bishop and back to Steps bridge)

Princetown, South Hessary Tor, Eastern Tor across to the scout hut then back up Eylesbarrow turn left down to Norsworthy Bridge around Burrator and back to Princetown via dismantled railway.

Or if we want something a bit shorter then Dunnabridge Pound out to Bellever, up to Soussons farm and along to Bennets Cross back along road to Postbridge and back through Bellever to Dunnabridge (nice ride, not too challenging)

Anyway, happy to do anything really.

Dont mind lift sharing or meeting up on way if thats cool. Can even get a minibus if there is a group of us!!
  • camerauk My shifts mean that i get about 4 wednesdays off every couple of months, it's a little complicated but basically i don't have a wednesday off until the 17th November. I'll be up for organising something around then though, weather depending obviously ;)

As for Sundays, my next available date is the 7th November and i am up for any length of ride on Dartmoor, i've only done very short rides before and only twice. I'm still very new to mountain biking.
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314
  • devbrix
    Probably the shorter route on Sunday for me as I had an op 2 weeks ago and although I'm feeling fine I haven't been back on a bike since. I'm going out on Saturday on my usual local Brixham/ Noss Woods/Kingswear route to test myself out. I think I'll be fine.
    I'll contact you all through the private bit and email you with my contact details, great to share a car on Sunday if possible.
    All of these things....
  • devbrix
    Hi
    I've sent private message to you all with my email and mobile so we can coordinate future rides.
    David
    All of these things....
  • camerauk
    Hope I should be fit for a ride will have a quick cycle on sat morn to find out
    How far are you thinking of going and what sort of route very technical or easy?
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • As devbrix (David) is just returning from op, the Dunnabridge pound, Bellever, Soussons plantation, postbridge and back route is a good option. Not technical but varied and only a couple of hills
  • camerauk
    Sounds good
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • camerauk
    Focusrider how far is it in total and where do we start from?
    have you got a route map that I could look over
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    Eh, what....

sorry been away with work with limited web access so managed to fail to notice the chance of a ride this weekend!

I am guessing its not going to be too fast and furious??

Is there space for a couple more?

Kat
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • camerauk
    Don't think it will be fast or furious
    Always room for more on the rides hope to see you Sunday
    not sure where we are meeting yet
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Looks like we have a nice group developing, the more the merrier!

The route starts not far from Dartmeet (Badgers holt) car park, in fact probably best to meet there. 11am any good!

The route grid ref start is 641 746 Dunnabridge Pound carpark.

Then we head off North East keeping Laughter tor to our left. Then down past Laughter hole farm and down into Bellever carpark (approx 3km).

Turn left as you leave Bellever and cross bridge, heading up the hill which eventually levels out. At the top of a short incline turn left through a gate just before a line of trees.

Head North (straight ahead)crossing a track till you reach Soussons plantation. Turn left down the road till you see a track on the left, this takes you down to the farm. (7.5km)

Keep North through a gate straight ahead befor turning into the farm and keep going across a few tracks till you drop down onto forest track (9km)

Keep going straight ahead and bear right at the junction going down hill. At the bottom turn right and pick up the shallow stream. Ride ahead through it and keep ahead passing footpath on left. Shortly after footpath take a right up hill (rough steep track but challenging if unfit.
    Eventually you hit the main road, turn left past the Warren House Inn and continue up then down to Postbridge (14km)
    Turn left back towards Belllever and turn right back into the car park, continue straight through and follow the track back up the same way we came down earlier nice downhill section at the end (21km)
  • camerauk
    Sounds good to me just hope my knee will be up to it lol
    It's a bit better today bit still hurts when I walk on it I will have a short ride tomorrow
    Afternoon and will know then if I will be ok
    11 am
    Is good for me
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • See everyone at Dartmeet then at 11am. Looking forward to it!

If this becomes regular I can get a minibus so we can travel together if that is beneficial for people.
  • camerauk
    Ok I will confirm I can make it tomorrow night
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • mobilekat
    Sounds good- we should be there!

So 11am at Dartmeet then drive up to Dunnabridge?

Allowing for the vagueness of life getting in the way!!
  • See you at Dartmeet then everybody at 11am. I think they have loo's there which maybe handy if anyone has any last minute nerves!!
  • I'm gutted I'm missing this ride but I'm more gutted that my shocks let me down today at Afan :x (I went to Afan rather than Cwncarn)

I'm off to Bike Shed in Exeter in the morning to see if it's just a service need or a warrenty job, either way I expect my bike will be off the road for a couple weeks at least.

Enjoy the ride, hopefully I'll make the next one

Bucko
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314
  • camerauk
    Thats not good news Bucko good luck with getting it fixed
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Just seen the weather for tomorrow and its good news, sunny am & pm! :lol:
    The route is mainly rockbed with only a couple of areas that could get sticky if it tipped it down. Also the route is easy to follow should visibility be poor with plenty of short cuts should anything happen (90% of the route also has a clear orange network coverage & I carry gps backup)

I know the above might seem a little overkill but its just a habit from the day job.

See you all tomorrow at Dartmeet (my car is a red polo with a bike on the roof)
  • mobilekat
    Thanks for a great ride!!
    (and for waiting for me to catch up!)

Looking forward to the next outing! And hopefully Bucko can make it too!
  • camerauk
    Yes was really good
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • devbrix
    Thanks to Kat, Mark, Andy and especially Paul Hayes (Hot Pursuit Cycles team) who led the ride today on Dartmoor. Weather was perfect and it was a great ride.

We dicsussed a route around Teign Valley/Castle Drogo for next Sunday and all are welcome as its very relaxed - just drop me a line through the forum or on email at jo-is@bluebottle.com for details of next weeks ride.

See you soon

David
    All of these things....
  • camerauk
    If anyone wants the route of todays ride drop me a PM and I will send it to you
    Andy
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • devbrix
    We are going to do the Steps Bridge/Moretonhampstead/Fingle Bridge/Castle Drogo/ Cheriton loop on Sunday 31/10 meeting at the Steps Bridge car park near Dunsford (OS 191/sx802883 EX6 7EG) at 10-10.30. The ride is a fairly dry 23 miles and should take about 3 hours but can be shortened if needs be. All are welcome!

If you wish to be put on the email list for future rides drop me a line using the private message bit.

David
    All of these things....