Thin, long gloves for cold weather

jamessmith01
jamessmith01 Posts: 12
edited November 2010 in Road beginners
I'm looking for some long-fingered gloves for autumn/spring/winter(?) cycling. I would like them to be fairly thin so I still have good control, and possibly with some padding on the palm. I don't want waterproofs as these seem to be too sweaty. I also don't like the ones with loads of layers that are more like skiiing gloves. The lowest we ever get here (London) is usually 0ºC, but they'll probably mostly be used at higher temps.

I was about to buy the Pearl Izumi Cyclone, as I tried them in a shop and they fit well and were comfortable. However, I then found this link, which said the durability was bad, and that put me off.

Does any have any gloves that fit the remit to recommend? Or failing that, any brands that you trust for gloves? I'm slightly put off PI now - should I be?

Thanks.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    De Feet Dura work for me on all but the coldest of days. No padding though.
    More problems but still living....
  • Do you find you don't need the padding then? I'm assuming it would be better, but I don't know.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I notice it a bit on longer rides, but it's not much of a problem for me.
    More problems but still living....
  • cedar404
    cedar404 Posts: 176
    Hincapie Merino Wool Gloves - I wore these all last winter and they were superb, just started wearing them again now:

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/17534/Hin ... n=pid17534
  • Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't really looked at woolen gloves - do they keep the wind off well enough?
  • cedar404
    I can only speak from my own experience, even down to 0c last winter my hands and fingers were fine, got caught out in some heavy rain a couple of times as well - gloves get wet but your hands stay warm due to the merino + they dry out pretty quickly when the rain eases off.

For under £20 they are amazing value.
  • Cheers mate. Do they have a lining or are they just pure wool?
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Cannondale do some good ones. They have a padded leather palm and nose-wipe on the thumbs. They also have a removable "cover" - it fits over the fingers like a lobster claw for extra protection on cold days. When not needed the cover fits into a little pocket on the back of the hand. I don't know the name of the style but maybe they are on the website. They are warm, comfy, and not bulky.

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • cedar404
    Cheers mate. Do they have a lining or are they just pure wool?

No lining, just wool. There is a great pic floating around the 'net of Cadel Evans wearing them during that stage @ the Giro when it chucked it down for hour after hour.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/05/ ... ia-2010-26
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Specialized Equinox BG for this time of year - Endura Deluge (with the rubber liners removed) for when it gets properly cold...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I find the Spesh Deflects quite good but they cannot cope with 3-5 deg or less. Hence, I need another thicker pair for very cold days.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I use these when it's cold:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33888
    They're SUPERB !!!!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • +1 for De Feet Dura. Really keep the wind out - I often wear mine with mits on top to provide padding.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i have the PI cyclone gloves - i'm on my second pair (over four years - but first pair were wrecked in an accident last winter) I think they are excellent - started wearing them today for the winter season - they are very useful in that they can be worn from now through pretty much the coldest parts of winter (any colder and you probably won't go out anyway cos of ice) and into early spring. at £22.99 they are a bargain.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    For quality, durable gloves look at Gore - I have an 10-year old pair of Windstopper ones still going strong - biking, dog walking. I have a pair of the DeFeet Dura gloves but wouldn't fancy them much below 5 degrees
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    I have the Pearl Izumi Cyclones, and also find them excellent. I wore them for perhaps 1000 km of riding through our winter, and they appear hardly worn at all. Highly recommended.

Your link to someone who wears them out in a couple of months... I think he's just gripping it too tight... whatever it is.. :lol:
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Thanks for all your replies. Not sure where I am now, I'll have to try and digest it all! Especially those saying the Cyclones are alright... now they're back in the running. Hmm.
  • You really do need a pair of De Feet Duras. God knows how I went so many years without them. They perform much better than they look like they would.
  • So is this one the same as this one? Are they both made of merino, or not unless it specifically says it in the title?
  • I think the Wiggle ones are fancy pants wool, while the JeJames ones are plain old Coolmax and cordura. I got mine from here.
  • They're different. Only Merino if it says in title.
  • So would you assume the merino would be better?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I would assume so. Even my cheapest merino baselayers seem to achieve the impossible by making me feel warm and dry when in fact I'm quite damp.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Those de feet gloves aren't warm at all when it gets cold.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    What about some Seal Skinz? Warm, thin and waterproof from what I can tell / been told, I'm intending ordering some.
  • I bought some BBB ones from my LBS last week and have had 2 rides with them so far, latest being yesterday when it was about 6 deg. C.
    They were fine as far as keeping my hands/fingers warm, and are thin enough to still allow good control, but do lack padding. I found this out after the first ride, and yesterday wore my short fingered summer gloves under them. Problem solved, plus a bit more warmth as well. Not ideal wearing 2 pairs, when I could have bought one pair to do it all, but at least I know the padding on the summer gloves is comfy.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team