Colnago C40 - eBay purchase

nochekmate
nochekmate Posts: 3,460
edited May 2011 in Your road bikes
Bought off eBay as a complete bike for what I think was a bargain at £720 (included a few other spare parts & bike bag!

Yes I know that many of you out there would only see a Campagnolo Record/Chorus groupset on this bike but since my other bike has Shimano Dura-Ace 7800, I'm not too upset with the DA7700!

Paintwork and tyre colour may be a bit garish for some but I quite like it. The ride quality is amazing I have to say - just so smooth even on our poor roads.

P1060458.jpg
P1060460.jpg

Frame: Colnago C40 carbon Arte Deco 56cm
Forks: Colnago
Shifters: Shimano Dura-Ace 7700 9 speed
Calipers: Shimano Dura-Ace 7700
Front Mech: Shimano Dura-Ace 7700
Rear Mech: Shimano Dura-Ace 7700
Seat: Selle Italia Filante
Seat Post: Deda Supercarbon RS 27.2mm with 28mm shim (New)
Seat Post Clamp: Colnago
Cranks: Shimano Dura-Ace 7700
Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace 12-25
Pedals: Look Keos
Wheelset: Shimano Dura-Ace WH7700
Tyres: Michelin Pro-Race 3 in flash yellow (added later as original PR2s split -more like light green)

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    You can always get it repainted if you don't like it? Nice bike though :)
  • leeroy72
    leeroy72 Posts: 330
    Very nice.... 8)
    Find your limits...and then exceed them frequently
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Nice price, great spec.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • nochekmate
    You can always get it repainted if you don't like it? Nice bike though :)

I DO like it and I suppose that's what matters after all. The paintwork is all in fine order too, which is probably a testimony to Colnago's quality.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Classic Art Deco Colnago Paint work, don't change it!!

Very nice mate.
  • nochekmate
    NapoleonD wrote:

Very nice mate.

No intention whatsoever of changing it - thanks Nap
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Classic, love it.

But it needs campag!!!

8)
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Welcome to the world of Colnago!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    NapoleonD wrote:

Very nice mate.

More Art Nouveau than Deco - too curvy for Deco! Congrats for not owning a red white and black bike :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • wow what a bargain, and great paint job.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    No it's lovely. You say garish but I think changing the tyres will fix that! :wink:
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • how do i view my pm's can anyone help
    cheers
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    how do i view my pm's can anyone help
    cheers

Go here,
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/
    then its the link under the blue bar with the cycling mag logos on it,

or this link here. http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/privmsg ... lder=inbox
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • janner1
    janner1 Posts: 34
    Or click on the classified section and as long as you are log in your messages will show in the left hand corner below the main header
  • Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291
    wicked wrote:
    No it's lovely. You say garish but I think changing the tyres will fix that! :wink:

+1.

And get rid of that seatpost while you're there. :wink:
  • nochekmate
    Hibbs wrote:
    wicked wrote:

+1.

Yes - not overkeen on the seatpost profile myself (Deda carbon). I was looking for an original Colnago 28mm carbon post but they are very expensive and fetching very high prices on eBay too.
  • Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291
    nochekmate wrote:
    Hibbs wrote:
    wicked wrote:

+1.

Yes - not overkeen on the seatpost profile myself (Deda carbon). I was looking for an original Colnago 28mm carbon post but they are very expensive and fetching very high prices on eBay too.

Any "normal" round seatpost would be fine, it's the aerodynamic post that just doesn't suit the rest of the bike. Easton do a fairly cheap post that would look smart - plain black with a small Easton logo in yellow. You have the potential for a truly stunning bike there, a couple of minor tweeks will improve it no end.
  • nochekmate
    Hibbs - thanks for the advice (and compliments).
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    i could be wrong, but the paint style is spelt "arte decor"

mrdsgs
    Colnago Addict!
  • Anonymous
    I have a carbon colnago seat pin that I could be encouraged to relinquish for a reasonable fee...
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    much cheaper would be a 27.2-28.0 shim from an online retailer and then either a plain carbon 27.2 seatpost.

(that's what I did to enable me to use a campag record titanium 27.2 seatpost with my c40
    see "my colnago family" thread)

mrdsgs
    Colnago Addict!
  • nochekmate
    I'm already operating a 27.2mm - 28mm shim

Nap - thanks for the offer but I need to be offloading some gear at the moment rather than spending more (I'm probably coming in to your league at the moment! :wink:)
  • caw35slr
    caw35slr Posts: 439
    nochekmate wrote:
    I'm already operating a 27.2mm - 28mm shim

Please, where did you get it?
  • ascurrell
    ascurrell Posts: 1,739
    Great looking, great spec and yes a great price,

Overall a great buy, it's gonna be a classic if it isn't already.

Because it is quite colourful out of interest what kit do you wear when riding it,

Cheers, Scurry
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    NoCheck, you got that at a Bargain price, I just finished building mine at the weekend and mine cost me a small fortune..

NAPD have you still got that Colnago 27.2 Seat Post?

Its taking a while to set up, moved the seat forward again yesterday but I figure I might need a long stem.

Blimey are these quick steering or what, I luv the Athena 11s, better than my other bikes with record 10s on.: -

c40rhs.jpg
  • nochekmate
    Velonutter wrote:
    NoCheck, you got that at a Bargain price, I just finished building mine at the weekend and mine cost me a small fortune..

Definitely a bargain :wink: and will soon be dressed in Campag Chorus hopefully.

Velo- enjoy your C40 - super smooth ride.

As far as the shim is concerned for poster above, I cannot remember where I got it from but since I bought Nap's seatpost, the shim may be available.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Velonutter wrote:
    Its taking a while to set up, moved the seat forward again yesterday but I figure I might need a long stem.

Surely that'd be a shorter stem if you're having to move your seat forward?

Nice bikes guys but i just wish someone would put full alloy Athena on one. Not because it's 'retro' ( :roll:) , i just think it would suit.
  • c0ugars
    c0ugars Posts: 202
    You got it for a great price!!!!!!!!! i think i might have to splash out on one now
  • Anonymous
    Velonutter wrote:

NAPD have you still got that Colnago 27.2 Seat Post?

Blimey are these quick steering or what, I luv the Athena 11s, better than my other bikes with record 10s on.: -

c40rhs.jpg

Seatpin was selled last week in the classifieds for 35 squids.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

Surely that'd be a shorter stem if you're having to move your seat forward?

Nice bikes guys but i just wish someone would put full alloy Athena on one. Not because it's 'retro' ( :roll:) , i just think it would suit.

Problem I have Mike is that when on the top of the bars I can't see the front axle (which means it is right), but on the hoods and bends I can, but I was getting some knee pain with the seat right back, so moved it forward and it went but the consequences are that I can see more of the front axle, so with a longer stem it should correct the situation.

I have a mate coming round this weekend so will look at precisely where my knee is over the pedal axle with a plumb bob and determine the changes from there.