Caffeine tablets

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited October 2010 in Health, fitness & training
I don't drink coffee - it make me all hyper :) - so whenever I have a slug of Monster/Relentless/Red Bull/whatever on a ride, it's like rocket fuel.

I'd thought about adding a few mg of caffeine to my Camelbak reservoir and wondered if anybody had used Pro Plus or similar with their usual sports/energy drink?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    why not just have a cup of coffe before riding?
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Personally, I'd stay well clear of caffeine. It makes me buzzed up and ride faster than I'm capable of. It's a fast way for me to end up wrapped around a tree.
  • .blitz
    why not just have a cup of coffe before riding?
    I'd thought about taking on a few mg over the course of a two/three hour ride instead of all in one go.

Like chedabob, 30 mg or so in one shot sends me into orbit.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I used to use caffeinated Zym tablets when racing, 100mg of caffeine per tablet, I'd often have 4 in 2 hours. Didn't really affect me personally.

They're good though, keep you hydrated and stave off cramp, but don't provide any carbs, so you need to eat more, or take gels, or have a separate source of carbs.
  • .blitz
    Thanks njee that was the kind of thing I was looking for. Will dissolve one in a litre and take it from there :)

Have you tried the caffeinated High5 products?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yes, I like the Energy Source +, drink 1-2 bottles before a race, the Xtreme is a bit sharp for my liking, although I'm not sure that's not just the citrus flavour, rather than the caffeine. Have used that for TTs and sprint tris, but wouldn't fancy multiple bottles over the course of an XC ride/race.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    .blitz wrote:
    Sounds like a plus.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    .blitz wrote:
    Sounds like a plus.

Except you have to come back down again...

Caffeine is also meant to be a good aid to recovery. It helps the body in storing muscle glycogen.
  • i've tried a couple different types

pro plus isnt worth the cost..a cup of strong coffee would be more beneficial

Forza caffeine extra 200mg, was ok
    kaizen caffiene 200mg was very good

dont advise taking anything after 5pm if you need to be up early, because you wont get to sleep till late unless you murder yourself through exercise
    Crafted in Italy apparantly