Avid Juicy 5 Front Brake Pinging Sound

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I am running a Juicy 5 (185mm)on the front and an Elixir R (160mm) on the rear. When riding the front brake seems to produce a pinging/tinging sound.This happens when i have not pressed the brake lever and am just riding normally.

I have checked the rotor clearance and aligned the caliper properly so i know nothing is rubbing etc.

Any ideas as to what is causing this sound or is it 'normal' with Juicy brakes?

I never get this sound from the Elixir on the rear.

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• louse
    louse Posts: 80
    slightly warped rotor, lose bearings, or a missplaced pad retention spring.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Apparently it's the pad spring, and you can spend ages trying to sort it, or just ignore it as it doesn't do any harm.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's pretty much normal with juicys. Shouldn't be, but some of us just gave up trying to eliminate it when nothing worked.
  • mikeyj28
    Louse wrote:

It isn't the pad retention spring and i don't think there are any loose bearings.
    Maybe the rotor is slightly warped but i don't think so at the minute.

The noise isn't constant, just 20% of the time when not going flat out on flat surfaces.
    More annoying than anything else as people hear a pinging noise before you've got to them haha
    Thanks for the reply.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • mikeyj28
    It's pretty much normal with juicys. Shouldn't be, but some of us just gave up trying to eliminate it when nothing worked.

That is what i am thinking as i have tried a lot of things but am coming to the conclusion that nothing works.
    Juicys are so annoying ggrrrr!!!

Thanks for your help.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    Louse wrote:

It isn't the pad retention spring and i don't think there are any loose bearings.
    Maybe the rotor is slightly warped but i don't think so at the minute.

The noise isn't constant, just 20% of the time when not going flat out on flat surfaces.
    More annoying than anything else as people hear a pinging noise before you've got to them haha
    Thanks for the reply.

Could just be the pads rattling. I've noticed mine make a bit of a racket when going fast.

Just as an aside, can locking the wheels cause the rotor to become warped?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    It may not seem like it but I am sure it IS the spring. I tried everything with mine, had the LBS look at it, they tried it in the shop with new wheel/rotor etd, faced the mounts slightly all to no avail. Was on the verge of replacing the forks as they said they must be flexing too much but just happenned to try new pads which came with their own spring - HER PRESTO - no more pinging!!!

What was weird was that if I turned the bike upside down and spun the wheel there was no noise but compress the forks slightly and the pinging started - hence why we thought it was the forks...

I was about to dump the Juicys and if it comes back again I will but I am happy for now!
  • The problem is with the pad retaining clip, not the pad spreader

Mine pinged loads until I took it out and bent it so it sat more tightly in the calliper

Problem solved and no ping any more

8)
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    My brakes did that for a while, turned out the caliper was loose :shock: Although that was with Shimano calipers, they also have the return springs.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • mikeyj28
    Thanks guys for your input/help

Cheers!!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Does that mean you fixed it?
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    I've also been trying to work out this 'srrring' noise for ages -
    I have Tektro Auriga Comps; it happens only on the front about 10% of the time when cruising 12-15 mph along a flat (in particular a section of tar between my house and the woods, always on the way there, never on the way home . . ); just touching the brakes stops it.

I fettled the pad retaining screw, pad springs, fitted new pads, adjusted calliper and adaptor . . no luck. Then one fine day I had the front wheel OFF and inadvertently knocked the rim, and 'srinnng' , there it was . . :shock:. Tried again . . yep, could replicate the problem. Loosened the rotor bolts . . gone . . . tightened them, and there it was again, although not quite the same. Get it going, touch rotor. . noise stops.

It was the rotor resonating.

There seems to be a point at which the frequency of vibration from the terrain synchs with the resonant frequency of the rotor, and srinnng it goes. Probably requires a certain combo of tyre pressure / spoke tension / hub design / rotor design / rotor bolt torque / fork settings / perhaps even temperature (?) and tread pattern (?).
    It would be interesting to know if anyone has had this noise with rotors other than plain one-piece steel, like floating or the multi-layered discs.

To test my theory and as a possible cure, I'm thinking about weaving a rubber band or cable-tie through the rotor spokes as a vibration damper, but still working out a fail-safe way. Obviously can't risk fouling the calliper mid-obvious.
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    rubber might get melted onto the rotors as well, making quite a mess.

I had hope floating rotors, and shimano saint rotors on for a while, and that trademark avid "PING" was still ever-present.
    And, conversely, sticking the same disc on my other bike, which has Saint brakes, makes the "PIng" go away.