fiiting 150mm forks on to specialized hardock

specialized hardrock
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
hi all

does anyone know if it would be ok to fit 150mm forks onto specialized hardrock 19" frame or would it just mess up the geometry of the bike :?

cheers
carrera vengeance ultimate 11
specialized hardrock sport pro 05
commencal combi disc 08
trek 3900 04

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you can fit them if you want to as they will actually fit.

but you will have a bike that rides like a bag of potatoes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Also have no warranty and more likely to damage frame if you crash or land bad.

Don't do it. 110mm maximum on this frame.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Hardrock handles fantastically well on 100mm forks. It will ride like a tank with 150mm forks, the geometry will be all wrong.
  • cheers people
    carrera vengeance ultimate 11
    specialized hardrock sport pro 05
    commencal combi disc 08
    trek 3900 04
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    will ride like a total pig, and handle horribly, and will prob snap the frame and ruin your face. But its up to you. :wink:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    My hardrock has been running 150mm forks for over a year now, rides beautifully and handles really really well.

Frames still in one piece and it gets ridden hard too!

Mines a 2004 model though, and no warranty, plus i use it for 4X and juming so its really doesn't matter.
  • You'd die. The whole frame would implode as soon as the forks were attached. This would also kill bunnys and kittens *

*obviously this a made up (maybe - i've never thought of putting 150mm forks on a frame that is specified for 100mm forks) however all of tha above is correct.... potatoes and no warranty...
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    nicklouse wrote:
    you can fit them if you want to as they will actually fit.

but you will have a bike that rides like a bag of potatoes.

this, and
    supersonic wrote:
    Also have no warranty and more likely to damage frame if you crash or land bad.

Don't do it. 110mm maximum on this frame.

this

and why? if you need more travel you're better off getting a frame that was designed for it.
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    *AJ* wrote:
    My hardrock has been running 150mm forks for over a year now, rides beautifully and handles really really well.

Mines a 2004 model though, and no warranty, plus i use it for 4X and juming so its really doesn't matter.

Out of interest, do you have any pics of it? I suspect it looks a bit like this

1273813373121_f.jpg
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    thel33ter wrote:
    *AJ* wrote:

Out of interest, do you have any pics of it? I suspect it looks a bit like this

1273813373121_f.jpg

Yeah sure.....

Iphone4024.jpg
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    I've seen some frames can handle a lot longer forks than recommended and some snapping with the recommended amount of travel.

So do it at your own risk.
  • thel33ter
    @AJ, super cool build. That doesn't look anywhere as slack as I expected, and that model Hardrock has a wayyy overbuilt front end, so I can't see it snapping easily.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    thats the older Hardrock, it was built like a tank.... iv run one of those with 120mm.... but the newer one is a dif beast.. not a good idea.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Only thing that always gets me about these is "It will handle badly". It might, it might not, you can't know without trying it. People are always happy to accept a frame that the manufacturer says will run with various fork lengths but not one that an owner changes. Take Cotic as a nice example, the Soul was designed for shorter forks, then along comes the BFe and gets the exact same geometry but can take up to 160mm. The frame's strong enough obviously but the geometry was never designed for a long fork. Yet it works. Why is that magically different to sticking a longer fork in a different frame that wasn't designed for it?

The strength issue is obviously a different kettle of fish. I always reckon, if you reckon you're riding hard enough to want that much extra fork, you're riding too hard for the extra stress, in most cases.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    My housemates hardrock rides rubbishly at 130mm, i hate to think what it'd be like at 150!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    thel33ter wrote:
    @AJ, super cool build. That doesn't look anywhere as slack as I expected,
    Seriously? It looks about as slack as a DH bike :shock:
  • xtreem
    I don't understand, how come a XC hardtail with slack head angle because of a longer fork
    rides rubbish, when the proper trail/AM bike has even slacker angle and rides beautifully?

Also on the XC bike the BB height will be raised but that doesn't mean that on the AM bike
    the BB height is super low.

So the only reason that the XC bike will ride rubbish is because of the longer stem and
    the narrown XC bars.

And after all, no one rides the same, and it's all personal preference.
    Me for example, don't want anything slacker than 69*.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Xtreem wrote:
    So the only reason that the XC bike will ride rubbish is because of the longer stem and the narrown XC bars.

And also possibly the head tube will come off
    Uncompromising extremist
  • xtreem
    Yep, and that too.

EDIT// People shouldn't put longer fork than recommended just because of the safe factor, not because of the handling.
  • Anonymous
    Xtreem wrote:
    I don't understand, how come a XC hardtail with slack head angle because of a longer fork
    rides rubbish, when the proper trail/AM bike has even slacker angle and rides beautifully?
    A slacker headtube slows down the steering response. An XC hardtail will change directions like a housefly, and is great for twisty singletrack, but will feel excessively nervous at speed.
    A DH bike, will have a very slack head angle, making it very stable at high speeds, but making it a pig to manouver around twisty, tight, techy trails.

AM/Enduro/whatever they're currently called, sit somewhere between the two.

But, the head angle alone does not dictate by itself how the bike handles in other regards. This has much to do with rider weight distribution, wheelbase, etc etc.
    So, if you take a bike that handles really sweetly with a steep head angle, then put a fork on it that gives it a very slack head angle, it will slow down the bike's handling markedly, and may also have some serious adverse effects on other aspects of the handling.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter wrote:

It doesn't look very slack compared to this one from a similar angle

IMGP9531+v22.jpg
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • xtreem
    Correct Yeehaamcgee

But if some one wants to put 150mm fork on a 100mm hardtail, means that the bike isn't going to be used for XC that much, but if it does, then thats just stupid. That's what I want to say.
  • thel33ter
    Xtreem wrote:
    Correct Yeahaamcgee

But if some one wants to put 150mm fork on a 100mm hardtail, means that the bike isn't going to be used for XC that much, but if it does, then thats just stupid. That's what I want to say.

I 100% agree, but sooner I reckon an XC bike will have around 140-150mm travel.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Anonymous
    thel33ter wrote:
    thel33ter wrote:

It doesn't look very slack compared to this one from a similar angle

IMGP9531+v22.jpg
    Eh? No it doesn't.
    That one in your picture has the front wheel higher up than the rear as well.
  • supersonic
    Also seat angle. Many modern long travel frames can have seat angles just as steep as XC frames to keep the weight over the front end. Plus other bits of geo too. if not sitting down might make less difference.

In end is personal preference. But the frame was designed to have neutral handling with a max of 110mm fork, or about 490mm axle to crown. ANn is not warrantied for more.
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    1273813373121_f.jpg[/quote]

i always wanted one of those frames, you dont know what over building is untill you've seen an evil imp in person
  • Anonymous
    Stuy-b wrote:
    i always wanted one of those frames,
    Dear gods, WHY?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stuy-b wrote:
    i always wanted one of those frames,
    Dear gods, WHY?

Freud might call it compensation. But then again he did have a smutty mind.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    Bet on the flat it has the turning circle of an oil tanker.
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Those old Hardrocks are a fine example of getting a jump bike on a budget. Have seen some nice examples of them being rebuilt by - the real Bike Pimp- and his clients never came back to him with frame cracking/failing issues.
    As OP stated, he wants a jump bike therefore if thats 04 model which as we all know built like a tank would serve him well.

-the real Bike Pimp- however powdercoated them + pimpy stickers and went for max 120mm forks. Surely that's plenty enough for jumping around.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though