Recomendations wanted for winter tights/trousers

Jaydoubleyou
Jaydoubleyou Posts: 41
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
Can anyone recomend a good set of entry level (aka cheap!) winter tights or trousers.
I have been riding in shorts since May but was out for a couple of hours yesterday in my bib shorts and felt that I would have been much happier in longs.
I am not too keen on the second skin lycra look but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of alternatives. I was thinking about Ronhill Bikesters.
Any good? And will I really look like a 70's PE teacher?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    I have lusso tights - one pair lined and one not. Both fit really well and have seen me through two/three winters each - not the most expensive by any means but I;ve found them great value and the lined ones are really warm on very cold days.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Altura Winter Cruisers?

I have worn either these or the lighter weight ones a lot over the last 2 or 3 years and they're still great. The winter ones have a fleecy lining (often termed Roubaix) and seem a bit more windproof than the normal (summer?) Cruisers, which are very much like Ron Hill-style fabric.

I'd recommend covering your knees below about 15° C.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Go for the Ronhill!

I also dont like the look of tights and went for some Ronhill Advance Terrain pants and they were good but I also ordered some bikester evolution which have a more relaxed fit - they are really good. The bikesters have a different material which is absolutely fantastic for performance - dont notice the cold in the slightest but dont feel hot at all either. The slightly more relaxed fit is exactly what I wanted too.

If you want the relaxed fit make sure you go for the evolution not the standard bikester. They are not loose at all and dont flap around - just right.

I got mine here which seemed to be the cheapest: http://www.therealsportsstore.com/secti ... tion_ID=23

Cant fault them to be honest but not sure everyone on here will agree...
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    pm sent
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Yes you will look like a PE teacher in Ron Hills :wink:

I recently bought some DHB Pace thermal (waist) tights for days when its too warm for shorts, but too cold for full on bib tights (I hate knee/leg warmers). I got some without pad and wear them under my bib shorts. Works well and they're cheap.
    More problems but still living....