Signalling while on the hoods or drops

pmorgan1
pmorgan1 Posts: 173
edited October 2010 in Commuting general
Having just read the main article (link below) I realised I am indeed not confident signaling when riding on the hoods or drops, particularly on a bumpy surface.

Do people mostly (a) do not signal or (b) switch to the top, signal, go back to drops or (c) smth else?

Thanks.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/t ... ffic-28134

Comments

• coffeecup
    coffeecup Posts: 128
    Don't use the drops much. Mostly on the hoods but happy just to signal whatever way I am.

Been commuting for about 5 years so pretty comfortable in traffic.
    Time you've enjoyed wasting, hasn't been wasted

Bianchi L'Una, Bianchi 928 C2C 105, Dahon MU SL
  • pmorgan1
    pmorgan1 Posts: 173
    Thanks, perfectly OK to do it on an MTB, but being stretched out on the hoods is a whole different story when the core of the body has to support itself and the other hand...
  • coffeecup wrote:
    Don't use the drops much. Mostly on the hoods but happy just to signal whatever way I am.

Been commuting for about 5 years so pretty comfortable in traffic.

+1 - just getting back onto drop bar cx I feel safer signalling from wherever my hands are than not doing so.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I spend almost all the time on the hoods and have never found it uncomfortable to signal from there (it's not a low-slung racer, though). If I need to signal and I'm in the drops, I will move up to the hoods before doing so.

No excuse for not signalling. Always signal!
  • I'm nearly always on the hoods too and the only time I've had trouble indicating has been while descending when I need to indicate and slow down at the same time. This only happens on roads I don't know, though, when turnings come up a little quicker than expected.

To get more confident about signalling, try alternately taking one hand off the bars while the other covers the brakes when you're away from traffic. It'll become a smooth movement from two-handed to one-handed.
  • Lmrt1
    Lmrt1 Posts: 26
    Always signal if anything's around! Just asking to be hit if you don't.

Bit of practice on quiet roads is all you need.

I'm used to MTB's but now commute on a road bike and found I wobbled a bit first of all, but after a short while it all becomes easier. I spend most of the time on the hoods too.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    You get used to it, after a while your muscles in your back and arms counter the slightly unbalanced feeling you initially felt compared to a more upright bike.
  • Ho Bo
    Ho Bo Posts: 6
    Ah glad it's not just me - I've recently converted from a hybrid to drops and I feel extremely unsteady when I signal - although it is getting a bit better. I've been practising on the quiet roads, but I feel I may need to strengthen my stomach muscles and core strength - especially to signal on a descent.... at the moment that is impossible.... :?
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I think planning ahead always helps

If you dont know the roads then just be a bit more cautious.

Will also help if you try sit up just a little whilst your getting used to it, not easy to learn on hoods if your more hunched over. If your going to fast to be signalling then your not approaching the corner safely imo