brake bleeding question

europeandy
europeandy Posts: 118
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Im needing to bleed an avid juicy 3, the kit comes with a bottle of D0t 5.1, but I seem to remember the brakes are filled with Dot4.
Am I correct in thinking that I can use either, but not a mix?
Does bleeding with one completely purge the other from the system or do I have to drain and refill?
Oh and I think I might need to change stuck pistons on one of them but can only find a kit for juicy 5/7, are these compatible with 3's

Thanks

Comments

• ali$tair
    ali$tair Posts: 373
    You can mix them but you will only get the performance of the lower rated one.

Havent a clue about the pistons.
    Trek Fuel EX 8 (2010)
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    ali$tair wrote:
    You can mix them but you will only get the performance of the lower rated one.

Surely that would depend on the ratio of DOT 4:DOT 5.1 that ended up in the system?
  • Know naff all about bike brakes, but in cars, I'm not sure you can mix 4 and 5. You can however mix 3 and 4. I could be wrong...I'm sure there's a combination you're not supposed to mix. I just can't remember which.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Know naff all about bike brakes, but in cars, I'm not sure you can mix 4 and 5. You can however mix 3 and 4. I could be wrong...I'm sure there's a combination you're not supposed to mix. I just can't remember which.

correct you can not mix DOT4 and DOT5 but we are not talking about DOT5 we are talking about DOT5.1

DOT3/4/5.1 are all mixable. but as mentioned above the properties get changed.

PS some DOT4 can be higher spec that DOT5.1 :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ta peeps,
    anyone any idea if the pistons are compatible?