Legs feel like lead at the end of the week - help needed

HavanaBlaugrana
HavanaBlaugrana Posts: 19
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
I commute about 20 miles a day on a road bike usually do longer rides 50 miles (I know its not that far....) at the weekend and over the last couple of weeks have found that by Sunday night my legs can hardly carry me up the stairs, calf ok but thighs are like lead. I stretch before and after plus coldish shower afterwards but no improvement.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Any other symptoms? Have you had a cold or similar recently? Could be post viral.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    What you eat and drink post-ride is important for recovery - maybe you're not topping up your energy reserves and giving yourself a chance to recover?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I stretch before ...

Don't stretch cold muscles/before warmup.
  • tbh the cold shower is a placebo. it might wake up up, but its not really doing anything to your muscles.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... aths-28017
    states that there isnt enough pressure in a shower for the cold to penetrate the muscles, so i guess you need to fill up that wheely bin... :P

do you have recovery shorts/tights? mixed reviews on these but every little helps. also, diet. try out some recovery drinks, make sure you are getting enough water (pref within 5 mins of stopping cycling). have a good carbo/protein meal within the hour.
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Sounds like a fuelling/refuelling problem to me. Are you trying to lose weight aswell? Have you looked into your diet?

Another problem is dehydration, easy to drink plenty of water, electrolytes and whatever when its warmer but often overlooked when the temperature drops.
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    Maybe all you need to do is rest and cut out the 50mile ride for 1 weekend, allow your body to recover? Failing that, massage works wonders, either paying for a massage therapist or getting a foam roller and doing it yourself.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    huuregeil wrote:
    or getting a foam roller and doing it yourself.

:shock:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    When that happens for me I don't ride the next day or I really back off ont he speed and just do an easy spin ride, it just warms up the muscles and helps them get rid of anything that hanging about in them waste product wise, then have a recovery drink after.
  • Thanks very much everyone - the refuelling and rest points seem to have improved things.

Cheers
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    Also so how long are you strecthing for, I mean are you holding it for a while or just a quick one.

Trying to hold each one for at least 30 seconds helps.