Traffic family cycle routes in the Reading area

othello
othello Posts: 577
I'm looking for some suggestions for traffic free cycle routes in the Reading/Berkshire area if anyone knows of any?

We have a 5.5yr old and a 4yr old who are both good cyclists and don't have stabilisers. My wife and I have taken them a few times to Swinley Forest which they love (and they even tried the first part of the Seagull Trail last time!). However we are looking for some alternatives. They don't have to be offroad, in fact it would be good to have paved routes as my 4yr old gets bumped around a lot on her 16" wheel Hardrock!

I have Sustrans maps of the area, but around here they tend to be a mix of roads and man-made paths, and they are not loops. Or they are hard to make into loops.

Basically some good traffic free cycle routes.
Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com

Comments

• ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Bracknell has some cycle paths through the town centre. further down Nine Mile Ride from the Lookout (Finchampstead way) there are some fireroads that are rideable. Similar is available in Crowthorne forest.

TBH - there is a hell of alot of semi-smooth (not bumpy) fireroad at Swinley. You've just got to find it! It all liks up with Crowthorne Forest, so you could park near Broadmore and start there?
  • Windsor Great Park about 8 miles east of Swinley Forest is very good. The southern end around the lake path can be busy with walkers / runners on a weekend but the northern end around Guards Polo Ground never gets that busy with pedestrians. Not actually car free but very few cars normally. Suggest you try parking in Saville Gardens car park ( free for first 90 mins ) then try a loop around the Polo ground. Maps in car park.
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    At that age my kids loved cycling the towpaths of the Kennet and Avon canal (still do at twice that age). Very flat too so ideal for youngsters but goes through some lovely countryside and you can stop at locks to watch the boats and there are plenty of pubs to eat at.

I know its not a loop but mine are happy cycling back or you can get the train back for next to nothing if you have family & friends railcard.

There are some loops with almost traffic free roads in part.
  • How about Greenham Common too? About 15 miles west of Reading, and miles of very flat gravel track. We took my other half's nephew up there on his bike & spent a very happy afternoon tootling round, with the added excitement of seeing missile bunkers, a control tower & a fireplane!
    FCN 10