Frame Size for Tall Rider

JDS1117
JDS1117 Posts: 6
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
I have returned to cycling following a decade+ long lay off and note that almost all manufacturers have removed their largest frames from their catalogues. Is this because of the tendency to more compact frames and if so, does this mean that a 60cm frame equates to something nearer 62cm from a decade or so ago?

I am 6'5" (1.95M) tall and my present bike is built around a 15 year old custom built steel frame with a 64cm (C-T) seat tube and 62cm top tube although I have previously ridden "off the peg" 62/63cm frames.

Many thanks in anticipation

Dave
Dave

Comments

• They're all measured differently nowadays, some having extended seat tubes. You cannot compare modern bike frames with your custom built steel frame. You'll need to try out different makes /models and top tube measurement is as important as seat tube height.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    for a road bike 62-63 sounds right for your height, a little less for a compact, but leg/arm length is a factor too

i'm 6'2" and take a 59-60 road frame, but just got a custom frame as on toptube alone an off the shelf never fits so well - seatpost too short, bars in the wrong place - so i always ended up having to swap bits to make a new bike fit, with the custom frame it's *right*

depends on what you are after, and budget, but i reckon going custom is worth a look
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I am 6' - 4" and have recently bought a 63 Cannondale which is the best fitting bike I have ever owned
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1
  • Thanks all, particularly "twoodley". :)

A 63cm Cannondale Six Carbon is one of the bikes I am considering, along with something in titanium but a custom build adds another £300+ to the price which means seriously downgrading some of the kit.

Thanks again
    Dave
  • Another thought twoodley; what type of riding do you use your Six Carbon for?

My present steed is an all out racer but what with the advancing years and diminishing flexibility I'm finding it a little too extreme. My plan is to build up my fitness this winter with a view to riding one or two sportives next summer.

I know Cannondale do the Synapse specifically aimed at sportive riding but guess what? The Synapse only goes up to 61cm. :roll:
    Dave
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    JDS1117 wrote:
    I have returned to cycling following a decade+ long lay off and note that almost all manufacturers have removed their largest frames from their catalogues. Is this because of the tendency to more compact frames and if so, does this mean that a 60cm frame equates to something nearer 62cm from a decade or so ago?

I am 6'5" (1.95M) tall and my present bike is built around a 15 year old custom built steel frame with a 64cm (C-T) seat tube and 62cm top tube although I have previously ridden "off the peg" 62/63cm frames.

Dave

Measure the headtube including the headset cups then compare with the headtube measurements for bike sizes with the same (62cm) VTT that you have on the old bike

Most bikes now have integrated headsets so have the cups "built in"
  • Thanks vorsprung. All good stuff.
    Dave
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Oh yeah I just remembered the other day when I was looking at the Rose catalogue, that they have a range of race bikes for tall people

http://roseversand.com/bikes/bikes/raci ... ail2=30520

Rose are German. You might like to look at Dutch bike shops too, as the Dutch are the tallest people in the world ISTR
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    :-) Perfect size

1398873.jpg
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • JDS1117 wrote:
    Another thought twoodley; what type of riding do you use your Six Carbon for?

My present steed is an all out racer but what with the advancing years and diminishing flexibility I'm finding it a little too extreme. My plan is to build up my fitness this winter with a view to riding one or two sportives next summer.

I know Cannondale do the Synapse specifically aimed at sportive riding but guess what? The Synapse only goes up to 61cm. :roll:

I am currently using the bike for staminar building and weight loss, but next year want to do some long organised rides.
    I am not finding it too uncomfortable, as long as I lift out of the saddle over potholes and some speed restrictors, and like you I have diminishing flexibility being 55 years old.
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1
  • Simmo72
    Simmo72 Posts: 262
    JDS1117 wrote:

Dave

I'm the same height and had the same dilema. In the end I went for a specialized secteur as I really wanted a taller head tube to make it more comfortable after an 18 year lay off.
    The problem with going into a lbs is they rarely stock the big sizes so test riding one is a bit of a challenge, even the larger stores. Evans were prepared to get one in but I had to pay a non refundable deposit. in the end I just gambled it as the specialized chart stated a 61cm (xxl) was for riders up to 6ft 6. I made the right choice, The compact design shows up a lot of seat post but it provides a good handlebar height (and its got plenty of spacers and 4 stem positions to play with).

I almost went for a giant defy as although the largest frame is listed as 58 apparently it easily fits someone of our height.

Wibble's own Virenti brand also appear to be very good for tall riders. The largest size looks ideal for someone of your height and the price/spec is very good. I've got a carbon specialized roubaix or virenti carbon on my 2012 xmas list already.
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    Worth also checking out Ridley - their XL frame is really quite large and they make nice bikes.