road bike gearing v hybrid

markbsac
markbsac Posts: 89
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
gear ratio hybrid v mtb v road bike

is it fitness or is the gearing different on a raod bike i have a hybrid 24 speed a guy on a boardman road bike 18 speed went past me as if i was not there and his peddleing was no faster than mine......thinking of getting a road bike for speed and distance

Comments

• father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Roadie gearing is much higher than mtb and hybrids but that's not why roadies are faster. They have far less rolling resistance and friction that hybrids and mtb. You wouldn't think so since virtually identical, both have two tyres. But it is amazing. When I rode with my mate on a Giant X-Speed I was pedalling at slow cruising speed, mate was pedalling hard constantly. And during descents he was still pedalling, I was freewheeling and even breaking to slow down otherwise smack his rear wheel.

I overtook a full suspension mtb at warp speed lol he looked like he was at a standstill.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • same as me yesterday i was peddleing at some pace this guy on a boardman road cruised past me with what looked like no effort at all....at that point i thought i need a road bike...lol
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Roadie gearing is much higher than mtb and hybrids

Not strictly true, my hybrid has a top gear of 48-11 (8.8in) my roadie has 50-12 (8.4in), so my hybrid is higher geared!!!!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Yeah, but that's cos you've got a girly compact on your road bike :wink:

If someone is riding faster than you but pedalling at the same rate (and assuming the road is not downhill) then they are either in a higher gear or have bigger wheels (or they have put in a big burst before catching you and are relying on momentum!).

The better aerodynamics of the road bike allow them to ride a higher gear at less effort than on a more upright bike.
  • And during descents he was still pedalling, I was freewheeling and even breaking to slow down otherwise smack his rear wheel.

Or...you are just a lot heavier than him. :wink::wink:
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc