XT rear mech

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I want to replace my SLX rear mech on my Trance with a XT mech.
It doesn't seem to be that simple to buy one.
Do I need a Shadow or normal one and whats the difference between low normal & top normal? and which one will I need.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I want to replace my SLX rear mech on my Trance with a XT mech.
    It doesn't seem to be that simple to buy one.
    Do I need a Shadow or normal one and whats the difference between low normal & top normal? and which one will I need.

Top normal - mech moves to small cog (highest gear) when tension is released. This is the most common type.

Low normal (rapid rise) - mech moves to large cog (lowest gear) when tension is released. Works but shifting is reversed, ie push to get high gears, release to get low gears.

Shadow - has a link that allows it to sit tucked into the chainstays, sticks out less, less likely to get graunched when you stack it. Bit harder to get indexed properly IMHO but that might just be me.

SLX and XT come in Shadow and standard versions. All will work (making sure you have the right cage size - probably long cage.)

Chances are you need top normal long cage - that's about 90% of MTB market. Frankly if your SLX is working is working fine, I would leave it, not a great deal in it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools