Myrtle Road Sheffield - Hill Repeats

Retroman10
Retroman10 Posts: 30
Anyone one from Sheffield know the hill I'm referring to? Its just off Queen's Road near the halfords.

Its about half a mile long but no idea of the gradient so if anyone knows that would be interesting.

Basically I live very close to it and just wondered if anyone would have thought it would be good to do hill repeats on for improving strength and weight loss.

THE HILL Street View it if needed.

Cheers.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    They'll be pretty short intervals. You'd be better with something like Carter Knowle Road.
    More problems but still living....
  • Ooo. I know where that is. The route I've being riding is down abbeydale road towards baslow.

The slight inclines out from totley rise to the otherside of totley kill me though.

I'm making about 6 miles to there and then 6 miles back. :(
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you're fairly new to cycling then you'd probably be better just to ride. Hill repeats aren't really fun.

If you want a nice long climb for hill practice then ride up Carter Knowle Road then take a left at the top. Then turn right after around 100metres onto Knowle Road and keep going up Ringinglow Road until you get to the top of the hill. Its around 300m ascent in 7km with only a couple of short sections where it levels out. If you drop down into Hathersage you can then ride back up the Fiddlers Elbow - about 250metres ascent in 4km. That'll do your general fitness more good than short hill repeats IMO.

You might find it a bit tough at first though :wink:
    More problems but still living....
  • Yeah. I'll give it ago instead of riding all the way out to Totley. Granted it will probably push me but I'm sure it'll be good.

Its kinda weird though that although I'll be puffing and panting I don't feel its my fitness that lets me down I just don't seem to have anything left in my legs.

Dragging 16stone up a hill ain't fun :D
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Retroman10 wrote:
    Anyone one from Sheffield know the hill I'm referring to? Its just off Queen's Road near the halfords.

Its about half a mile long but no idea of the gradient so if anyone knows that would be interesting.

Basically I live very close to it and just wondered if anyone would have thought it would be good to do hill repeats on for improving strength and weight loss.

THE HILL Street View it if needed.

Cheers.

Cant think of a worse way to spend time on a bike TBH than riding repeatedly up and down Myrtle Road. :(

The only good aspect would be the view of the mighty Sheff Utd on the Lane on your way back down. :)

As others have said, just go for a ride out into Peak District and enjoy the bike. Unless you are racing, why bother with hill repeats, they are 'orrible if done correctly.
  • stagger
    stagger Posts: 116
    +1 you are spoilt for choice with the peak on your doorstep- you'll have much more fun (and good training) doing one of the 'usual' loops out of sheffield eg out on ringinglow, hope valley edale mam nick castleton fox house etc etc

hathersage to fidlers elbow and edale to mam nick are both great for hill repeats - if you try and incorporate a few repeats of mam nick into your loop you'll soon get fit.......!