Open to any (all) suggestions for 1 to 3 weeks in April

KevinSherm
KevinSherm Posts: 18
edited October 2010 in Tour & expedition
This is about as open-ended as they come, but I'm literally just looking for any suggestions I could get to help me get started thinking.

After 2.5 years in the UK I'm heading back to the States next spring, and before I leave would love to get some time in touring on my bike for one last good memory before leaving. For simplicity I'm thinking it'd probably be somewhere in Europe, but again, I'm open to suggestions.

My preferences/requirements/etc.:

- My time frame is currently open-ended. I'd like to do something at least a week, but if it's the right trip would consider 2 or 3 weeks
- I'd rather do a supported tour (but not a 'luxury' supported tour...just someone to carry my bags), but would definitely be open to unsupported.
- Looking for good scenery, good riding, good food, unique places
- I probably won't have a lot of time to plan, so ideally it'd be a place that's well suited for spontaneous plans
- Again, would prefer Europe but would consider some place else if it were the right opportunity

I think that's about it for now. I know this is about as open-ended as they come, but any and all thoughts are appreciated. I've toured in the States but never in Europe and would hate to head back without having done so.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can give. I'll add more stipulations if I come up with them.

Comments

• Iceland :)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    g/f and I did a supported tour in Tuscany last year - flew Bristol to Pisa. Great cities and towns, countryside, food and wine. Included hotels and bags were there every night. Used "Hooked on Cycling" - they have tours all over. Cost about £700 each plus easyjet flights.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    If it has to be April then I'd highly recommend Andalusia.

For supported touring you might want to check out:

http://www.cyclingcountry.com/

who are based in Alhama de Granada.

You might also want to consider:

http://www.vamoscycling.com/

although they do more day rides based at their house in Cadíar.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Morocco.
    More problems but still living....
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    The problem with supported tours is that they are popluar..so you have to book early.CTC offer the more traditionall tour but you just cant get on many of them cos they sell out quick..Other comnpanies are Skedaddle ,Red Spokes Hooked on Cycling,Explore, Exodus .Interneries can be too easy for some and with some you get bike hire and a guide which you may not want...I enjoyed Interlaken,Lauterbrunnen,Zermatt and Lucerne in snowed up Switzerland one early April..Cycling only at low level.

One place I really liked in April was Holland and the Dutch Buldfields..You can Base yourself in Norwijk or Katwijk near Lisse and Keukenhof Garden area on the coast.and hire bikes locally(StayingAmsterdam+ taking the bike on the train anywhere in the country is Possible,but its about an hours train ride away each way to the bulbfields).Orange day in Amsterdam on the Queens Birthday is at the end of April with hop on and off partiy boats.There are barge + bulbfield bikeride combos if to want something organised.
    jc
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Spain in April is good. You really dont need to worry about accommodation before Easter, there are Pensions everywhere and they all have spare rooms. Northern Spain may still be a bit rainy. Andalucia is a good bet. You can travel on trains with a bike.
    You can travel pretty lightweight when hotelling so you really dont need any support. Just take a budget flight. You could leave from a different airport rather than do a circular tour.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    MichaelW wrote:
    Spain in April is good. .... Andalucia is a good bet. You can travel on trains with a bike.

Yes and no. You can travel on regional trains but not long-distance trains (even if you put your bike in a bag).
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    The good thing for about Spain in April and Easter would be the wonderful events like Semana Santa in Seville and The Feria de Abrill 2 weeks later ..which you could link to a tour....As someone who loves Photography + cycling together fancy that one myself
    jc
  • Garrigou
    Garrigou Posts: 145
    If you're happy to risk (potenetially) less favourbale weather conditions, then a week in Belgium/Holland to ride sections of the Ardennes Classics & spectate at the races can be a cracking trip. Then, if it's where you want to head next, a TGV can probably have you on the Spanish border by early-afternoon on the Monday after Liege-Bastogne-Liege.
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.