Stumpjumper Headset - I must be doing something wrong?

shaunlfc1
shaunlfc1 Posts: 132
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I've stripped down my headset replaced the bearings, but I cannot seem to to get rid of the play without having very stiff steering and as soon as I ride 10 yds the steering becomes a tad looser but the play is back in abundance.

Its a 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp with a crane creek headset and the following lifted straight from the spec sheet:

Campy style cartridge bearings for integrated alloy HT

There is not alot to these headsets, and I reckon I've got the order wrong when I rebuilt it and reckon the very thin steel shim is in the wrong place.

Can anyone confirm exactly what order the headset should go back together, I've defnitely preloaded the bearings correctly, by having the stem bolts undone, but something is in the wrong place.

Your help would be very welcomed.

Many thanks,

Shaun

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    How did you strip down the bearings if they are cartridge? Also, as a rule, cartridges dont stiffen up like cup and bearings do. I have an 09 Stumpy with probably the same headset (no longer on said bike, but on a shelf). I will post you a photo of the assembly order later.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    benpinnick wrote:
    How did you strip down the bearings if they are cartridge?

He didn't say he stripped down the bearings.... :?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pics. bearing numbers. new and old.

what else have you changed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Neily03 wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:
    How did you strip down the bearings if they are cartridge?

He didn't say he stripped down the bearings.... :?

A good point, well made.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • shaunlfc1
    shaunlfc1 Posts: 132
    Thanks all for the info, the crane creek data sheet is very very good, I've yet to have time to take it all apart again and start from scratch.

The new bearings I sourced straight from Spesh and are the right ones. So no problems there. Thing is from looking at the crane creek assembly drawing I now think its installed correctly and reckon there is something wrong with the star nut, so will check it out when I try to solve the issue.

Any pictures would be great so please post away.

Thanks again,

Shaun
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the star nut if only there to preload the bearings.

the stem holds it together. you can remove the top cap if you wished and run the forks like that.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you got the top centring piece installed, what you describe is exactly the situation my daughter had on her Scott, turned out the previous owner had left it out.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.