winter commuting - mtb

mcowan77
mcowan77 Posts: 560
edited October 2010 in Commuting general
hi folks

been communting all summer in my shiny new road bike....time to lock it up for the winter i think!!!

i have a kona lanai mtb that i intend using for the winter. (10 miles each way commute)

what can i do to make it a better commute...it already has slicks on, although they are 26 x 1.95...should i change these to something slicker???.... and any other suggestions much appreciated

cheers :D

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Decent light slicks, also maybe check your wheel weights, a lot of MTB wheels are very heavy and if its rim braked then you can get lighter wheels quite cheap off ebay, after that its a lot of cost to start lightening every bit, although if you are inclined a decent pair of lightweight rigid forks are much nicer on road than heavy suspension ones.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Clipless pedals, unless you already have them. I found these much better to flats.

Check the state of your brake pads, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Mud guards are a good idea. MTB's seem to throw up more cr@p from the road.

I assume it's to do with the tyre width.

Some form of pucture protection is also a good idea but MTB tyres are less prone to cuts and damage in my experience.

I also ride with higher pressures on tarmac - 60-65psi on road 40psi on the rough stuff.

Bob