Cav v Cipo

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,176
edited October 2010 in Pro race
I saw a quote today from Super Mario about whether he would beat Cavendish.
"Every racer thinks he will win and when you don't you always have an excuse - a team-mate didn't work hard enough or you weren't feeling great - but I'd beat Cavendish."

True or not? Doesn't matter. But that's the sprinter's mentality in a nutshell.
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Cipo would be even I think..look at the way Pettachi ageing can beat Cav some days for an indirect comparison of eras. I think Abdu would have caused Cav to snap
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,428
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Cipo would be even I think..look at the way Pettachi ageing can beat Cav some days for an indirect comparison of eras. I think Abdu would have caused Cav to snap

Imagine the three of them in one race..... :shock:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Would be an interesting comparison. Can someone explain Cipo's style of winning - launch a long one, acceleration, high pace, lead-out to 200m etc?

n720530329_581611_9717.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I would describe him as the man who popularised the lead out train....which would get up to stratospheric speed about 200m from the line and then launch him. If it worked nobody could beat him, if it didn't work he would sit up, light a cigarette and work on his tan...:wink:

Legend.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    win or lose Cipo would look better on the bike
  • Cipo, another Dr. Ferrari patient: http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/1093888
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Cipo, another Dr. Ferrari patient: http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/1093888

Which sort of makes this whole conversation irrelevant.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I think that buying a Cipo bike for £12k, which includes a ride with him and "great food and great wine" sounds like an incredible deal myself - If I had the money, I'd rather do that than say buy Wiggo's bike used in one TOB for £12k...
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    mroli wrote:
    I think that buying a Cipo bike for £12k, which includes a ride with him and "great food and great wine" sounds like an incredible deal myself - If I had the money, I'd rather do that than say buy Wiggo's bike used in one TOB for £12k...

Where did you see that advertised ? Was in his site earlier it covers the bikes but never saw that mentioned.

Do you get to go on the pull with the great man too , now that would be something to write home about
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,154
    Would be an interesting comparison. Can someone explain Cipo's style of winning - launch a long one, acceleration, high pace, lead-out to 200m etc?

Cipo was a power sprinter who usually needed a good leadout to win. He had a team built around him which was full of strong rouleurs, like Eros Poli, Mario Scirea and Marco Velo, who could set a high pace for the final ten kms of a stage then drop him off 2-300 metres out and he'd use his power to hold off his rivals.

It's hard to compare, but I think Cavendish has more of a jump than Cipo ever did but Cipo could probably hold top speed for longer than Cavendish.
  • agree with that, cipo would find it harder to work without a leadout train as he doesn't have the pure accelaration.

I can also testify having seen him at the bike show on Thursday that he has an incredibly pert bottom. Worth a few wins I reckon
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    I'd point out that my original post wasn't about which of the two was better. I think it's stupid to compare.

My point was the actual quote. Many dislike the sprinters and point to their excuse making. The quote shows how they think, even in retirement,
    Twitter: @RichN95