30-42-52 crank set 9 cassette will I need more than 1 chain

gtd.
gtd. Posts: 626
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
on my commuter bike I never use my 22 tooth granny ring, I usually ride the 42 tooth outer more than the 32 tooth middle so I saw a 30-42-52 on ebay and thought Id give it a go

ordering a Sram pc951 chain for it. will one chain do or will I need one and a bit?
Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no idea. it depends on things like chainstay length and cassette.

but you may have a range more than your mech can cover so you may not be using all the gears anyway.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, I am not sure your front mech will cope with that, and the chainrings may foul the stays.
  • gtd.
    didnt think of those problems :oops:... hopefully it will clear the chain stay and the mech will clear it when I move it up the seatpost

was just thinking higher gearing... faster :lol:
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    1 chain will do but..

.. the rings may not clear the chainstay (as said)

.. the (mtb) front mech won't shift well with the bigger rings (assuming you run a MTB FD)

.. you can't use a road triple front mech with MTB shifters, as the cable pull is different

You could perhaps fit a compact c/set, which would be easier to set up, or just learn to run a higher cadence
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    but you could use a flatbar road shifter.

or just use a MTB shifter but it is a pain to set up right.

if the commuter bike is Road based you may have some luck but as we dont know what it is we can only guess it is MTB based.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    I run a double front (42/28) and 12 - 32 at the back with a long cage RD.

I removed 2 links from my new PC-991 chain and it's just perfect (i.e. when in 28 x 12 the RD gets sprung slightly forward).
  • gtd.
    Fitted the crankset... just needed to mount the mech further up, shorten the new chain and fit new gear cables, old ones were knackered.

Shifts fine and much faster than when it was a 7 speed freewheel and 28/38/48 crankset :oops: :D
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    So it is an MTB then, and you've successfully fitted a road triple chainset and BB ?
  • gtd.
    Its a 2003 Giant Terrago FS1 hardtail mtb frame, it already had a Shimano UN26? iirc square taper bottom bracket and a basic deore seat tube mounted mech. fitted cranks and chainrings and its working fine, the mech is sticky returning but was like that before think it might have some grit in the pivot or something
  • gtd.
    worked out why I've always had problems shifting up to and down from the big chain ring...

I had fitted the cable clamp the wrong way and it was catching on one of the cage pivots :oops:

That and it the pivots were all full of gunk :(

Cleaned it and oiled all the pivots and it shifts effortlessly :D