Who really thinks any sport is clean?

Brian B
Brian B Posts: 2,071
edited October 2010 in Pro race
Due to the amount people on doping threads expressing their dismay, outrage and even disbelieve that 2010 proved to be another year with more drug scandals it got me thinking that surely nobody is really that gullible and it all must be a joke.

Surely nobody really thinks that ANY sport is clean and all sports will always tainted with drug use if its going to get athletes wins or a place on a team. For team players Its a bit like the athletic equivalent of tarting up your CV to get noticed and for winners its a MUST to ensure that your are a match for you oppenent who is also probably doped.

Doping WONT stop - its here to stay forever.

Cyling admittedly is doing a lot to get the sport clean and inclusion of testing, biological passports etc and it is light years ahead compared to other sports but is not making any difference as there will always be people willing to take the risks.

Average rider dopes - runs the risk of getting caught and banned

Average rider does not dope - will probably not make a career at all.

Do the maths for yourselves. If any people are still under any illusions then its reality transplant that they need.
Brian B.

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I think table tennis is clean
  • i think they need to make the penalty tougher,you could dope and transform your lifestyle but may get caught and have to take two years out, or continue being an average joe. i think if it was 5 years out or ten or even better complete ban it would make them think alot more first. But as you said you will always get some people willing to push the boundaries
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Pokerface wrote:
    I think table tennis is clean

The tables or the players? As the OP has stated, I equally agree that in all sports there is an element of substance misuse.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    A friend of mine won 200 caps for hockey. Played at the Olympics, World Cups, got a medal at the Commonwealths.

His idea of 'performance enhancing' was laying off the fags and booze for a few weeks.

There have been a couple of doping cases (more stupidity than maliciousness), but I'd be surprised if anyone was on a program of any sort.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    A friend of mine won 200 caps for hockey. Played at the Olympics, World Cups, got a medal at the Commonwealths.

His idea of 'performance enhancing' was laying off the fags and booze for a few weeks.

There have been a couple of doping cases (more stupidity than maliciousness), but I'd be surprised if anyone was on a program of any sort.

+1

I think it's unreasonable to expect other sports to be as dirty as cycling because cycling is extremely physical. We talk of "talent" not of "skill". Says it all really.

A degree of doping in many sports? Yes.

I have a hard time believing that golfers dope though.
    I climb faster then you.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Nope cant see too many being clean.....and those that are will generally be full of cheating or 'pushing the boundaries' like F1 etc

Endurance sports such as cycling, triathlon etc are the obvious 'doped' sports, but I cant imagine too many pro rugby players, american footballers etc are competing clean!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

I have a hard time believing that golfers dope though.

Gary Player disagrees

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/art ... 15,00.html
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    There's 2 kinds of doping as I see it:

Endurance doping
    Strength doping

Cycling on the road is prone to endurance doping due to the stresses it puts on the body over a 1 week or 3 week event. It's why they say the Tour is the hardest race in the world to win. Probably not so much for the one day stuff.

A lot of other sports will be more prone to strength doping.

Table tennis does not particularly rely on either of these things.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Pokerface wrote:

The players are just as skanky as Bertie though

http://www.tischtennis.de/aktuelles/meldung/11064
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    Pokerface wrote:

Endurance doping
    Strength doping

Cycling on the road is prone to endurance doping due to the stresses it puts on the body over a 1 week or 3 week event. It's why they say the Tour is the hardest race in the world to win. Probably not so much for the one day stuff.

Table tennis though like many skill based sports requires very quick reaction times and alertness which can be aided by stimulant use. I have no idea how much of this goes on but I just can't see it not happening at all considering it goes on in similar skill based sports.

Motocross riders aren't unknown to touch the caffeine / ephedrine and possibly ritalin mix before competitions and some competitors in other motor sports probably do similar too.

Take a reaction time test with no stimulants affecting you then hit a strong can or two of red bull or a good coffee and repeat to see if there is a difference.

Murr X
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,228
    edited October 2010
    if it is here to stay someone in the sport have the balls to make a case for it transparently

or some workable regime... as soon as your there it all points to a across the board ban as anything else is still prone to cheating on levels etc.

back to square 1

not going to go away... if bike radar shut up about doping the rest of the press/media isn't going to "say fair enough".... that's more naive than thinking they[cycling] are going to clean up by next year!

as fans where do we position our voice?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,228
    Murr X wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Endurance doping
    Strength doping

Table tennis though like many skill based sports requires very quick reaction times and alertness which can be aided by stimulant use. I have no idea how much of this goes on but I just can't see it not happening at all considering it goes on in similar skill based sports.

Motocross riders aren't unknown to touch the caffeine / ephedrine and possibly ritalin mix before competitions and some competitors in other motor sports probably do similar too.

Take a reaction time test with no stimulants affecting you then hit a strong can or two of red bull or a good coffee and repeat to see if there is a difference.

Murr X

+1

there are ranges of psychologically calming and mindset drugs

beta blockers in snooker!

they are doping in snooker for Xhrists sake!
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Tom BB wrote:
    Nope cant see too many being clean.....and those that are will generally be full of cheating or 'pushing the boundaries' like F1 etc

There's almost no testing at all in F1. The FIA claims there's nothing that would be beneficial, but that's a total nonsense. F1 is primaliy skill based but endurance does play a significant part over a race distance.