Which one to sell?!

2old4thissheet!
2old4thissheet! Posts: 5
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
Hi All,

Finally got around to joining the forum!

Essentially I'm in the horns of a dilemma. I own (amongst others :) ) the following two bikes:

1. Bianchi Team Liquigas 2005 TDF replica with Campag Veloce grpset and Vento wheels (54cm)
2. Giant FCR (flat bar road bike) Alliance 2009 model (M)

I enjoy both bikes, mainly using the Giant for my 20 mile daily commute. Come January I will be moving with work to the North (Leeds) and will not be able to cycle in to the office.

I can't keep both bikes (sadly) and so one will need to go but I can't decide which.

I've never felt completely comfortable on the Bianchi, as despite numerous attempts at reducing the stem (now on an 80mm) it has always felt a bit long (I'm 5'9" with 32 inside leg). It's also heavier than the Giant. But, it is (or at least feels) faster than the Giant and as I'll now be restricted to long weekend runs I prefer the appeal of a 'proper' road bike.

The Giant on the other hand is amazing to ride, very comfy, and I suppose if I stuck drop bars on it it may become a decent road bike. The Giant is running Shimano 105.

If I sold the Giant I have a ready made road bike in the Bianchi... if I sell the Bianchi then I would have the cost of converting the steering and brake levers etc but I would have a comfier bike.

I could just go for broke and get rid of both and buy something very nice and shiny in the sales this year :)

Any advice in terms of which one to sell, and indeed what the best medium (bar Ebay) would be best to sell through, and what I would be looking at in terms of pricing for the bikes when selling (they are both in immaculate condition, I'm fussy that way!) would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

JC

Comments

• Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I'd go for your third option - sell 'em both and get something new.

It seems that keeping either one would be a compromise, so a carefully chosen new bike could satisfy your needs (with the added bonus of being a new toy!).

No idea on values, but try the for-sale section on here rather than ebay.
  • Thanks Monkeypump, now that's the type of logic I'm happy to follow

:D

If I did sell both I'd need to find a manufacturer who builds frames with a slightly shorter top tube then but that would be a different question for here.

I'll get some decent pics taken and then offer them up to the site to see if there are any takers. The Giant would make someone an excellent fast commuter/training bike and the Bianchi is... well... it's a Bianchi innit... everyone should own one at least one :)

JC
  • awallace
    awallace Posts: 191
    +1 for selling on here. I have just sold an MTB frame and got a great response.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I'd agree. You've got one bike that doesn't suit your needs and another that doesn't fit. I've only sold bikes on eBay before and recouped a minimum of 50% of purchase price both times. One of those was a fast flat barred commuter. They seem to be in high demand
  • Interesting, thanks for the responses. Is 50% the benchmark then?

The Bianchi was £1500 and the Giant was £950. That would be £750 and £475 respectively. That sounds reasonable to me but then it would I suppose... a buyer would have other ideas no doubt! :lol:

Both are in really good nick, I'd say the Bianchi has less than 1200 miles on it (having been stored for a total of two years over the last 4).

I'll get some pics online and get an ad posted. I'm actually quite excited about finding a new bike now! :D

If anyone has any suggestions for manufacturers that I should look at in terms of making bikes with top tubes suitable for people with roughly 33" arms then I'd be grateful for the info (as mentioned above the Giant Compact frame seems a good fit).

JC
  • Bump
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    There is a healthy demand for Bianchis on eBay but for £750 most people are looking at a possible carbon frame purchase. There are many good alloy/carbon bikes that struggle to make that sort of money due to the quest for carbon!

Good luck
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Interesting, thanks for the responses. Is 50% the benchmark then?

The Bianchi was £1500 and the Giant was £950. That would be £750 and £475 respectively. That sounds reasonable to me but then it would I suppose... a buyer would have other ideas no doubt! :lol:

Both are in really good nick, I'd say the Bianchi has less than 1200 miles on it (having been stored for a total of two years over the last 4).

I'll get some pics online and get an ad posted. I'm actually quite excited about finding a new bike now! :D

If anyone has any suggestions for manufacturers that I should look at in terms of making bikes with top tubes suitable for people with roughly 33" arms then I'd be grateful for the info (as mentioned above the Giant Compact frame seems a good fit).

JC

Why not get a bike made to measure? Depends on your budget but you can get carbon and titanium frames made to measure and obviously nice steel frames from UK builders. A lot of the Enigma range is available m-t-m
    http://www.enigmabikes.com/
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!