Overshoes

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited October 2010 in Commuting general
A bit predictable after last night's drenching, but need new a pair of overshoes. Was looking at these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=48494

Anyone got any?

They need to be good for the rain and the snow/sleet/slush we had last winter as my feet were like blocks of ice at times last year. Was thinking about specific winter shoes as another option.

Cheers
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I don't think much would have kept last night out of your shoes, but having tried a few I've settled on BBB ultraflex ones. They ain't pretty, but the do the job better that anything else I've tried.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'm wondering about this - my toes suffer from duff circulation. Heard good things about the BBB but all I can personally recommend is not to touch the Endura MTB 500s with a barge pole.

I have been wearing Craft toe cosys! These just go as far up your foot as the back of the cleats. Obviously not enough for proper winter but the thing is they are wearing quite well and all they are is neoprene. So I can't help thinking that something all neoprene might be better than these supposed more sticky soles that eg the Sidis have. Not as though you aren't skidding around on the cleats anyway. Keep it simple might be the answer.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Rolf F wrote:
    I'm wondering about this - my toes suffer from duff circulation. Heard good things about the BBB but all I can personally recommend is not to touch the Endura MTB 500s with a barge pole.

+1 for that, mine lasted about 3 weeks, being used about 3 times in that period before I threw them back at Evans.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I have some Pearl Izumi overshoes (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/-_-/5360038026/)

And I have to say they're not great. Granted, I wear MTB style shoes so there are nobbly bits on the bottom that make putting them on difficult, but they close up at the rear using a velcro mechanism thats pretty ineffective, so it doesn't feel like a good fit. They keep your feet warm though.
  • I've tried numerous overshoes in the past, none really work or last. Thinking that winter shoes are the only way to go.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I have Shimano MW80 winter shoes and learnt last night that they are not as waterproof as they claim, although excellent at retaining water. May try and combine them with my overshoes.
  • I've tried numerous overshoes in the past, none really work or last. Thinking that winter shoes are the only way to go.

This is a very good point. Sidi make some lovely ones... They need to be paired with decent merino socks so that when the water does eventually get in (the leg hole is always going to be the achillies heel of any shoe :wink: ) your feet stay warm despite getting a touch damp. Then all you need to watch for is trench foot!
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    It sounds like nothing really works, lets just stay inside :wink:
  • cjcp
    My Enduras also lasted me a few weeks, so won't be going near those again.

Will have a look at some winter shoes.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    JZed wrote:
    I have Shimano MW80 winter shoes and learnt last night that they are not as waterproof as they claim, although excellent at retaining water. May try and combine them with my overshoes.

Scratching those off my list then! The Northwave's look a good bet.
  • notsoblue
    JZed wrote:

Thats disappointing. The Bike Radar review:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... hoes-33646
    Based around their resin performance sole is a GoreTex insulated upper with a PU-coated waterproof booty. The shoe is as waterproof as a canoe. With seam sealed construction, the added ‘splash deck’ neoprene collar stops any ingress of cold and wet from above.

Was it just the water coming in from above that caused the water to get in?
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    sorry for the highjack, but if overshoes are a waste of time, then can anyone recommend some waterproof socks ? or are these a waste of time as well ?
  • notsoblue
    DCR00 wrote:
    sorry for the highjack, but if overshoes are a waste of time, then can anyone recommend some waterproof socks ? or are these a waste of time as well ?

I've got some sealskinz socks and they don't appear to keep my feet dry, but they do keep them warm when they're wet.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Again:

IT'S THE LEG HOLE

water runs down your leg and then in... it is somewhat necessitated by your feet. However with a rubber ankle collar on both socks and shoes you should stay reasonably dry.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    Indeed. Trouble is, for a rubber ankle collar to be waterproof it needs to be a very tight fit, so you'd either not be able to get your foot in, or it would cut off the blood supply. The only way around that is something else waterproof lapping over the top of the over shoe. Either waterproof trousers (a bit flappy for us roadie types), or waterproof winter tights, like the Endura Stealth Lite tights, but these will be quite cozy at this time of year.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    notsoblue wrote:
    JZed wrote:

Thats disappointing. The Bike Radar review:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... hoes-33646
    Based around their resin performance sole is a GoreTex insulated upper with a PU-coated waterproof booty. The shoe is as waterproof as a canoe. With seam sealed construction, the added ‘splash deck’ neoprene collar stops any ingress of cold and wet from above.

Was it just the water coming in from above that caused the water to get in?

Don't think its coming down the leg as top of my socks were dry. The tongue of the shoe is on the outside and isn't webbed so water can get in.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    rjsterry wrote:
    Indeed. Trouble is, for a rubber ankle collar to be waterproof it needs to be a very tight fit, so you'd either not be able to get your foot in, or it would cut off the blood supply. The only way around that is something else waterproof lapping over the top of the over shoe. Either waterproof trousers (a bit flappy for us roadie types), or waterproof winter tights, like the Endura Stealth Lite tights, but these will be quite cozy at this time of year.

Was seeing whether I could get a dry suit latex seal to do this but I can't find any that will fit halfway up my leg! The reflective straps (secured by velcro) that I'm currently using seem to be doing a reasonable job of keeping the water out though
  • clu
    clu Posts: 89
    I've found nothing will truly keep your feet dry during wet conditions. As has been mentioned already BBB make some good overshoes, I've been using a pair made by them for 2 years now and I'm very happy with them. Your feet will still get a little damp, but they work reasonably well.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=45050

Also I've noticed since I've had mudguards on my road bike, my feet now get less wet. The front wheel doesn't spray as much water on to my feet now as was the case before I had them on the bike. I've had them on my bike now for over 6 months and I'm extremely pleased with them.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54934
    2004 Trek 5500 OCLV
    2014 Cervelo R3 Black/Blue
    2018 Cervelo R3 Disc Navy/Red
    2018 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Grey
    2020 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Matte Navy
  • Us cyclists often wear cycling shoes full of holes for ventilation, then when it rains we put on overshoes to block up the holes. Crazy really. Logic states that you should go for a shoe that repels water and is breathable. The only material that does this is Leather. The only leather cycling shoe, is the Exustar ( there are some others). So when it rains forget fancy racing shoes, leave them for fine days. I have also tried loads of overshoes, and none of them are waterproof, no matter what the manufacturers say and the reviews in cycling magazines. The best ones, but they look a bit naff, are Eager overshoes. They have velcro fastenings too, much easier and quicker to get on and they fold up smaller. Also, zips always break or get clogged up. Always block up cleat holes with bathroom sealant, otherwise water will pour in up through the soles. And get Mudguards with a good wide flap on the front to deflect water sideways. If none of this works, then plastic bags are the only answer. Water always gets in eventually, but you can prolong it. The above system works for about an hour, definitely enough for a commute, but longer rides with incessant rain, and feet always get wet.

Armitage Shanks
  • cjcp
    Just been reminded over in the more serious section of Commuting of the PX overshoes. Think I'll buy some more of those and some warmer socks.

EDIT: On those nights when we have a deluge (like Wednesday or tonight) has anyone put polythene bags under their overshoes, but over their shoes?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry wrote:

Not tried it yet but someone on here suggested cutting the top off a pair of black rubber gloves to give you a tight seal between leg and top of overshoe. Sound a great idea.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    cjcp wrote:
    Just been reminded over in the more serious section of Commuting of the PX overshoes. ?
    Isn't this meant to be the more serious section?
    Commuting General
    Here is the place to post the more serious issues surrounding commuting, bike and kit questions, and buying advice
    and
    Commuting Chat
    Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
    :twisted:
    Steve C
  • cjcp
    :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    Eager Overshoes for when it's raining.

Roll them up and pop them in your jersey pocket.

Then they're with you all the time.

In WINTER wear oversocks. Oversocks are for when it's cold , Eager Overshoes for when it's raining.

If your feet are still cold in winter then more layers are the answer i.e another pair of socks, then oversocks then even the Eagers if it's really chilly i.e sub zero.

Eager OverShoes are available here ...
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/eager-oversh ... -prod7044/
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    I've decided to give overshoes one last chance. I've ordered some BBB Ultra Flex Overshoes BWS08. Expensive compared to the Endura, but the under side by the toes look like it is rubber coated. I'll let you all know if they end up as naff as all the others I've tried.
    Steve C
  • Does anyone actually think overshoes are effective? I was thinking of getting some but not so convinced now...
  • fatherted
    Does anyone actually think overshoes are effective?.

Effective ?

As in they're good at stopping your shoes getting absolutely sodden on the way to work thus avoiding to the need to try and find somewhere to dry them out during the day.

Are they useful at stopping your shoes getting absolutely sodden thus avoiding the need to put them on a radiator at home to (hopefully) dry out overnight ?

Yep they're effective.

Will they keep your socks absolutely bone dry ? Nope.
  • fatherted
    cjcp wrote:
    has anyone put polythene bags under their overshoes, but over their shoes?
    You can make homemade "overshoes" by using small polythene bags and socks ( I used oversocks ).
    Put the bag over the shoe up to ankle height. Cut off any excess.
    Make cutouts for the cleats.
    Put sock over bag ( keeps the polythene in place ).
    Make cutouts for the cleats.

This keeps your shoes dry but on a long cycle your feet will get sweaty and possibly your socks will become damp as well
  • cjcp
    Cheers. Might do it for the commute.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    I picked up these on amazon for £11

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000R2DENQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d6_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1S3TSHP68PAR84XWY51T&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Granted, I'll look like a complete nonce cycling home in them, but I'll regard it as an incentive to pedal faster. Also beats sticking my shoes on top of the dehumidifier for 2 days to dry them out.