Billinge Woods Blackburn

2»

Comments

• RichardKS

If you go up to the reservoirs there's a bridle path from the big dip in the road. It goes around the res and across to Great Harwood, then follow the road to Bowley Scout Camp and there's more bridleways down to Whalley Nab, then quiet back roads back to York Village and down in to Langho or stay on the top road before dropping in to Wilpshire.
    I sometimes do this as a quick local loop from Langho, takes about an hour.
  • I know of a good loop around Ribchester :D....I'll have to re ride it as last time I was on a horse.
    Actually I know 2, one calling in at Hurst Green for a cheeky drink at the Eagle and Child.
    Caz xx
  • RichardKS

If you go up to the reservoirs there's a bridle path from the big dip in the road. It goes around the res and across to Great Harwood, then follow the road to Bowley Scout Camp and there's more bridleways down to Whalley Nab, then quiet back roads back to York Village and down in to Langho or stay on the top road before dropping in to Wilpshire.
    I sometimes do this as a quick local loop from Langho, takes about an hour.

Thanks for that. Having real grief with the new Orange at present, and refuse to ride the old Kona on principle!. The moment the new bike is sorted I'll take an exploratory pedal...

Regards.
  • I know of a good loop around Ribchester :D....I'll have to re ride it as last time I was on a horse.
    Actually I know 2, one calling in at Hurst Green for a cheeky drink at the Eagle and Child.
    Caz xx

Haven't ridden Ribchester way for a long time - will get out there again once the bike is sorted. Bit closer than Gisburn!
  • I'm a regular rider of these trails and thought I'd post a heads up for anyone planning on riding the trails in the near future.

About half way down 'Tricky Sixty' today I was greeted by a young lad trapped under a motorcross bike, if I'd have been going my usual speed I'd have hit him and no doubt caused us both a severe injury but it was wet and I had been checking my speed.

It would appear some of the young lads working at the building site across the road at the bottom of 'Tricky Sixty' have been bringing their motorbikes into the woods and ripping the trails up. There are now large gouges in the ground where they've been attempting to ride the track and it's starting to look a very sorry state in some sections. I cleared most of the larger rocks that have been dislodged from the ground and lay strewn along the trail but it looks like it's going to require some repairs soon.

I followed the lad, whom I almost ran over, across to the building site and told him and his pal that they were ruining the tracks as they're not intended for motorbikes but I fear they'll probably just continue on.

On another note the trail signs are back up, not that anyone reads them, several walkers also on the trails today as usual.....
  • Thanks for that Orangevimto...glad to know there are eyes and ears out there.
    As for repairs B.A.D are having a trail repairs there on Saturday the 9th October :D.
    It's just down to B.A.D to keep the trials in fine fettle now as the chaps who helped bring the trails into being have suffered from the cutbacks :(

Caz xx
  • Glad to know that there will be people working on repairs, I'm working on that date otherwise I'd get myself up there and help out.

I'm planning on getting up there without the bike at some point and doing my bit, have plans to work on the unofficial rock drop off the bottom of 'Tricky Sixty'. It really needs some work on the run out after the drop as it's currently a boggy mess.
  • Do you mean the drop that runs off to the right on the second part of the tricky 60?
    I mentioned that at the AGM so it might get added on (not that I'll EVER do those drops) lol
    If there's a demand for it to be included I can have a word again on Sat when I pop up.
    Caz xx
  • Yeah, that's the one. It's been there for a few years now but the run out has been hammered recently with all the recent riding activity brought on by the new trails.

There's a small bog at the bottom of the drop that needs filling in, I've been toying with the idea of trying to fill it with some of the excess material the trail builders left behind and generally clearing up the runs in and out of the drop.

If it does get incorporated into the track officially it may require extra signage as it's pretty much a blind drop if you hit it at anything more than a snails pace. It's easy enough to roll it but you have to come to an almost complete stop. It was quite a nice alternate finish to the trail whilst the big tree was down recently that blocked off the end of the official trail.
  • Ok :D
    I'll have a word on Sat and see wat could be done to it..if it's wanted and will be used, might as well see if we can do it properly :D
    Caz xx
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Dig day at Billinge Woods this saturday 9th October. Meet at 10am in Killiard Lane car park, everyone welcome.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • You gonna be there Tom?...I am, I'm on wheelbarrow duty....bringing me own lol
    Caz xx
  • Whytepeak
    You gonna be there Tom?...I am, I'm on wheelbarrow duty....bringing me own lol
    Caz xx

Yes I'll be there Caz, need to see these trails... :)
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • We'll see ya tomorrow then Tom, I've got me barrow, shovel and rake i the car already lol
    Caz xx
  • Whytepeak
    We'll see ya tomorrow then Tom, I've got me barrow, shovel and rake i the car already lol
    Caz xx

Glad someone is prepared... :) I'll just turn up as Tom then, still debating whether or not to bring a bike for a cheeky ride back via rivington, hmmm.
  • you could easily get back to Rivington from there, with not much road work too :D
    Caz xx
  • Whytepeak
    you could easily get back to Rivington from there, with not much road work too :D
    Caz xx

Chickened out didn't I :roll: Still, went out on the bike later, so no loss - the chain was rusty it had been dormant so long :oops: .
  • I went home (walked home with me wheelbarrow :lol:) and fiddled with my new bike..and rode it up the road! gnarly lol
    Caz xx
  • Rode these twice now, couple of bits of stupid vandalism to the signage which pisses me off. But its short but interesting little trail. Just hate the long hill getting to the trail.
    Good fun :D
  • Trail repairs this Sat 4th Dec 10am, going to try a new tact with regards to the signage...we will not let the swines win :D

Caz xxx