Looking for Biking Buddies on Cannock Chase

Samanthalouise
Samanthalouise Posts: 3
edited October 2010 in MTB rides
Hello Ladies and Gents, I am looking for a group of middle aged riding buddies to join in with to go over Cannock Chase and have a go at the MTB Trails over there. I have only recently come back into mountain biking after many years so not too fast and probably not too fit either :D . Can do Saturday 2nd or Sunday 3rd October or evenings the following week after 6pm. If anyone is out there who thinks they could put up with me for a few hours I would love to join in. Thanks Samantha

Comments

• I often ride alone. busy that weekend but looking to get some week nights in when lights arrive.

happy to ride with anyone. PM me if you want some contact details.
    Ched
  • I go up there quite regularly but i'm doing a 10k run on the 3rd and too much activity in a weekend might kill me.

It's worth reading the web site .

http://www.chasetrails.co.uk/

ps - don't try the monkey trail if you're a bit rusty.
  • :D Hi Eevryone,
    It would be great to meet up and go riding one of the weekends as I am keen to start getting out on my bike as often as I can and have been a bit wary about going out alone even though I have done it a few times. I am full of motivation and willing to work hard at every ride though. As neither of you can make this weekend can you make it the 16th or 17th October. Can do Cannock Chase if that's okay for starters. Haven't done the Monkey Trail yet but I will give it a go as I love any challenge.

Let me know and anyone else that wants to give it a go :D

Samantha
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Hi Samantha,

Have you posted on the Chase Trails forum?

If you don't already know about it, you can get to it at

http://www.bikeadventuresuk.com/forum/index.php

I'm sure there'll be plently of riding buddies on there.
    Craig Rogers
  • katel
    katel Posts: 12
    hi Samantha,

did you find anyone to go riding with next weekend? i'd be up for either day if you're still planing on going

i'm normally a road rider, but after a couple of mountain bike rides i think i'm on the verge of being hooked!

cheers
    kate
  • I ride Cannock fairly regularly, the marked trails and the local knowledge (with a guide!). Planning on an evening visit this week either tomorrow or Friday. I haven't been out for a few weeks but previously was out 3 or 4 times per week so am reasonably fit and capable! But would mirror borntobemild statement above - avoid the Monkey if you are not confident. It's about 10 times more technical than FTD, but soo much fun!

My availability is going to be patchy from now on but I may be able to meet up with you from time to time :)
  • Stan Leigh
    Stan Leigh Posts: 168
    edited September 2010
    Woo Hooh !

I've been looking for an opportunity to sample Cannock mid week , evenings .

I can't get there this week , but , generally speaking what time would you start & how long are you out ?

Stan :lol:
  • If I go out Friday it will be for however long a circuit of the Monkey takes, 2 hours ish. I;m planning on being there mid afternoon this week though have done it in the dark too.
    If I were to go midweek it would be 6 at the earliest, depending on the day.
  • I am pretty hit and miss and still need by lights so evenings will become harder until i get them. However anyone is free to pm if they want to share details, the more buddies the better.....

Ched
  • Excellent , thanks for getting back to me !

I pass Cannock on the M6 every 2 or 3 weeks . As soon as my random schedule allows , I'll be in touch about sorting something out.

I'll keep an eye on this thread in the mean time & look forward to seeing you soon.

Thanks , Stan 8)
  • im up for it all the time but i dont have transport .cheers to slowslowslow for the wkend ride if it wasent for the fact i ordered the wrong headset :oops: :cry: i would have loved it
  • ironically i'm at Cannock on 17th Oct doing Go Ape with some mates from work. Will take bike as well and if not too sh*gged as a result of aerial exertions intend to do ftd.

i'm too old and unfit for monkey trail.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    The Slow Rides for Unfit People group are planning a night ride at Cannock in November. We're planing on taking in a couple of hours of natural trails in the afternoon and then a cafe stop to refuel before attempting FTD under floodlights.

All welcome.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/eve ... 192&ref=ts
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Is slow rides for unfit people a group? If so is it open to anyone? Do fancy getting into nightriding but could do with buddies........
    Ched
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Is slow rides for unfit people a group? If so is it open to anyone? Do fancy getting into nightriding but could do with buddies........
    Ched

Yes we are. We have an ongoing thread in the MTB Rides section of this forum but most of the organising seems to have moved to the Facebook group now. I keep the Forum thread current with the title changing to the details of the next group ride.

The night ride is something I thought would be a laugh but I need to sort out some lights first. We've pencilled the first one in for Cannock on 20th November, but before that we have some of the group gounf to Coed Y Brenin on the weekend of 8-10 October and a ride around the full Red route at Dalby on 30th October. I don't know if the night rides will become a regular thing due to the way the group's members are spread out, but I hope it does.

Search in Facebook for Slow Rides for Unfit People, it's an open group, or keep an eye on the forum thread for more info.

EDIT: we have a couple of group members who live quite close to Cannock Chase and ride there regularly so if you can't make the group events, I'm sure they would be happy to have you join them.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Fully
    Fully Posts: 257
    If any of you are about on Oct 23rd i might join you at Cannock. I am getting towards being middle aged, so i probably qualify :oops: . I used to ride up there all of the time, but i live in Germany for now. I am back in the UK on a course and visiting family though in Oct/Nov. I may be able to ride other weekends, but at the moment the 23rd is the only date that i can commit to. I've been riding myself for quite a while, but i'll be with at least one other fairly new rider.
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • Cheers Chesley,
    Busy the Brennin weekend but will keep an eye on the thread and search you out on facebook.
    Ched
  • Hi...we're doing Cannock chase on Sunday if you want to come....it will be a very slow pootle around the dog first....(we have a newbie with us and shes not very confident)

and then some of us are going back around to do the monkey!

It's a good fun group with plenty of banter and laughs...more about the fun than who can get around the fastest!

Pm me your details if your interested
    Biking whore of Wyre....rides with anyone!
  • x-isle
    Eek, bring your wetsuits looks like it's gonna be a wet one! :shock:

I'll be out and about with a group of riders on the Dog and Monkey on Sunday. If you see some wierd people standing around in the wet, say hello! :?
    Craig Rogers
  • Will do! But are you going to give me a clue...i'm a blond chick on a lapierre .zesty (hopefully bike in shop at mo) leaving at 10...if not i'll be on my old gaint anthem
  • Will do! But are you going to give me a clue...i'm a blond chick on a lapierre .zesty (hopefully bike in shop at mo) leaving at 10...if not i'll be on my old gaint anthem
  • x-isle
    Ha ha, I'll be on a white Orange 5 (with lots of red bits) with a group of 3 riders who are on one of our Level 3 courses. We'll be leaving Birches Valley at 10am and spending pretty much all day out on the Dog and Monkey.
    Craig Rogers
  • Hi Samanthalouise, Check out the Evans Cycles 'Ride it' event at Cannock this Saturday 6th Oct on their website. There are 3 different groups of us hooking up. If you've not heard of them they're organised rides with a short, medium and long route to choose from. Registration is £11. Not sure which route is planned but it'll probably take in some of the Chase trails. I'm looking forward to it as never ridden there before! If you want to join the now 8 of us I have white short hair and i'm on a Trek Remedy 8 or feel free to PM me.

Sorry if i'm telling you what you already know!

Sandy
  • x-isle
    The Evans rides are really good fun. They don't take any of the technical trails (Follow The Dog or Monkey), they usually keep to the fireroads and bridlepaths, in fact the route is shown on their website;

http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/cann ... tober-2010

I've never done the ride, but heard from a few people who have and said that they are great fun.

I was going to do it this year but can't make it. :cry:
    Craig Rogers
  • Hey x-isle,

We did the Coniston one and that was a leg burner! Bit disappointed we don't get to do the techy bits but the course is more techy than the Coniston one and i'm sure it'll be fun anyway. Planning on doing as many Evans as I can (In between all the other riding!)

Sandy
  • x-isle
    I'm sure you'll have a bundle of fun Sandy and I wish I wasn't busy on Saturday or I'd be there too. :D

I've been looking at the route on their site which I assume is the long one that is shown and it'll be a cracker, some great ups, some great downs and some brilliant views over the Chase. Good chance that you'll see Deer as it's getting close to rutting season, although with loads of riders about they might be in hiding.

Have a lot of fun whoever is riding! :)
    Craig Rogers
  • For wkend and night rides. Usually go to the Chase with friends at the weekend but they struggle to do the night rides as they are all tight arses and wont invest in some decent lights.

I live in Doveridge, nr Uttoxeter and do regular night rides around the lanes 10-20 miles, so let me know if anyone would like to join me.

Steve 07812 066940
    Am I puddled as a muppet or muddled as a puppet?
  • x-isle
    I'm not too far away from you Steve.

Always up for a ride, although time is a bit tight at the moment. I'll let you know when I'm free.
    Craig Rogers
  • Newbie on here. The other half lives a mile away from Birches Valley - so I am going to give the short course Evans ride a go on saturday
  • x-isle wrote:
    I'm not too far away from you Steve.

Always up for a ride, although time is a bit tight at the moment. I'll let you know when I'm free.

Nice one. I will be doing a ride 9.00am at the seven springs car park. Tag along...
    Am I puddled as a muppet or muddled as a puppet?