Would a return to national teams in the pro ranks be good?

spezial
spezial Posts: 142
edited October 2010 in Pro race
It's been a while since the peloton was divided up in this way, but would it be a good time to shake up the structure of the sport in the mens pro race calendar?

With all the negative press over the last few years, plus the adverse financial conditions, a lot of teams have struggled with establishing and retaining sponsorship, so would this national team angle help with this? Maybe this link to a national organisation and any arguable sponsorship benefits this might have may lead to a bit more stability with teams. There have been a raft of positive doping tests riders who have been riding for teams who are on the verge of going out of business (Gerolsteiner, Xacebo, etc, etc), so could this even help out in this respect a little too?

There are a few de facto national teams out there, such as Sky, Rabobank, Katusha, Astana and now Pegasus & the Luxembourg team. Although these teams may not have their lead rider(s) from the nations they "represent", their roots are often tied into the national teams (Rabobank & Sky both sponsor their associations). The UCI could specify that teams should have a majority of home grown riders, with a few overseas riders in there to balance things out.

I know this idea is far from perfect, as some smaller nations would struggle to fill a roster with enough riders to field a team for a full season's worth of events, but I thought it might be interesting to throw it out there and see what everyone thought.
"what's it pertaining?"

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I can't see it would really make much difference to the current doping culture.

When there is sucess, money and fame at stake, people will be tempted to cheat. It even happens at amateur level where there's no money or fame.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,057
    No it'd be rubbish.

Nationalism is sooo 19th & 20th Century.

Get over it!
  • And who'd want to sponsor Luxemburg? (Just as an example)
    How would the Italian team be picked and what would those left out do?
    It's a non-starter of an idea.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • spezial
    And who'd want to sponsor Luxemburg?

Well I guess we're about to find out!

There could be "B" squads as an equivalent to pro-conti teams I suppose for nations with more riders.

It's not an idea I've thought through massively, but it used to work, and it works in the Worlds, and I think the added stability it could potentially offer could be beneficial.

Most other sports where teams are involved have at least a handful of teams with established lineages and histories. What cycling teams can be traced back further than 20 years?
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Spezial wrote:
    Most other sports where teams are involved have at least a handful of teams with established lineages and histories. What cycling teams can be traced back further than 20 years?
    The difference is that most true team sports require a venue (ie stadium) which has a fixed geographic location and the fanbase is often linked to that area. Cycling is too nomadic for any team to have anything like a geographical area of operation.

I blame modialisation.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I think it's a bad idea as it's likely to just make the sport even more dominated by Belgian, Italian and Spanish riders.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    I think Pro teams should be selected in the same way we used to pick the teams for football at school break times.

Nominate team captains, line everybody else up, then the captains take it in turns to pick who they want

:)
  • spezial
    shm_uk wrote:
    I think Pro teams should be selected in the same way we used to pick the teams for football at school break times.

Nominate team captains, line everybody else up, then the captains take it in turns to pick who they want

:)

Michael Rasmussen would be the fat (thin) kid nobody wants!
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    As arguably the best run and most successful team is an American owned, Taiwanese sponsored, German managed, British lead collection of 14 different nationalities, I'll say it's a bad idea.

And there's hasn't been a hint of doping about them since Sinkewicz two and a half years ago.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I hate to be positive about HTC, but Rich is right. That is truely the model of the future.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Only problem is that some countries could field 3 or 4 teams and some countries only have a handful of decent riders - if that.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I think Brailsford would suddenly find a lot of Italians with British ancestry. Cue "Grannygate" again (For those familiar with Shane Howarth!).
  • Italy is pants at the Tour, all of their biggest riders too, Basso etc. have been popped for cheating but what else would you suspect? They've virtually had state sponsored programmes.