Flu

billynobates
billynobates Posts: 89
I've had the Flu since Sunday and whilst i have not trained since the Friday before, i was wondering if this is best to aid a swift recovery (rest) or whether moderate exercise would help? I'm going to be riding the BHF London to South Coast charity event on Saturday so the timing of this has been very unfortunate :oops:

Comments

• I've heard both sides of the story on this. Some say when ill it's best to do some moderate exercise but not to strain yourself. Others say anything other than bed rest will make things worse. I say it all depends on how you feel really. I normally try to do a very light ride even when feeling a bit under the weather, but when completely under the weather I avoid anything.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I feel your pain mate, i've got the Afan Monster on Sat and came down with ridiculous sneezing and snotting last night, my 2 year old has had a bit of a cold for the few days before me.
    Personally i'm on full rest till Sat morning now.
  • Thanks for the helpful advise guys, i'm now resigned to just cruising the event and hope that i don't get too deflated as people pass me or let my competative side get the better of me and risk blowing up before the end :oops:
  • If ill it is always best to rest and revover.

Exercising whilst ill (particularly with viral illnesses) can lead to serious complications, e.g. viral dilated cardiomyopathy.
    I have seen it happen to people cos I am the person they send you to when it does.

You will know when you feel better and you can do some light riding to get yourself back up and running then before you know you will be back up to full speed.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I agree, R+R with a flu. A cold, a bit of mild exercise can be beneficial, but a proper flu places a lot of strain on your system. You might make yourself worse.
  • I've had proper flu before and and i couldn't get out of bed, whether i'd wanted to or not..........
  • cakewalk
    cakewalk Posts: 220
    I've had the Flu since Sunday and whilst i have not trained since the Friday before, i was wondering if this is best to aid a swift recovery (rest) or whether moderate exercise would help? I'm going to be riding the BHF London to South Coast charity eZEDent on Saturday so the timing of this has been very unfortunate :oops:

I think you'll find that you have had a cold since Sunday - not the flu. If you had had the Flu then you would not be asking this question.
    Still a cold can really knock you out. Take it easy is my advice.
    "I thought of it while riding my bicycle."