Creaky seat.

retreads?
retreads? Posts: 11
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I've recently bought a new Fizik Gobi xm saddle & a Fizik Cyrano seatpost for my bike.
Whenever I push down hard on the saddle It makes a really loud creaking noise.
I think it's the saddle rails moving in the seatpost clamp, because when I do the clamp up tighter, it doesn't creak so much - but it still creaks though.
I've put grease on all the screws threads & heads, and even where the seat rails clamp, but it still creaks.........
I don't understand why, because being both the same brand they should fit together well right???
Can somebody help me??
Thanks.
mmmmmm.......... bikes..................

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Assuming there isn't a fault in the products, all I can suggest is cleaning everything thoroughly to make sure there is no dirt or swarf stopping you get a good seal. And then repeat the regreasing.

Worth checking that nothing is loose in terms of the rail mounting into the seat platform.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I would be surprised if the rails are creaking in the clamp, the noise is more likely to be coming from where the rails slot into the base of the saddle.

A squirt of WD40 should fix it.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    My bike creaks from the seat tube all the time if I dont frequently clean it out and grease it - could be the casue for you too - those pesky creaks are always hard to track down and generally come from somewhere you didnt expect!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I think cycle frame manufacturers are missing a trick, I'm sure there is some sort of military application for a device that can make a sound coming from one place sound like its coming from elsewhere?

but seriously bike frames have bizarre acoustic properties.
  • mystery h
    mystery h Posts: 154
    i had the same issue with mine but it wouldnt creak all the time, i ended up squirting gt85 into the bracket where the rails meet on the nose of the saddle as i seemed to have located the source (with the saddle off) and haven't had the problem since

make sure you give it a squirt pre-ride and after cleaning :wink:
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    I am 100% sure it's not the saddle/post interface but at the frame/post junction.
    I might be wrong though !!! :lol:
  • Wotcha,

Put a line of silicone along the channels of the seatpost mechanism.
    Clamp it up as normal and wipe off the excess silicone. When it dries you have a seal that cushions the rails and keeps any bits of grit out of where they can make noises.

I hate creaks and use this method everywhere two metal objects meet, it keeps the grit out and stops creaks :wink:
    Anders
    SWorks SL4 Tarmac
    2003 Specialized P3

President of the Sally Hibberd Appreciation Society
    Secretary for Team Rawhide
  • Pulled the whole seatpost head apart again last night and put grease everywhere I could.
    When I put it back together.................. IT DIDN'T CREAK ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
    I think the problem was where the bottom rail support pivots on the top of the post. Ít's not meant to move but it must just a little bit.
    Interesting what happened to my last seatpost......
    Bought my bike (scott ransom) second hand, and when I tried to pull it out it wouldn't move.

Guy I bought the bike off said the shop put a bit of carbon grip goo stuff on the post because was having trouble with the alloy post slipping in the carbon frame......
    Turned out that the post was well & truly jammed in there. Took it to my LBS & they tried (unsucessfully) to move it for about 1/2 an hour..........

Brought it home again & pulled the seat off & stuck an old set of handlebars in the seatpost clamp so I could get a bit more leverage - after 3 hours solid of squirting WD40 around the bottom of the post & twisting the bars seriously hard I finally got it to move........

When I finally got the thing out I found the carbon grip stuff had stuck so hard to the alloy post that I had taken about 2mm off the diameter of the post getting it out.

Lesson: NEVER put carbon grip crap on alloy!!!!!!!!!!!
    mmmmmm.......... bikes..................