2010 Metric Century Challenge

Comments

• pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Thanks as usual Velo - had a disastrous September - only one decent ride due to some illness, weekend entertaining etc - aiming at 25 now which would be one more than 2008, I think, when it was the fourth best total!! May see me sprinting for 15th this time. :D
  • Haha, i'm in the grupetto.

Still, almost lost it this month. Ran out of weekends in Sep, then had to run a half marathon on the final weekend, so did my ride after work in the final week, finishing back at work at 10:15pm. I felt pretty heroic. It aint 70, but it kept me alive to finish the challenge
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • Timmyflash
    Great stuff, just the sort of story I like to hear.
    Don't think about 70, it's the next 3 that count!
    Best of luck.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
    Enjoy the finest cycling in the Peak District.
    47, 75 and 111 mile routes.
    http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/
  • disaster of a september as well -- lowest mileage since december, when i rode 3 times the entire month! but three months to go, fingers crossed -- this challenge has been one of the major things getting me out to do longer rides! so thank you all.

and it is great when people put in details about their ride; find it fascinating to read (esp the guy who did about 3 rides > 100 km and then rocks the marmotte. amazing!).
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    What is it with September? I only managed to get out twice which made it my worst month of the year - following the best, ironically. Lack of riding in the last five / six weeks probably goes a long way to explaining the relative struggle around Rutland yesterday; although the headwind for the last 30k, diversion around Nether Broughton and short sharp climb back up onto the Leicestershire Wolds all contributed to the grind. Glad I had a couple of gels in the saddle bag. I really need to map some routes south/west of home so I can have a tail-wind helping me finish, or ask the local butcher to source me some special Spanish beef... :)
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    Grrrh! I am out; pothole induced mutibike pileup ealier this month leaves me with broken ulna and fractured thumb.

Good luck to all. :cry:
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • Been a great challenge this. But going pear-shaped for me. I now have a 2 day window in November to get my month's ride in, and then December I'm travelling in South America, so only a freewheel down the Worlds Most Dangerous Road will be my only cycling, but that may fall short of 100km's. It will be the easiest miles of the year nevertheless 8)
  • Just bought a fixed gear bike. Might have a go at this month's on that. Been on in twice. Bit of a thrill. Pan-flat required.

Fixeh
  • Timmy
    Most of my winter rides are done on fixed, usually plan a nice route with a cafe half way.
    Good luck all those still in.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Brrrr, that was a chilly one!
  • Hi Velo,
    I'm afraid I've been shocking at updating my post. I thought I was a month behind but have just realised it was actually two. Fully understand if I'm dumped for hopeless admin, but I did manage a couple in each of Sep and Oct including a stunning Picos (northern Spain) ride and a less adventurous but equally sunny ride to and through the gorgeous autumnal Windsor great park.
    FWIW I'm up to 30 so my target of 40 is looking impossible but I've still got a chance of matching last year despite doing more running [last year I was at 31 at end Oct].

Really sorry to hear about gbs' mishap. Hope the healing is superfast.

Nick
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    Hi Velo,

Really sorry to hear about gbs' mishap. Hope the healing is superfast.

Nick

Nick, Thanks for yr interest; broken on 07/10, pinned and wired up on 09/10, plaster off on 26/10. "Clean break, good bones and a good fixation" said the Registrar. Excellent service at yr local - CX Hospital. Now the hard grind of physio.

I may be able to sneak in an easy century ride in January; so if you wish to repeat yr ride to WGP let me know.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • gbs wrote:
    I may be able to sneak in an easy century ride in January; so if you wish to repeat yr ride to WGP let me know.
    That is a fast mend.
    I'll be in the UK first couple of weeks of Jan then away for a month. I'll PM you,
    Nick
  • Sorry the November update is a bit late, PC problems.
    Rider Points
    Airwave 78
    toontra 54
    daibhi 50
    lucky paddy 45
    bikergirl17 37
    Big Ted 36
    genki 36
    threelionsbrian 36
    redgreenbaron 30
    in-gearjohn 27
    Fuji Mackers 26
    Mad One 24
    pdstsp 24
    pneumatic 16
    velocitizen 15
    leedsmjh 14
    Batch78 13
    MikeEye 13
    timmyflash 13
    Pollys Bott 11

Got my November ride in today, great weekend for it.
    December will be a club 'Mince pie run'
    Best of luck to those still in.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • batch78
    Cheers Velo, good luck everyone only a couple left now!
  • Oh dear, continue to tumble down the table!

Hmm, do i don't i try to 'do better' next year...

Fixeh
  • batch78
    Well only you can answer that.

Just remember its a challenge, to yourself, nobody wins nobody loses, so long as you complete one a month you've succeeded.

If your priority next year is miles in the legs then yes I'd suggest you challenge yourself to try to do better. Personally I'll probably not enter next year as short distance TT's are gonna be my main aim and struggling to fit a century in just to complete isn't helpful.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    timmyflash wrote:
    Oh dear, continue to tumble down the table!

Hmm, do i don't i try to 'do better' next year...

Have no fear, you'll tumble no further... :lol:
  • velocitizen
    velocitizen Posts: 327
    edited December 2010
    November update on the Challenge.
    Glad to see so many people stil in?
    Bikergirl17 Did you finish the ride pushing the bike or with it in the car or on the train?
    Those names in red still need to post a November ride.
    December ride for me should be on the 'Mince Pie run' to Belton, or earlier if we get a nice day.

Rider Points
    Airwave 85
    toontra 57
    daibhi 52
    lucky paddy 45
    bikergirl17 37
    Big Ted 36
    genki 38
    threelionsbrian 39
    redgreenbaron 31
    in-gearjohn 29
    Fuji Mackers 26
    Mad One 24

pdstsp 25
    pneumatic 17
    velocitizen 16
    leedsmjh 15
    Batch78 13
    MikeEye 14
    timmyflash 14
    Pollys Bott 12

Good luck in December everyone.
    Who would be interested in a 2011 chalenge? Same format?
    If there is interest I'll post one up Mid-December, any volunteers to do the monthly updates?
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Cheers Velo. I'll be in for 2011 - great motivator. I'll even volunteer to do the updates as you seem to have been stitched up for years!!

Good luck to everyone this month - looking crap at the moment!

Paul
  • Those names in red still need to post a November ride.
    Mad One 24

Done a couple - will get on it, sorry :oops:
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Just to show what a great motivator this has been, it is December 1st and I am already very concerned about how I am going to get to finish the challenge for this year. :( Two feet of snow out there right now. Just in case, I've already plotted a 20k circuit right on the coast that I can do five times over as soon as the thaw sets in. :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    Cough,cough.Still in,here at the back,sir :lol:
  • Airwave wrote:
    Cough,cough.Still in,here at the back,sir :lol:

Sorry Airwave must have missed you off, edited to include you now.
    Good effort this year!
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305

Good luck in December everyone.
    Who would be interested in a 2011 chalenge? Same format?
    If there is interest I'll post one up Mid-December, any volunteers to do the monthly updates?

December could be interesting. It might have to be done on a MTB at this rate :?

Definitely we need the same sort of challenge in 2011. This one has had me extending many rides just to make it up to 100km.

It would be too hard to calculate, but anyone heard of, or calculated, their Eddington Number? I suppose it could be applied to a single year as well as over a lifetime.
    Wikipdia wrote:
    Eddington number (cycling)
    Eddington is credited with devising a measure of a cyclist's long distance riding achievements. The Eddington Number in this context is defined as E, the number of days a cyclist has cycled more than E miles.[5][6] For example an Eddington Number of 70 would imply that a cyclist has cycled more than 70 miles in a day on 70 occasions. Achieving a high Eddington number is difficult since moving from, say, 70 to 75 will probably require more than five new long distance rides since any rides shorter than 75 miles will no longer be included in the reckoning.
  • Genki

Mine must be 62.18.
    December should be OK, we won't have a month of this will we?
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • Airwave
    After the weather's tried to freeze us this past week or so it looks as though next week it will be trying to drown us.But it's looking like it's going to hot,so shorts&tee shirts :lol:
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    genki wrote:
    It would be too hard to calculate, but anyone heard of, or calculated, their Eddington Number? I suppose it could be applied to a single year as well as over a lifetime.
    Wikipdia wrote:
    Eddington number (cycling)
    Eddington is credited with devising a measure of a cyclist's long distance riding achievements. The Eddington Number in this context is defined as E, the number of days a cyclist has cycled more than E miles.[5][6] For example an Eddington Number of 70 would imply that a cyclist has cycled more than 70 miles in a day on 70 occasions. Achieving a high Eddington number is difficult since moving from, say, 70 to 75 will probably require more than five new long distance rides since any rides shorter than 75 miles will no longer be included in the reckoning.

Never heard of this one, but just done an estimate of mine and I reckon I'm looking at about 80 in kilometres (i.e 80 x 80+km rides) over ten years!!! To start with, it is actually quite easy to raise your number; you just have to knock off the shortest one on your list and replace it with two rides longer than your target number. I guess I will start getting stuck at 100k, because of all the rides I have just done for the metric century challenge. :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• batch78
    Hate to say it but I'm out.

Not putting a computer on the winter bike until the last weekend of the month, then it failing to work was an error evidently! :roll:

Good luck everyone still in, I'll keep an eye on next years even if I don't partake myself.
  • Airwave
    That was the hardest one of the year,may be bacuase as it was a bit dodgy going into the interior i stayed on the coast&ended up doing laps around town.But i did go past Harry Redknapp's house/mansion 11 times.Hope when i wake up in the morning i have'nt become a spurs fan :roll: