Best HiViz waterproof jacket?

badgerman26
badgerman26 Posts: 125
edited October 2010 in Commuting general
So seen a few threads in the past but wondered what the long term tests thought are or any new options?

Guess looking for something vfm but not a sauna on warmer days.

Altura night vision evo or flight
Dhb amberly. This is not out is stock for new 2011 model. So no idea about new version
Proviz one which luminesces.
Any others?

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I have the Night Vision. Good jacket, but it's not the most breatheable, although I don't find this a problem between now and March: i've got a 15-mile commute, so I'd rather be warmer than colder.

Remember that the jacket will be partly obscured if you're wearing a backpack. So, if you're going down the hi-viz route, it's worth putting hi-viz/reflective stickers on your seat stays, or getting a Humpback cover for your backpack.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • For the last five years on my 30 minute commute I have been using Aldi Winter Cycling Jackets. At 14.99 they are a steal. The zip goes after a year or two but I keep it zipped up and put it over my head. They offer good windproofness and will easily keep out half an hour of rain, but more impoprtantly they keep you warm, which is the main requirement when commuting. I use it all year, in all weathers, simple base layer underneath in the summer; in the winter, a long-sleeved Merino wool top. The first part of my route has long down-hills and it keeps me warm then, and I don't overheat on the return climbs. I also use there winter full length cycling trousers in the winter, which have nice windblocking material on the front of the legs. Using this kit means that I am not knackering my best cycling gear, which, even if you by DHB products, is never cheap.

Armitage Shanks
  • b_c
    b_c Posts: 19
    I upgraded to the Altura Reflex from the Nightvision, lighter and more breathable.

PutneyCycles has them on offer at 40% off and i just noticed that Wiggle has the same deal ..must be a stock clearance sale.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Altur ... 360044954/
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    b_c wrote:
    I upgraded to the Altura Reflex from the Nightvision, lighter and more breathable.

PutneyCycles has them on offer at 40% off and i just noticed that Wiggle has the same deal ..must be a stock clearance sale.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Altur ... 360044954/

Oddly enough I've just bought one before clicking on this thread. Much as it pains me I've bought the yellow one as well.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    That is a steel at £70.

I recently brought an Altura crosslite for £50, couldn't find the reflex cheaper than £90, so couldn't justify the extra - however, might have stretched to £70.

Same material in both, which seems stunningly breathable for the price. Even the blue reflex has good visibilty, 'cause the relective trim is really good....
  • asprilla
    Is there much difference between the Crosslite and the Reflex?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Use the night vision but even during last winter I found myself overheating within the first 5 miles or so. Might go for base layer and long sleeve jersey this winter
  • Are there any differences in breathability with these suggested?
  • Have used a night vision for the last three years. To echo some of the already expressed opinions, I find I overheat in it easily and it's not very breathable. It has also discoloured to a pale green colour after several washes but I gather this is not unusual. All that said, It's got me through a number of winters commute in Switzerland.

Now it's finally started looking a bit tatty, I just bought a new Gore Cosmo II, pricey but a great bit of kit based on it's so far limited use.

Rob

2007 Price Street Speed
    2011 Trek Madone 4.7
  • Can someone, having used both, tell me which has the more 'roadie' rather than commuter cut please?
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • I also get hot very easily even in the winter.

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • PBo
    difference between reflex and crosslite?

Reflex is a slimmer, more athletic (edit: bike specific) cut, and has better/more reflectives - and comes with a stuff sack i think.

both have same breathability/waterproofness, which has reviewed well, and my early experience is that both are exceptional for the price.

ETA: i run hot, and start to sweat just putting my bike gear on, so breathability was important to me.....
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    edited September 2010
    Just ordered the yellow Reflex for £64.99 - used wiggle voucher after changing email preference - bargain 41% saving.
  • Which is better the night vision evo or reflex?

Are they the same breathability?
  • PBo
    Which is better the night vision evo or reflex?

Are they the same breathability?

The night vision evo does not use the same fabric, as I understand it, and is not as breathable - but better from a visibility pov (as you might expect from it's name! :) )
  • I tried on the Endura and Altura jackets today my current dark Adidas is a Med. these were both XS FFS! How big are the people who they make them for? My mate has an Altura 4 sizes bigger. i realize that they're commuters but stil.

• tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    i use a windproof one which i treat with proofing spray, always keeps me dry over a 9 mile commute so not sure you really need the heavier "waterproof" fabrics.
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • asprilla
    My Reflex Ergo Fit arrived yeterday and it's far too big. Seriously, someone needs to get a grip on sizing.

Unfortunately whilst waiting for delivery they had sold out of all the smaller sizes. Looks like the hunt continues.....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Kanga
    Kanga Posts: 131
    I tend to run hot as well, not helped by playing SCR, and wearing a back pack for the 8 miles each way most days. My 8 yo Altura is almost white in parts, and I'm no longer the XXL build that I was when I bought it, so time to upgrade. For daily commuting I want something warm/windproof/breathable, not full on waterproof, and removable sleeves would be good. Got a good blue Goretex jacket for weekend riding and want to reserve it for that.

Any thoughts ?
  • asprilla
    Kanga wrote:
    I tend to run hot as well, not helped by playing SCR, and wearing a back pack for the 8 miles each way most days. My 8 yo Altura is almost white in parts, and I'm no longer the XXL build that I was when I bought it, so time to upgrade. For daily commuting I want something warm/windproof/breathable, not full on waterproof, and removable sleeves would be good. Got a good blue Goretex jacket for weekend riding and want to reserve it for that.

Any thoughts ?

Gore Phantom by the sounds of things.

I don't have one, but everyone whoe does reckones it's the total dogs danglies.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    With the Nightvision jacket (and these in general) it beneficial to turn them inside out when not in use (well off the bike) as it airates it.

If they start to pong then consider taking it outside, inside out and spray down with the garden hose, drain and dry. Washing in the machine should be a last resort as it damages the water repellancy of the fibres. I picked up these tips from some serious walkers online.

I bought an Altura Pocket Rocket jacket about 2-3 years back. TBH its already lost its repellancy and only really works as a windstopper. I tend to go baselayer/jersey thesedays instead. The Rocket also doesnt fit right and flaps around a fair bit.
  • asprilla
    If it loses it's waterproofing then wash it or spray it with a reproofer such as Scotchguard or Nikwax.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Asprilla wrote:
    If it loses it's waterproofing then wash it or spray it with a reproofer such as Scotchguard or Nikwax.

Have done twice with techwash. I also note that the lip on the zip doesnt stay put and wrinkles up (perhaps I should wax it to stiffen it :? ) I beleive its the fabric used.
  • I found the Night Vision awful to be honest.

So invested in a Gore Oxygen rain jacket. Much much much better.

And, of course, when I have a rucksack on you lose most of the jacket. So I have a Respro hump P15 over the rucksack to make up for it.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Night Vision Evo here, Its AMAZING, Lov It !
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.