Earliest date to ride in the Alps or Belgium?

trtimothy
trtimothy Posts: 117
edited October 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

Basically I was wondering if anyone knew the earliest date it would be possible to ride around Tignes and Val D'Isere...basically when are the roads clear? Also what is the earliest its possible to get good weather (as in not snowing, I know the weather is always horrible) in Belgium

Thanks for any advice!

Tom

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    This is a photo from me In the Alps in late June this year...

AlexwalkingupGalibier.jpg
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    When I did the Iseran on about 8th June, the pass had only been cleared about a week before, and there were 10' high walls of snow by the edges of the road. It was completely clear up to about half way between Val d'Isere and the top.
    (several years ago)
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    The pistes are still open until mid-May - although it gets sketchier lower down. The road is cleared up to Le Fornet but beyond that, IIRC, it is used as a piste.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    The weather in Belgium is pretty much as in the UK (assuming that's where the OP is from). Extremely unpredictable in March and April, well, year round basically. That said, the Ardennes do get much more snow than Flanders in the winter. In Flanders it would be more ice on the roads than snow as obstacle in January/February
  • Garrigou
    Garrigou Posts: 145
    I spent a week at the Ardennes Classics this year & it rained once. Most days were bright & pleasant to ride in, albeit needing a jacket or gilet/arm warmers. Not sure it's always like that though!
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Anyone been to Alpe D'Huez in late June?
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • durhamwasp wrote:
    Anyone been to Alpe D'Huez in late June?

I'm guessing that NapD has, but I've done the climb in June a few years ago. It wasn't as warm as July or August, obviously, but there wasn't very much open on Alpe d'Huez. We were hoping to get something to eat when we got to the top, but just ended up buying a Coke from a vending machine and then riding straight back down.