Another BC points question .............

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited October 2010 in Amateur race
Woman 4th cat rider, got points in two races within her region, total 12 (8 and 4).

BC rider page shows:

National points: 12

Regional Points: 0

Can anyone explain this to me. What is the difference? And the inevitable question, how many National or Regional points does she need to become a 3rd Cat.*

Also, why doe women's races award 15 points for a win? Thought it was 10. Dunno.

*yes, I know women's race cats can be more than a bit nonsensical (in some cases!!)

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    proto wrote:
    Woman 4th cat rider, got points in two races within her region, total 12 (8 and 4).

She's a 3rd cat now.

All womens races are national, there's no regional rankings for women so she has no regional points.

The womens races tend to be in the higher band because they're E/1/2/3/4 I guess, or maybe just because of points inflation... I guess it's just the way it is.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I thought that an E1234 had to be run as a regional c+ or c, that getting round the rule that you could only have 3 categories racing together, maybe the rules are different for the women.

For the OP - as far as upgrading a licence goes points are points whether you get them in a regional race (normally a race for categories below 1st) or a national race.

However BC has regional rankings and national rankings. For the former it takes the points you scored in your own region in regional races - disregarding regional points scored outside your region. For national rankings it takes the points you have scored in national races (races that include 1st cats and above).

I don't really get why BC excludes regional points scored in other regions from their rankings but someone must have thought it was a good idea.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    The races the points were gained in must have been classed as National level. As I understand it, points gained in that category go against the rider but do not count for their club's regional ranking points for some bizzarre reason. This also explains the 15 points for a win as National level races get a higher points allocation.
  • Tom Butcher
    15 is for winning a Regional B or an A on a circuit

It's all here !

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/a ... _Explained

• proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Thanks all.

So, as it's an E/1/2/3/4 race it's National, and as it's National, it's a 15 pointer?

PS when does the BC rider page update to reflect the new category status - now? next season?
  • Tom Butcher
    Not necessarily. I understood that there was a rule restricting organisers to running a maximum of three cats together - so E12, 2/3/4, 1/2/3 etc. The only way round that was to run it as a Regional C (or possibly C+) which allowed for all cats to race together - essentially this was to allow handicap racing but could be used for an all cat bunch start. S

Now it may be the rules are different for women, that that rule has been changed or it may just be that it is being overlooked or else I am wrong - because I didn't think you could have a national all cat race and either way it wouldn't be a 15 pointer!

You can look up the classification of any given race in the calendar/results anyway and the points allocation will follow from the race classification.

• jibberjim
    because I didn't think you could have a national all cat race and either way it wouldn't be a 15 pointer!

All womens racing, like all youth racing is national, there's only regional racing for men.
  • Tom Butcher
    Don't think that is quite right, there are Regional classification races on the calendar for women - of course they can and sometimes do also enter standard Regional classification races against men too. Do you mean they just tally all the points together from regional and national races for women ?

• jibberjim
    Don't think that is quite right, there are Regional classification races on the calendar for women

They're classified as "Regional C+" or whatever, but if you look at the rankings of the rider which is where the OP came in, they'll appear on the list as national points even though they were obtained in a race which is nominally a regional one.

I believe all points gained in mens regional races also appear the same as a national ranking points for women - certainly in the BC site at the moment there are women who scored in mens regional races who do not have any regional points.