How easy is it to fit disc brakes? IS or Post Mount?

stuisnew
stuisnew Posts: 366
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
How easy is it to fit a new disc brake set? I have mechanical discs on my Kona Fire Mountain deluxe and want to get some proper discs before the winter is upon us...

Looking at the Skeletals for £90 or Deore for £100.

Also, the whole IS / Post Mount thing. I understand the front is post mount (I think, have 2010 RS Reba SLs) but is the rear post mount or IS?

Last time I fitted brakes it was a set of STX-RC V Brakes in the mid 1990's! :D

Comments

• ma9mwah
    ma9mwah Posts: 53
    fitting a new set should be easy if they system comes pre-bled. All you have to do is bolt it on. Looking at pictures the Rebas are POST mount, and almost all bikes have an IS Rear brake mount.
  • stuisnew
    Ok that makes sense, thanks for that. I thought it would be fairly strauightforward.
    Looking at the sets available they all are pre-bled. Certainly easier than setting up a set of canti's back in the day!

I'll look out for the post mount / IS combo.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Only problem is a lot of brake sets come with miles of hose so that they can fit all sizes of bike. Unless you dont mind loads of spare hose flapping about you might have to shorten the hoses and do a bleed anyway. Dont know about the Skeletal brakes but the new Deores are relatively easy to bleed unlike the old ones which could take hours to get the last bubble out.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stuisnew
    stubs wrote:
    Only problem is a lot of brake sets come with miles of hose so that they can fit all sizes of bike. Unless you dont mind loads of spare hose flapping about you might have to shorten the hoses and do a bleed anyway. Dont know about the Skeletal brakes but the new Deores are relatively easy to bleed unlike the old ones which could take hours to get the last bubble out.

Cheers stubs. I also noticed the same problem the other way around - one online retailer were selling really cheap disc sets but with small warnings that the cables were really short and wouldn't fit anything other than a really small frame.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Ideally you want to find a used or OEM set that has been set for a similar bike, then everything should fit fine.

Whatever you buy, make sure that you get the rotors/discs too and you might as well consider larger discs if you are needing the change the mounts anyway.

e.g.

new

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-Avid-Juicy-3 ... 3f038ac988

used

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Avid-Juicy-3-disk ... 43a221bf75
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I fitted a set of deores last year - they are pretty easy to bleed following the paperwork that comes with them - I did the lot, fitted, filled with fluid, bled and aligned and it took me maybe an hour to learn for the front brake and 20 mins for the rear once I had it down.

Bled them earlier this year and took maybe 10 mins to remember how it worked on the first one then 2 mins to do the other. Simples innit?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure new mounts are needed, the existing callipers are almost certainly Post mount with an IS adaptor at the rear, so the new callipers should be a one for one replacement.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    If you haven't hit the submit button yet you might want to check out this offer from On One - Avid Elixir CR Carbons for £107 . . .

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BCAVELIXCRC/avid-elixir-cr-carbon-disc-brake
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Thats just for one end though so its £220 for both still a good price but not such a bargain
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    Fitting them is just a case of doing up bolts, though unless you've very good judgement you may want a torque wrench to do this - it's easy to over-tighten them and snap a bolt, and probably not much fun if you don't get them tight enough.