Concept2 Challenge Series ..... Anyone signing up?

springtide9
springtide9 Posts: 1,731
More details at: http://concept2.co.uk/challengeseries/

Basically once a month you have a challenge for the next 9 months, plus a few bonus rounds thrown in for good measure.

If a few people enter here, maybe we could create a 'Mini League' to compare our results (and encourage us to train harder!)?
Simon

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I'll have a bit of that mate yes.

I did 3-4 of the events about 12 months back but for some reason missed a few.

Will re-sign up now.

I've created a mini-league called bikeradar.com :)

Sign on up.

I've not done much rowing recently so my first couple of events may be rubbish.

Looking at my time from last year i'm looking 1120-1150m for the first event of 4 mins.
  • weeksy59 wrote:
    I'll have a bit of that mate yes.

I've created a mini-league called bikeradar.com :)

Looking at my time from last year i'm looking 1120-1150m for the first event of 4 mins.

Cool. I've just signed up to the bikeradar.com mini-league :)
    Simon
  • I|d be all over that if I had a rowing machine at home to do it on. How much do those concept 2s run anyway_
  • weeksy59
    £500-1000
  • weeksy59 wrote:
    £500-1000

Looks like there's just the two of us... [ isn't that a song? :) ]

Anyway, to get a few more people, I've also posted in the road section.

Let us know when you've done your time? Might have another go on Sunday as I found out after the event that a friend has beaten me by 7m (although it was not surprising).

Anyway, hope all is well.
    Simon
  • weeksy59
    1122m today.

I rekon if i'd been doing a bit more rowing recently i'd manage an 1140 but 1122 is the time i'll enter.
  • weeksy59 wrote:
    1122m today.

I rekon if i'd been doing a bit more rowing recently i'd manage an 1140 but 1122 is the time i'll enter.

Good result considering:
    a) you haven't been rowing much
    b) you must be shot after Afan

I was going to have another go this week, but not sure I can face it. Biggest issue is that I'm pretty sure I can't improve on the time. The worst bit is that one of my friends (who just did a half iron man) - his first distance was 1196, which I got very close too. I've never managed to even get close to his times on the rower (he used to row < 6m30s 2k), so I was so close this time, but also so far away!
    He will row again before the end of the month - and I'm sure his time will improve massively, but it would have been good to be in front, just the once! Not that I'm competitive :)

Started doing the 10x500m interval training you suggested (which is not possible for me after the 4min row, lol), and that is another killer.
    Really felt the 10x 500m this week - which I'm sure added to a worse performance on Saturday on the bike. But as a friend used to say, if hurts after training/exercise, you've pushed yourself and will make fitness gains!

Anyway, now for the 2000m training. Are we aiming for under 7:00min LOL
    Simon
  • weeksy59
    under 7.00 is a 1.45 average mate... i can't keep that up for another 3 mins on top of the one we've just done...

I'll be happy with sub 7.20 for now giving me a 1.50 average / 500
  • weeksy59
    7m 28,9 today for the 2000.

Wasn't really trying that hard till the last 750m... so i think that 7.15-20 should be realistic.

7m 00.... Nahhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • weeksy59 wrote:
    7m 28,9 today for the 2000.

Wasn't really trying that hard till the last 750m... so i think that 7.15-20 should be realistic.

7m 00.... Nahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Come on.... you've got a months worth of training before you need to submit your best time :)

I'm too scared to do the 2k yet!!! Spent too much time doing the longer distances, and those short distance sprints really (really) hurt.

Still taking your advice (and got some from the trainer at the gym) regarding internal training. It hurts, but I think it's working mixing the sessions up - so thanks for the advice.
    Simon
  • FYI - note that I have also invited the 'roadies' to the challenge... :)
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12731874

And there is now an extension.....

From Concept2's Website:

Round 1 - Deadline Extension
    Due to popular demand, it being the first round and we want to give people a chance to get back into it, we have extended the deadline for the first round of the Challenge Series by 1 week. This means you now have until Friday 8th October to get your 4 minute row results entered (log in at concept2.co.uk/challengeseries/log_in).

Round 2
    If you've already submitted your time and want to move on to Round 2 (the 1 mile row) then any result from 1st October can still be submitted but not until 11:01pm on Friday 8th October.
    Simon
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    Hello from the road forum. :)

I've only just started road cycling (few months) and stopped rowing years ago. I managed 1127m, I reckon at my best I'd have done 1258m so it's no wonder I'm rubbish at climbing hills and that even MTBers have beaten me on the Concept 2 ;)
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • springtide9
    @weeksy59: Got a few 'roadies' on board! Hope you are OK with inviting the roadies :) Are you planning another 4min row before the cut-off date?
    Simon
  • springtide9
    2nd and definitely last attempt. Final Distance in 4 mins: 1193m (+4m)
    I was hoping for 1200m, but no chance.

Simon :D
    Simon
  • weeksy59
    Sorry, no can do.

Currently sitting drinking beer and looking at expensive boats and sailing bobbies in a Marina in puerto calero in lanzarote.

Life is tough
  • springtide9
    weeksy59 wrote:
    Sorry, no can do.

Currently sitting drinking beer and looking at expensive boats and sailing bobbies in a Marina in puerto calero in lanzarote.

Life is tough

Lol. Have a beer for me you lucky ..... :)
    Simon
  • springtide9
    I keep looking at my overall ranking for my age, and everyday I keep slipping a few places. As it is the last day to had to have another go...

+3m so now at 1196.

I would have preferred a few beers in the sun mind you! Some people have a tough life! :)
    Simon
  • Is it too late to join the mini league?

I've signed up for the challenge but don't think I'll be able to get to the gym tonight to enter the first part of the challenge :(
  • springtide9
    Is it too late to join the mini league?

I've signed up for the challenge but don't think I'll be able to get to the gym tonight to enter the first part of the challenge :(

You have until 11pm tonight to enter in a time for the 4min row.

If you have already tried a 4min row this month (or should I say last month), you can use that distance.

You can join the mini leages anytime I think.
    Simon
  • weeksy59
    I'm going to have a pop at the 1mile today.

I inadvertently entered my time for the 2000m yesterday... and even then i did it wrong too lol.

so 1609m today... Will be doing at the end of workout so won't be setting the world on-fire.
  • weeksy59
    5 mins 53.1s
  • springtide9
    weeksy59 wrote:
    5 mins 53.1s

Cool. Good time and will be using your pace as a guide. Know the extra 500m isn't possible at my last pace, so it will b e a bit of trial and error getting this right.

Not trying myself this week as I have the Bristol ride on Saturday and having an easy week (as well as twisting my knee playing with the kids yesterday!)

Hopefully will enter a time a week tomorrow!
    Simon
  • weeksy59
    That was about a 1.49.6 average i think.

I rekon i've got a 1.47 or so in me on fresh lungs as this was after a hard pace (for me anyway) 5km run and a bit of cycling.
  • weeksy59
    I'm getting too old for this LOL.

Did a 5000 today, 19mins 05. Not bad i thought.

Deffo not a sport for 39 (in 2 weeks) year old blokes. LOL
  • springtide9
    weeksy59 wrote:
    I'm getting too old for this LOL.

Did a 5000 today, 19mins 05. Not bad i thought.

Deffo not a sport for 39 (in 2 weeks) year old blokes. LOL

I see now... you are in secretly training for the next events... think I've created a monster!
    19:05 is a great time for 5k.

Not that I'm trying to get some kudos points back, but I can just about remember when I was 39 years young (LOL, only just 41).

Have this 'trial marathon race' this weekend (Bristol Bikefest).. when I say trial... I'd like to have a go at a few marathons next year, but want to know I can do the distance. 8 hrs at 30mins a lap means that - if I can't do the distance...it;s not far back to the start line (rather than bonking at the top of a mountain with hours/miles to go!)

Once this weekend is over, you'd better watch out... I'm going after your times.. :lol:
    Simon
  • wastrel
    wastrel Posts: 55
    You two youngsters!
    5:59.2 for the mile.
    Happy to keep this on the MB board if you like - less busy here.
    I used to race mountain bikes in the old 'no - suss' days too. Got a stunning 4th at Newnham? Park (Plymouth) in about 1990 I think on a steel Raleigh....now that's old!
    That was when elliptical chainrings were in their first incarnation.
  • weeksy59
    wastrel wrote:
    You two youngsters!
    5:59.2 for the mile.
    Happy to keep this on the MB board if you like - less busy here.
    I used to race mountain bikes in the old 'no - suss' days too. Got a stunning 4th at Newnham? Park (Plymouth) in about 1990 I think on a steel Raleigh....now that's old!
    That was when elliptical chainrings were in their first incarnation.

LOL i'm only 6 secs ahead of a pensioner then !!!!

I'm not sure where i'm going to find any more seconds though... i'll have a damn good try over the coming weeks. Tomorrow will be just cycling indoors, then Thurs/Fri/Sun on MTB so won't get any more times in till next week now.
  • springtide9
    weeksy59 wrote:

It seems that none of us are 'spring chickens' LOL

Take a look at the age groups and number of people who have signed up:
    http://concept2.co.uk/challengeseries/results

I think it's pretty funny that we are mostly all in our 30's, 40's and 50's. I guess it's cheaper than buying a sports car :) [my car has 'sport' in it's name, but I wouldn't call my oil burning estate sporty!]
    Simon
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 wrote:

It seems that none of us are 'spring chickens' LOL

Take a look at the age groups and number of people who have signed up:
    http://concept2.co.uk/challengeseries/results

I think it's pretty funny that we are mostly all in our 30's, 40's and 50's. I guess it's cheaper than buying a sports car :) [my car has 'sport' in it's name, but I wouldn't call my oil burning estate sporty!]

I have motorbikes for my mid-life crisis ;)
  • I'd forgotten how unfit I was until I tried the mile today!

6:55.8

At least there's plenty scope for improvement for me :D