running

ged123
ged123 Posts: 36
hi been doing some running as my bike is off the road was just wondering how benificial running was for cycling . would appreciate any input thank you

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Cardio work is cardio work, regardless of what it is, however, running doesn't benefit cycling, and vice versa.
  • newtez2
    newtez2 Posts: 209
    u ARE KIDDING Danowat!
    They benefit each other!!!
    Iv been running for 5 years at leat 3 times a week and ride a lot more in the summer,
    If i havnt been on the bike for a few weeks it dosnt show when i do the long miles i still have plenty of stamina to tap into,
    Also find i helps with the hilly climbings, i find i can big depper and push harder on the bike if i have been running hard for a few weeks!!
    hills are made for climbing .....
    Bikes
    2008 Gaint TCR
    1990 Mike Mullet 531c
    1980 BSA javerlin
    1975 Trike.
  • I agree with danowat's point. The cardio work of either will benefit each, but the physical mechanics of each sport don't naturally benefit each other.

If you want to be a good runner, you are better to solely run. If you want to be a good cyclist, you are better to solely cycle. However, particularly for running, if you reach a point where you can't increase mileage due to injury, the added cardio work will be beneficial.

As a runner, I started cycling in the summer due to an injury. Am used to running 70+ miles a week and found riding 150+ miles a week pretty easy. But when I went back to running, although my pace/HR correlation was roughly the same, my legs struggled with the pounding over a longish run (13 miles+).

Fact is, you only improve your running by running and I assume the same for cycling. Although with running, you can ease some of the impact by getting some good cardio on the bike. The 4-5 hour rides (+ other shorter rides) I've done over the summer have acted as a good aerobic base for my return to running over the winter. Although I do intend to keep a long ride in each week to give me that aerobic boost. In summer I will switch back to cycling to have a rest from the impact running but maintain fitness.

Bit of a long waffle there :oops:
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I agree with danowat's point. The cardio work of either will benefit each, but the physical mechanics of each sport don't naturally benefit each other.

If you want to be a good runner, you are better to solely run. If you want to be a good cyclist, you are better to solely cycle. However, particularly for running, if you reach a point where you can't increase mileage due to injury, the added cardio work will be beneficial.

As a runner, I started cycling in the summer due to an injury. Am used to running 70+ miles a week and found riding 150+ miles a week pretty easy. But when I went back to running, although my pace/HR correlation was roughly the same, my legs struggled with the pounding over a longish run (13 miles+).

Fact is, you only improve your running by running and I assume the same for cycling. Although with running, you can ease some of the impact by getting some good cardio on the bike. The 4-5 hour rides (+ other shorter rides) I've done over the summer have acted as a good aerobic base for my return to running over the winter. Although I do intend to keep a long ride in each week to give me that aerobic boost. In summer I will switch back to cycling to have a rest from the impact running but maintain fitness.

Bit of a long waffle there :oops:

Much more eliquently put than I could put it, this is my point.

I used to run exclusively, when I started cycling, I sucked, cycling, and cycling alone improved my cycling, and I am sure if I went back to running, I'd suck even more than I di before!!
  • newtez2
    newtez2 Posts: 209
    Agree with what you are saying!
    Running does really take it out of your legs if your not use to it or havnt been for a run in a few weeks.
    But cardio is good in any form :wink:
    hills are made for climbing .....
    Bikes
    2008 Gaint TCR
    1990 Mike Mullet 531c
    1980 BSA javerlin
    1975 Trike.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I think there is a bit of crossover - just anecdotal from my own training and looking at others but adding a bit of running does help your cycling and vice versa imo. Of course that's not to say that spending that extra time training specifically wouldn't have been more effective.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • ged123
    ged123 Posts: 36
    thanks for all ur input guys just when am short of time I try and put in a short run to keep fit